Semonkey user agent

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Re: Semonkey user agent

Post by Peter Creasey »

Justinh wrote:Peter, I can login to AT&T mail (via currently.com) using UA "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0" for yahoo.com. I do have and 'identify as SM and advertise Fx compatibility in Preferences -> Adv -> HTTP Networking, but that may be overridden by my UA for Yahoo.
Justin, one difference I notice is that yours has "rv:70.0" where as my latest error message says "rv:60".

And, yes, we are talking about webmail access.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:TPR75, thanks once again. I did everything as you said while leaving the yimg.com override.

Still, no joy as still get an error message -> "It looks like you're using an unsupported browser. Here's what we detected:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.7" (The Firefox reference is gone)
Sigh... I think we must return to beginning and start with basics.
1) what is address (URL) to webmail?
2) when this warning shows? After opening of webmail page, after you try to login, after login
3) can you post screenshot?
4) is it possible to register account without mobile phone number? I don't want to create test account with my real data...
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote: Sigh... I think we must return to beginning and start with basics.
1) what is address (URL) to webmail?
2) when this warning shows? After opening of webmail page, after you try to login, after login
3) can you post screenshot?
4) is it possible to register account without mobile phone number? I don't want to create test account with my real data...
TPR75 etal, included below are the answers to your questions; HOWEVER, it appears I owe everyone a big apology. I read the whole message more carefully and see at the end of the message it provides the option to proceed. And this worked at least on one try.
So now my question is, Should I undo everything I've done with about:config and preferences or just leave everything?

1) http://mail.aol.com/36786-111/cs_com-6/en-us/Suite.aspx
2) as soon as the entry page is launched (I am set up for automatic login)
3) Image

4) I pretty sure I have not provided my phone number as it keeps asking for it

Many thanks to everyone.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote: TPR75 etal, included below are the answers to your questions; HOWEVER, it appears I owe everyone a big apology. I read the whole message more carefully and see at the end of the message it provides the option to proceed. And this worked at least on one try.
So now my question is, Should I undo everything I've done with about:config and preferences or just leave everything?
Like I wrote above/previously site specific override is per domain. If particular website is using more than one domain then user must make more than one entry. You did it for "yahoo.com" and "yimg.com" but there is "aol.com" either. You can use uBlock Origin (Logger function) to check what main domains are used there (skip ads/stats 3rd-party domains).

Use this User Agent string:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
Just make sure you'll not copy&paste it with spaces before or after string.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Done. I did change the HTTP preferences back to include Firefox (just because that is the way it has always been before).

Thank you.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Ron Polsley

Post by Ron Polsley »

Fixed: att.yahoo.com mail. After one month of trying and a lot of bad advice from the web. "why are you still using POP" etc.
First: Do Not change mail server that worked before, the problem is when they changed security to the Secure Mail Key (SMK)
Go to: UFIX.ATT.COM and start over at get new SMK, they will list your email accounts if there are more than one and allow you to copy the key to clipboard. I copied mine also to LastPass.
I decided to skip the rest of instructions and just try to login, Wow it worked!! The key before was for the wrong account.
When logging in to email you will need to use the SMK 16 letters. Someone said there is a way to change back to your first password. later
I did spoof yahoo.com and att.yahoo.com before, not knowing if that helped, but when logging in to web att.mail before, "change your browse" always came up but not after the spoof.
Still need to use another browser to pay medical bill, spoof did not work, I can live with that. ***SeaMonkey Lives***
Ron Polsley

Post by Ron Polsley »

Etsy will be dropping support for older versions of your web browser in the near future in order to ensure that user data remains secure. Please update to the latest version.

Are we going to need a spoof for every web page?
Mozilla states: "FireFox 60.0 is no longer supported"
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ron Polsley wrote:Are we going to need a spoof for every web page?
Mozilla states: "FireFox 60.0 is no longer supported"
Yes. No. It depends.

I wrote it previously but I'll repeat: You can try the simplest trick - turn off Firefox advertising.

Firefox advertising is built-in User Agent spoofing. It depends on Gecko engine used to built SeaMonkey.

At least it was working this way in past. SM 2.53.x is based on the same engine like Firefox 56 which is "ancient". Developers made a lot of changes while patching and patches were from Fx 60.x, 68.x and some from much newer versions like 78.x ESR. That's why default UA spoof is for "Firefox 60.0" and not "56.0".

But it's "too old" for some "modern" websites. Especially when webdo... webmasters are lazy and requires "latest browser" because website was designed for Google Chrome (sometimes only). I had some situation when website was not working on latest Edge Chromium from MS but without problems on Google Chrome (even one version or two older than latest). More often companies are cheap on support and don't want to deal with "exotic" browsers like SeaMonkey.

Disable Firefox advertising:
Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> in field "User Agent String" choose "Identify as SeaMonkey"

When needed make site specific override (you know how to) but remember it's made for domain (some websites are using more than one domain for their services).

Of course, you can be lazy too and set general override and you'll always will have spoofed User Agent for all websites.

Oh! And remember that some websites can cause problems even with fake UA because SeaMonkey 2.53.x doesn't have latest fancy features. Such features (aside from security patches) are added almost with every minor version (that's why you should update).
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote: you can be lazy too and set general override and you'll always will have spoofed User Agent for all websites.
1) Is there a downside to doing this? Do you recommend it?

2) How exactly is the general override set?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:
TPR75 wrote: you can be lazy too and set general override and you'll always will have spoofed User Agent for all websites.

2) How exactly is the general override set?
Ad.1. You will hide true name of your browser to the world.

Ad.2. Use just "general.useragent.override" without domain name. Remove site specific overrides (click RMB and choose "Reset").
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:

Ad.1. You will hide true name of your browser to the world.
The result of doing that doesn't sound ominous (unless I'm missing something).

Thanks again.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Ron Polsley

Post by Ron Polsley »

Changing String to SeaMonkey worked!
Thank You for Your Patience

One more question: How do I delete a line from about.config?, trial and that doesn't work.
Brain malfunctioning Re: Moderna three month flu.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ron Polsley wrote:One more question: How do I delete a line from about.config?, trial and that doesn't work.
If such preference was added by user then click RMB and choose "Reset". Value (right part) will disappear immediately and name (left part) will be automatically removed after restart of SeaMonkey.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Here are the overrides I currently have set...

general.useragent.override.licdn.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.linkedin.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.yimg.com (with this string specified -->) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0)

Is this all okay? Is anything else recommended?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Here are the overrides I currently have set...

general.useragent.override.licdn.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.linkedin.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.yahoo.com (with no string specified)
general.useragent.override.yimg.com (with this string specified -->) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0)

Is this all okay? Is anything else recommended?
If you will not specify value (like for yimg.com) then override will not work.

Besides, you are using 32-bit SeaMonkey so proper UA will be like this

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Don't put space or ( and ) signs before or after value string. If you really have ) sign after "Firefox/78.0" then remove it.
--