MozillaZine

How to unblock all connections?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
fizzicist

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 7:55 am

My Mac crashed and auto-rebooted while using SeaMonkey 2.53.7. When I relaunched SeaMonkey after startup a dialog appearing saying that the app had been changed, possibly with malware, and offered me the option of blocking all connections. I chose that option, quit the app, and then downloaded and installed the most recent point version of SeaMonkey (2.53.8).

Alas, all connections are still blocked. SeaMonkey won't connect to any mail servers, and attempts to load any web page result in a "Failed to connect" dialog. SeaMonkey is not displaying a dialog that gives me an option to unblock all connections. The Help content provides no clues, and there's nothing in Preferences indicating how to undo the blockage.

Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. It's not a firewall issue. SeaMonkey is whitelisted in my firewall Preferences.
Last edited by fizzicist on July 8th, 2021, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 6,1 Six-Core (Late 2013); macOS 10.14.6; SeaMonkey v2.53.8

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 8:01 am

fizzicist wrote:SeaMonkey is not displaying a dialog that gives me an option to unblock all connections.

Well, it wouldn't, because it has nothing to do with SeaMonkey.

Your Mac blocked SM and only your Mac can remove the block. Your search for the solution starts there.
Metal Lion SeaMonkey Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

fizzicist

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 8:24 am

Frank Lion:

Thanks for your reply. It appears that it has everything to do with SeaMonkey. The dialog that offered me the option of blocking all connections was a SeaMonkey dialog, not a system dialog.

All connections are NOT blocked at the system level, or I wouldn't be able to access this forum using Firefox. Safari works fine too. And I can access my mail accounts in Thunderbird. It's just SeaMonkey that is affected. Some kind of flag was set in SeaMonkey when I responded to the "block all connections dialog". There must be a way to reset that flag.

I suspect the flag has been set somewhere in the about:config file, but a preliminary search for the term "block" hasn't revealed anything obvious...although I'm not sure I know enough to recognize it.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 8:38 am

fizzicist wrote:Frank Lion:

Thanks for your reply. It appears that it has everything to do with SeaMonkey. The dialog that offered me the option of blocking all connections was a SeaMonkey dialog, not a system dialog.

Suit yourself. But I really do wish you Mac users would actually learn how your OS works. You could also try reading the Release Notes of SeaMonkey.

All connections are NOT blocked at the system level,

Er, well they wouldn't be

SeaMonkey after startup a dialog appearing saying that the app had been changed
So, SeaMonkey shows a dialog and calls itself an app. Interesting.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

fizzicist

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 9:20 am

Frank Lion wrote:
fizzicist wrote:Frank Lion:

Suit yourself. But I really do wish you Mac users would actually learn how your OS works.

So, you're saying that it's an OS issue. Interesting.

Frank Lion wrote:
fizzicist wrote:All connections are NOT blocked at the system level,

Er, well they wouldn't be

So, you're saying that it's NOT an OS issue. Hmmm...

Frank Lion wrote:
fizzicist wrote:SeaMonkey after startup a dialog appearing saying that the app had been changed
So, SeaMonkey shows a dialog and calls itself an app. Interesting.

No, I'm calling it an app.

I'm really only looking for help, not an argument. If you can help, I will appreciate it. Other kinds of comments are unresponsive to the problem at hand.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 10:31 am

fizzicist wrote:So, you're saying that it's an OS issue. Interesting.

So, you're saying that it's NOT an OS issue. Hmmm...

*sigh* an OS is quite capable of blocking some connections and not others.

fizzicist wrote:I'm really only looking for help, not an argument.

Well, good, stop arguing then. AGAIN go read the SM Release Notes. or just learn how your Mac works.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 11:03 am

Frank Lion wrote:AGAIN go read the SM Release Notes..

Frank, I went and scanned the Release Notes. What do you feel is there that might be helpful for him?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

frg

Post Posted July 8th, 2021, 11:30 am

Probably:
> You might not be able to install SeaMonkey under recent macOS versions. In this case please read Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer for a solution.
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... h40616/mac

The issue here sounds like a firewall isssue. Or an antivirus app blocking SeaMonkey. In any case it is not fixable in SeaMonkey itself.

FRG

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 9th, 2021, 7:33 am

frg wrote:The issue here sounds like a firewall issue. Or an antivirus app blocking SeaMonkey.

If this was a Windows OS, then I would agree. But, it's not, it's a Mac OS with Gatekeeper and App Blocking done by the OS itself, so that needs to be added in as well.

frg

Post Posted July 9th, 2021, 7:46 am

> But, it's not, it's a Mac OS with Gatekeeper and App Blocking done by the OS itself, so that needs to be added in as well.

Yes the definition of transparent is different for macOS... But when the mentioned options come into play you are unable to start the application or install it which seems not to be the case here. So I am thinking firewall or 3rd party blocker. How this is configured or what actually is the case is just speculation without further information.

fizzicist

Post Posted July 9th, 2021, 9:52 am

Problem solved...well, fixed, at least.

I don't have enough information to know whether it had anything to do with macOS. The "App Blocking by third party developers" was not the issue. As expected, that came into play the first time I attempted to open SM v2.53.8, but the resulting system dialog provides the user with the link to the "Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer" workaround, which I had already used. Had I not done so, I wouldn't even have been able to open SM and determine that it wasn't able to make WAN connections.

As previously mentioned, searching about:config for "block" provided no obvious clues. A subsequent search for "connect" yielded the same result. Quitting ("Exiting" in Windows-speak) and relaunching SM didn't solve the problem.

I had already checked the release notes; there was nothing there that helped. I checked an old README.txt file I had saved for SM v2 for a reminder about where the various under-the-hood SM files are stored, but nothing there seemed relevant.

Of course, there is always the rather inelegant method of trashing of the org.mozilla.SeaMonkey.plist file, which SM automatically rebuilds when the application is launched. But that requires resetting all application preferences. That's often a solution for intractable problems, and would have been my last resort. But I was out of time, so I quit SeaMonkey and left home for work.

When I returned home, last night, I relaunched SeaMonkey...et voilĂ ! SeaMonkey was able to make connections normally. What the...?? The only difference between the restoration of connectivity and the previous failures to connect was a second quitting/relaunching of SeaMonkey, and the passage of 12 hours of elapsed time.

Ah, well...a satisfactory conclusion, but not a very gratifying one, in the sense that I don't know exactly what the problem was or how it was fixed.

Return to SeaMonkey Support