Semonkey questions

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
mozzyx

Semonkey questions

Post by mozzyx »

When SM will start using newer engine than "ancient" 60? I ask cause for example adblock (or ublock) don't support Seamonkey anymore and would be nice to do clean install of Seamonkey and get ABP back.
Frank Lion

Re: Semonkey questions

Post by Frank Lion »

mozzyx wrote:I ask cause for example adblock (or ublock) don't support Seamonkey anymore
Yeah? I'm using UBlock Origin version 1.16.4.28 with the latest SM version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

mozzyx wrote:When SM will start using newer engine than "ancient" 60?
What "newer engine" do you suggest?

SeaMonkey is SeaMonkey for a reason. It isn't Chrome or Firefox and I hope it stays that way.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
therube

Post by therube »

uBlock for SeaMonkey: firefox-legacy-1.16.4.28
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

[deleted]
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
mozzyx

Post by mozzyx »

Frank Lion wrote:
mozzyx wrote:I ask cause for example adblock (or ublock) don't support Seamonkey anymore
Yeah? I'm using UBlock Origin version 1.16.4.28 with the latest SM version.
Well I happen to like ABP for SM addresses/etc to be blocked not blocking element like in UBlock (no updates for SM) and new ABP.
davidb_sk wrote:
mozzyx wrote:When SM will start using newer engine than "ancient" 60?
What "newer engine" do you suggest?

SeaMonkey is SeaMonkey for a reason. It isn't Chrome or Firefox and I hope it stays that way.
Well some sites don't work with SM due it has so old engine (not compatible or something like that) and no add-ons (don't need others than ABP) so like I said on 1st post if I have to do clean install of SM (haven't done 1 since installed Win10 after Win7 support ended so yea quite old) then I couldn't get ABP back unless downloading it on some not fully trusted 3rd party site.
ixander

Post by ixander »

The reason people use SeaMonkey is because it's not like the newer versions of Firefox. So I hope it never starts imitating the newer engine.

I've heard that the devs intend to add support for WebExtensions, which would allow you to install ABP from the Mozilla add-ons page, but they have almost no budget and not many people on their team, so they can't do a whole lot right now.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

mozzyx wrote:.... I ask cause for example adblock (or ublock) don't support Seamonkey anymore and would be nice to do clean install of Seamonkey and get ABP back.
    SeaMonkey 2.53.7.1 Release Notes wrote:
    - Extensions (Add-ons) and Themes:

[*].... Adblock Plus 2.9.1 may cause huge memory and CPU consumption and is not recommended or officially supported in this SeaMonkey version.
    Consider switching to uBlock

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ElTxolo wrote:Extensions (Add-ons) and Themes:

[*].... Adblock Plus 2.9.1 may cause huge memory and CPU consumption and is not recommended or officially supported in this SeaMonkey version.
"May cause" not "will cause". I tested both and I didn't saw any differences in CPU usage. But ADB+ has "Blockable items" windows:

... from which I can see what was blocked and what was not and manage them. I didn't find such easy and user friendly function in uOrigin.

I'm not using filter lists from Internet. I have my own list. I'm deciding what I want to block.
--
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

ixander wrote:The reason people use SeaMonkey is because it's not like the newer versions of Firefox. So I hope it never starts imitating the newer engine.
I don't understand this. I don't think people use SeaMonkey because it doesn't have the latest rendering engine or JS engine or performance, but that is what you are saying. Who uses a browser because it doesn't have the latest rendering technology and web standards compatibility? If that were true, we'd all be using Internet Explorer!

I'd think we use SM because of the functionality and UX and app integrations. I'd love to have the rendering engine updated to support the newer web technologies.

Okay, Mr. Lion, your turn...
frg

Post by frg »

There is no new engine like Quantum or any such thing. It is all marketing. Most of it was already in 56.
A tremendous amount of stuff was already ported. Mostly groundwork.

The choice can be to go with the tide and just update to current level. Then bye bye full themes, classic extensions, bookmark descriptions, lots of ui features and other stuff. Even this would take some time and no 2.57 then. And it is a rat race with google pushing features and Mozilla agreeing and implementing them almost always.

What is actually not in (notable):
stylo style system written in rust. Blocks newer css but slowly added.
Webrender. Graphics backend written in rust. Was only made stable lately and not really something I like to add. Nevertheless added to 2.53 and up over time now.
e10s multiprocess.
wasm aka. the new java for hackers to take over your system :)
Web Components. A slower and bloated web powered by google. Stylo support in needed currently.
lots of newer javascript stuff
Full web extension support.

We add what we can you can be sure of it

Just decide:
- 2-3 years working on catchup only and no updates
- updates at the current level and slow catchup.
- just retire SeaMonkey.

Pick 1 only.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:There is no new engine like Quantum or any such thing. It is all marketing. Most of it was already in 56.
A tremendous amount of stuff was already ported. Mostly groundwork.

The choice can be to go with the tide and just update to current level. Then bye bye full themes, classic extensions, bookmark descriptions, lots of ui features and other stuff. Even this would take some time and no 2.57 then. And it is a rat race with google pushing features and Mozilla agreeing and implementing them almost always.

What is actually not in (notable):
stylo style system written in rust. Blocks newer css but slowly added.
Webrender. Graphics backend written in rust. Was only made stable lately and not really something I like to add. Nevertheless added to 2.53 and up over time now.
e10s multiprocess.
wasm aka. the new java for hackers to take over your system :)
Web Components. A slower and bloated web powered by google. Stylo support in needed currently.
lots of newer javascript stuff
Full web extension support.

We add what we can you can be sure of it

Just decide:
- 2-3 years working on catchup only and no updates
- updates at the current level and slow catchup.
- just retire SeaMonkey.

Pick 1 only.
frg,

Why should I ever give up on SeaMonkey unless the developers are unable to implement security and bug fixes with our older Gecko engine?

With Open in Chrome, IE View and Standalone, I have SeaMonkey, Vivaldi (my Chrome alternative), MS Edge Dev (another Chrome alternative) and WaterFox (my Firefox alternative). Right click and I have almost as many choices as there are available out there.

The plus factor is XUL, which means my XUL toolbar is completely full of extensions that make my day: from left to right: Home Page, Close Open Tab, Open a New Tab, Reload current page, Close all tabs but the selected one, Restart Application, Open History Menu, Stop Loading this Page, Open Favourite Page, Print this Page, View your Profile Folder, Open About Config..., Open Options, SQL Manager, Translate current page..., Open the Save Password dialog, microRSS Feed Reader, Show Bookmark Toolbar Menu, Open Application to Read News, Open Google Mail, Open Application to Read Mail [seamonkey.exe -mail], Open in Chrome [Vivaldi], View this Page in IE [MS Edge Dev], Open Yahoo Mail, Open Twitter Home Page, Go to Facebook, Load Wikipedia...,
Open eBay, etc.

Toolbar Buttons (1.0.2.1) gives me some of the extra icons to do all this.

The only other browser that comes close, albeit without XUL is Waterfox with web extensions.

It took me quite a bit of time to list all the toolbar buttons that I have currently in use in SeaMonkey, but it is way more than worth it to emphasize just how valuable XUL is, even though Mozilla has dumped it into the dumpster.

Just sayin'

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:.....
....Just sayin'
Yep, all sounds about right to me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:.....
....Just sayin'
Yep, all sounds about right to me.
Frank,

You're absolutely freakin' correct!

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
mozzyx

Post by mozzyx »

ElTxolo wrote: April 25th, 2021, 6:30 am - Extensions (Add-ons) and Themes:

Well no problems with ABP and high memory usage with SM (besides on 1 site (but that's because site is designed to "modern" browsers and either works somewhat with SM or not).

Old post but still.