Can I import my old mail safely?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
BenoitRen

Can I import my old mail safely?

Post by BenoitRen »

Hi everyone

A year ago I was archiving my e-mail messages until my computer's motherboard died. They have been sitting on the hard drive ever since, which I've taken out and am now using as an external one. However, I haven't touched my mail files.

I recall reading at some point during the last year that upgrading SeaMonkey could make your mail unreadable by older versions. I haven't found any information about this. As a result, I'm now hesitant to import them. My mail is in MBOX format.

Can someone tell me more about this before I proceed? Thanks!
Frank Lion

Re: Can I import my old mail safely?

Post by Frank Lion »

BenoitRen wrote:Can someone tell me more about this before I proceed? Thanks!
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question then the Release Notes do already tell you how to proceed really, i.e. use a profile backup -
Data loss warning: If you use a profile with this or any later version and then try to go back to SeaMonkey 2.49.5 or earlier, SeaMonkey will rename your bookmarks and history file to places.sqlite.corrupt and create a new places.sqlite file, effectively resetting your browsing history. This is because the internal format changed and the upgrade process only works in one direction. Additionally, running MailNews with local folders and POP3 mail filters may produce summary files that are not correctly read by previous versions of SeaMonkey. If you decide to go back to a previous version of SeaMonkey, you should do it from a profile backup only. Stored passwords will also be unavailable.
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... y2.53.7.1/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BenoitRen

Re: Can I import my old mail safely?

Post by BenoitRen »

D'oh! That's indeed something you would expect to read in the release notes.

So if I understand correctly, the summary format changed, but the MBOX files didn't? Then I should be okay, because I don't back-up the redundant summary files anyway. :)