(Resolved) Seamonkey email SMTP settings

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite

(Resolved) Seamonkey email SMTP settings

Post by 3885 »

I cannot add SMTP Outgoing settings for different email addresses for different user names and passwords on the same server.
So when I go to log in it selects a default which is not what I set up for the individual profile.
What happens is abc@mail's SMTP info is carried over to the def@mail's SMTP settings and so on for any email address at the mail.xxx address.
This has been happening on 2 different computers with the latest Seamonkey installed.
I can't send or receive on any other address but the one that the SMTP settings are for.
Can someone help?

Edited to include the word Outgoing, as I forgot to in my frustrations. #-o
Last edited by 3885 on June 10th, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob_S

Re: Seamonkey email SMTP settings

Post by Rob_S »

At the bottom of the settings first page for each account is an option to use default smtp server, or to set up a specific smtp server for this account

This may be affecting your results

Post by 3885 »

I have set up individual SMTP Outgoing server settings under each account. It does not allow me to save them as a pulldown for each account, It uses the last thing set up. It doesn't work properly.
Thunderbird (which I just downloaded) allows for separate settings for each account.
But I want the integration in Seamonkey not another client.

Something similar at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1461187

Edited to include the word Outgoing, as I forgot to in my frustrations. #-o
frg

Post by frg »

Bug 1461187 is for the account wizard and I felt like I communicated with Mars when I wrote the comments in the bug...

You set up the account which will use the default smtp server. After you have added the account you add the new smtp server. This is a second step and different from TB because our account setup dialog does not allow this. If it is visible in the drop down list in the account you should be able to set it.
I just tested and it still works for me now as it worked then.

Post by 3885 »

Thanks, but what about multiple email accounts requiring different outgoing SMTP settings? Seamonkey fails at this.
I would be happy to be educated at this if someone would like to try it.

As long as it wasn't Saturn. You know how those folks are... "I've got rings and all"
frg

Post by frg »

> Thanks, but what about multiple email accounts requiring different outgoing SMTP settings? Seamonkey fails at this.

It does not. You add the smtp servers and set them for each account separately. I have 5 accounts and zero issues here so I totally fail to understand the problem. The only problem is that you can't set it initially during account setup. In the Mail & Newsgroup account settings which you can reach when you right click on an account it is all settable. Last item in the left pane is smtp servers and you can add or remove new ones there too.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

3885 wrote:Thanks, but what about multiple email accounts requiring different outgoing SMTP settings? Seamonkey fails at this.
Nope! It doesn't. Works like charm. But user must set it up in more than one step.

Set up SMTP accounts:

... and then assign them to POP3/IMAP accounts:

When sending e-mails assigned SMTP will be taken as default (you can change it manually while preparing message).

If this will not work for you then create new profile (for test only). There is some chance that you old profile is corrupted.
--

Post by 3885 »

Well I know all that regarding setting each account.
I have 4 email accounts on the same outgoing server with the same credentials, as well as 4 different emails, with different credentials at the same outgoing server. this was implemented about a year ago.

Now I am adding 4 new email accounts and deleting the original accounts from a long time ago.
Theoretically, a total of 16 addresses for now, then pruned to 8.
When sending to the 4 new email accounts (I'm migrating providers) send to account 1, all is good.
Send to account 2 and it fails because it uses 1's info.
Fix 2's server info and 1, 3 & 4 inherit 2's info.

I can set each account to the proper server.
When I go to use it, it will do the server rotation as described, with only 2 servers in the pulldown list later (the original email server, all to one place, the other with 4 separate outgoing server credentials). No matter what I do, it wants to save the individual server credentials as "default".

I have been using Seamonkey since the stone age. I never had an issue until about a year and a half ago.
I managed to get 2 different server settings to stick before that time.
Anything more and it won't stick.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.53.7.1 on 2 different machines. The original machine was an upgrade from way back. The latest machine is only 4 months old.
frg

Post by frg »

I won't rule out that 2.53 broke very specific setups but I don't see it. I have 2 different email accounts on the same server with different credntials and one of these has 2 identities. Then 2 different providers and also a mail news one. All use the correct smtp server I specified.

If you can put together a test case with sample data and screen shots file a bug and you can be sure I or IanN will take a look. If it works for TB it should work for SM because the same backend is used. recently divergated but we backported important bugs.

FRG

Post by 3885 »

I will try to do just that. At the present moment, I have to migrate all of my main email addresses over to my new email server and send out the changes to everyone on the vast list since 1993. I hope to be able to report back on Monday. I hope!

Post by 3885 »

Did everything according to instructions. I even deleted the mail folder in my profile folder and did the account and identities. It doesn't work.
There remains an account an I tried to delete it and I cannot.
I renamed it and still I can't delete it.

I guess I'm not the only one
https://support-seamonkey.mozilla.narki ... n-t-delete

Post by 3885 »

I rebooted both machines and I was able to enter the SMTP servers as needed with the proper credentials.
I have no idea why, but it's working. :roll:
I consider this closed.

Thanks for the pix and the texts. =D>