Keyword bug when bookmarking`save

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Yonut

Keyword bug when bookmarking`save

Post by Yonut »

Hi,

I don't know if Seamonkey is on it's last legs or if fixes are being implemented. But I'm gonna try an arrange the deck chairs for a moment...

When right clicking on a search field and selecting `Add a Keyword for this Search`, it brings up a `New Bookmark` window with the keyword field visible. You cannot save the bookmark until you enter a keyword (`save` is greyed out until something is entered). Enter some text and click save.

Now go into your bookmarks and right click on the bookmark you just saved, and chose properties. You will notice that the keyword your entered (to be able to save it) is now blank and needs to be re-entered.

Easily reproducible.

Thanks,
Yonut
DanRaisch

Re: Keyword bug when bookmarking`save

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support as no spcific bug number has been identified here.
I don't know if Seamonkey is on it's last legs or if fixes are being implemented.
The latest version of SeaMonkey just having been released last month I think you can say it's a safe bet that the program is NOT on its last legs.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yonut

Re: Keyword bug when bookmarking

Post by Yonut »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to SeaMonkey Support as no spcific bug number has been identified here.
I don't know if Seamonkey is on it's last legs or if fixes are being implemented.
The latest version of SeaMonkey just having been released last month I think you can say it's a safe bet that the program is NOT on its last legs.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I asked, because this 'issue' has been around for a couple of releases. If you say Seamonkey still going strong, then I will believe you.

The link you gave doesn't seem to connect. Searching for "safe mode Seamonkey", I tried running it with 'seamonkey -safe-mode'. Issue still exists.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can also activate Safe Mode by using menu path Help->Restart with Add-ons disabled.
Yonut

Post by Yonut »

So because this was moved from bugs to support you're suggesting this is desirable? Enter a keyword in order to save the bookmark, but don't save the keyword itself?

I guess that means I'm on to palemoon then.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Yonut wrote:So because this was moved from bugs to support you're suggesting this is desirable?
Looks like a bug:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1693118

Feel free to make some patch for this. Or at least look for patch made for Firefox... :-"
--
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No. This area of the forum is discussion of known/identified bugs. Moving your post to Support is intended to get it reviewed by more folks in hopes someone knows if there is already a bug report filed on the issue (and the Bug number) or perhaps has a work around/solution for it.

If you choose to switch to PaleMoon, good-bye and good luck.
Yonut

Post by Yonut »

Well, the bug report says it's not verified. Super easy to verify as I included the steps in the OP. But for at least 3 months nobody has an interested in fixing it, or verifying it for that matter. Even just the replies, from others to my post, took longer than to actually verify it.

So the other alternative is to find a solution myself? This will stop me from ever reporting bugs, for Seamonkey then, because I can easily spot a bug, but to create a solution is way out on my league. This feels like another elitist community where the package/library/program either works for you, or you shouldn't be here.
frg

Post by frg »

The bug report is about something else. I am sure this never worked in any recent release and not sure that these keywords are or were ever the bookmarks keywords. Just tested again with 2.49.5.

The bug you reported here should be fixed in todays 2.53.9b1 pre and will be also in the upcoming 2.53.8b1. Was a missing backport.

As for Pale Moon. As long as you agree 100% with the two lead devs always and at all times you will be fine :)
Last edited by frg on May 18th, 2021, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frg

Post by frg »

Addendum. A Firefox built from our current code also does not save the keywords and behaves exactly like SeaMonkey. The bug can be added as an enhancement bug but this is core code and we are already stretched thin. If Firefox still has keywords I can move the bug over and backport when/if it is fixed. Given how they strip the library of additonal features I would not hold my breath there either unfortunately.