Bank of America problems

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LinuxUserSince1991

Bank of America problems

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

For the first time ever, I've hit on a problem with Bank of America. Specifically, in its bill pay, editing a scheduled payment, I can enter the new amount/date, but when I press the blue 'Save Changes' button, a red 'no' sign replaces my cursor's hand and nothing happens. Ditto for other payment-editing functions, such as 'Cancel Payment.' Works like a charm in Chrome. :(

Just FYI, I've had this BofA account since 1991 and this is the first time I've EVER had a problem with any of its site's features. I know other people have had very different experiences, but it's been smooth sailing for me until now.
DanRaisch

Re: Bank of America problems

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Works like a charm in Chrome. :(
Update to latest SeaMonkey 2.53.7:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.7/

If it will not help then spoof User Agent:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14887234

You can choose between Windows and Linux UA... :twisted:

Of course, there is some chance it will not help. Then Chrome(-ium) browser... 8-[
--
LinuxUserSince1991

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Honestly, I haven't tried that yet--I just came straight here from BofA.
LinuxUserSince1991

TPR75 wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Works like a charm in Chrome. :(
Update to latest SeaMonkey 2.53.7:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... key2.53.7/
I was hoping to avoid updating again. I'm very lazy about updating/upgrading in general, so this is not new for me!
If it will not help then spoof User Agent:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14887234
Yeah, but I really hate doing that. I use a zillion sites and strongly prefer to leave the user agent as it really is.
You can choose between Windows and Linux UA... :twisted:
Well, no, I really can't (not that I would want to). There are no windows products in my ecosystem!
Of course, there is some chance it will not help. Then Chrome(-ium) browser... 8-[
I'm just getting frustrated with having to switch to Chrome more and more lately. There are numerous sites that no longer work with SM, but did for years and years. I've posted about some, but there are others I haven't bothered posting about. Maybe being more aggressive in terms of updating SM would help, but from reading other posts it seems that SM is working with fewer and fewer sites these days.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I have also avoided updating my user agent; in fact, I still don't haven't figured out how to do it.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Peter Creasey wrote:I have also avoided updating my user agent; in fact, I still don't haven't figured out how to do it.
It's easy to do. :)

Enter about:config in the URL box and hit [enter]. Now you should see a long list of SeaMonkey's settings. Search for useragent and see if anything comes up. Depending on what's already there, you may be able to edit an existing entry, or add your own. This is an example of a user agent string override:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.mozilla.org;Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
Obviously, version numbers, operating systems, etc., need to be modified to your needs, but this is the basic idea and should work.

Once you add it, you need to enable it, i.e., set its "Value" to 'true.' When you're adding it, pick 'Boolean' from the choices you're given. If you have any problems/questions, just ask! :D
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I just checked. There is no "useragent" to be found in my about:config so _if_ I were going to want to add one, I would need to figure out what I might want to enter!?!

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

Click on "Help" (top bar).
then click on About SeaMonkey.
that page will tell you what user agent you are using.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:I just checked. There is no "useragent" to be found in my about:config so _if_ I were going to want to add one, I would need to figure out what I might want to enter!?!.
Maybe in this case, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a link to a video of me adding a User Agent to my SeaMonkey configuration.

Adding A User Agent.ogv

What doesn't show up in the video is that, I did a right-mouse-click on one of the existing User Agent lines to get the small pop up window to show up (to add a new string), at about the 15 second mark in the video.

Hope this helps.
David.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

David, very clever.

Curious, why add xxxxx.ca and xxxxx.com entries both? What's the difference with the ca and com extensions? (Dumb question, probably.)
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:David, very clever.

Curious, why add xxxxx.ca and xxxxx.com entries both? What's the difference with the ca and com extensions? (Dumb question, probably.)
No dumb questions, just dumb answers... which I hope this one isn't. :wink: From what I understand about User Agents is that they're domain specific. So, in this case, I'm covering both the (dot)COM and (dot)CA domains.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
James

Post by James »

Peter Creasey wrote:David, very clever.

.com is the world's most common top level domain, and is considered to be a generic top level domain while .ca is a country specific domain for Canada and is generally used when only offering your products and/or services to Canadians as a .ca site can only be registered by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and businesses. google.ca will favour .ca web addresses for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... el_domains
therube

Post by therube »

I use BOA regularly.

I do not spoof my UA - though I do set my UA to say it is Firefox (rather then SeaMonkey or SeaMonkey/Firefox).
(Edit | Preferences | Advanced -> HTTP Networking --> Identify as Firefox)
(Offhand, I don't recall why I did that... now thinking, oh, it was probably so as to not have to enter the telephone code in order to log in... [I wouldn't change that setting if it were not specifically needed.])
(I use my BOA Profile solely for BOA.)

Rarely have a need to change an existing (billpay) payment, but went in there & did so, changing the date & amount (& back again), with no issue.
(I did see a circular "spinner" for a moment, but then the screen refreshed as expected, the the changes accepted.)

(Separately, with NoScript, I also limit the [full] addresses allowed to run JavaScript.
IOW, I block some "boa" crap domains that I have found are not needed.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lem3

Post by lem3 »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:For the first time ever, I've hit on a problem with Bank of America. Specifically, in its bill pay, editing a scheduled payment, I can enter the new amount/date, but when I press the blue 'Save Changes' button, a red 'no' sign replaces my cursor's hand and nothing happens. Ditto for other payment-editing functions, such as 'Cancel Payment.' Works like a charm in Chrome. :(
Any errors shown at Tools->Web Development->Error Console?
I use BoA (but not the bill payment part) using the default useragent, no problems.