Can't Find SeaMonkey Folder on my Mac Under Users

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Curland

Can't Find SeaMonkey Folder on my Mac Under Users

Post by Curland »

Hi,

I have two serious issues that I just realized. I am running 2.53.5.1 on an iMac running the latest version of Big Sur. Today I noticed that a very important created folder among my 100 plus folders is missing. I checked to see if it got inadvertently put in another folder, but no luck. Then when searching for my main SeaMonkey Folder that would contain my profile, etc. in my Time Machine backups and then when doing a search on my Mac itself, I don't see any folder titled "SeaMonkey" under Macintosh HD>users>admin>Library>Application Support>Seamonkey.

So, where is that SeaMonkey folder now located? I can't find it anywhere when I do a search of my entire Mac. This is very peculiar. I was hoping if I could find the main SeaMonkey folder, I could search for my inbox folders and maybe try to find the one created folder I'm missing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Jim
DanRaisch

Re: Can't Find SeaMonkey Folder on my Mac Under Users

Post by DanRaisch »

Try menu path Help->Troubleshooting information->click on the "Open folder" button next to "Profile Folder".
Curland

Post by Curland »

Thanks so much. After digging a bit, I did find that and found the SeaMonkey folder on my hard drive as well. Now, my biggest predicament is that I have over 100 mail folders and one of the most important ones, labeled "Taxes" all of the sudden just disappeared and I looked everywhere, thinking it might have been buried in another folder. I did searches in SeaMonkey, on my HD, etc. I even looked to my Time Machine backups and due to a strange reason, the SeaMonkey folder on my Mac HD was not part of my Time Machine backups. Do you know of any way to recover mail folders? The only file I found for the "Taxes" folder is a .msf file and somewhere I read that this folder doesn't contain the messages, it is the one simply titled "Taxes". Any ideas would be a life saver!!!! Thanks!!!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".
Curland

Post by Curland »

POP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's unfortunate. You are correct in your understanding that files with the extension .msf do not contain full message content. Those files are only summary files used to store some characteristics (like user applied tags, stars, etc) and to improve performance. If you are unable to find any trace of a file with the name of that missing Taxes folder and having no file name suffix, it's possible that the data may be lost.
Check the settings for the account to see whether it was set to "Leave messages on server". If it was, recent messages may still be accessible there, depending on the server's retention policies.
Curland

Post by Curland »

Would that be my mail server account that I would check to see if messages are left on the server? It is hugely unfortunate. I don't know what happened to this one mail folder and my Time Machine back-ups for some bizarre reason were not backing up the right Library folder and I need to contact Apple to find out why I have two main Library folders. Thanks anyway. I thought perhaps there was some way to rebuild or recover mail folders that inadvertently get deleted.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I thought perhaps there was some way to rebuild or recover mail folders that inadvertently get deleted.
There can be in some circumstances but normally that would involve a backup or the availability of the message file, perhaps somewhat corrupted but still present.
Would that be my mail server account that I would check to see if messages are left on the server?
Yes, that would be a "last ditch" hope.