MozillaZine

Can I have SM in two separate installs/directories?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 3:11 pm

I took Frank's advice and upgrade which caused me to lose a critical (to me) function of an add-on. I see a caution that you can't go back because it changed part of the profile structure that can't be converted.

Luckily I appear to have a copy of the profile from a week or so ago.

Can I install 2.49.5 (or another version that still supported AdBlock's Element Hider) in a different directory and import that profile?

Or do I need to restore my full PC to last week's backup?

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 17th, 2021, 4:35 pm

Crisis averted.

I took a gamble and installed 2.49.5 into a separate directory. On initial startup, it somehow picked up the right profile. Despite the big red warning text I see on the 2.53.x page, I have all of my profile information, including PWs, tabs and bookmarks. I also have the Session manager, Tabs manager (Undo Close) and most important of all, the Element Hiding Helper. I don't know how or why, but it's all there. The only thing missing is the browser history, but that isn't too critical. I'd like to restore it if possible though.

Bonus (I guess) is that the two sites I complained about earlier, Proton Mail and Big Lots both work.

Now, I go back to my question from above .... what is the latest version where these things will work? When did the core change?

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Hmmm, well over 24 hours without a post anywhere in the SM section, either question or reply.

Meanwhile, I seem to be seeing quite a bit more memory usage without really changing browsing patterns.

ndebord

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Wish You Were Here wrote:I took Frank's advice and upgrade which caused me to lose a critical (to me) function of an add-on. I see a caution that you can't go back because it changed part of the profile structure that can't be converted.

Luckily I appear to have a copy of the profile from a week or so ago.

Can I install 2.49.5 (or another version that still supported AdBlock's Element Hider) in a different directory and import that profile?

Or do I need to restore my full PC to last week's backup?

Wish You Were Here,

If you don't like ublock instead of AdBlock, the only other similar app I know about that works is Adblock Latitude 5.0.1, after running it through the extension converter. Don't know if that will help with your element hider issue or not.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), FrameWork, Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H1), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & PandaDome

frg

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Using 2.49.5 and 2.53.8 together with the same profile is the best way to trash it including downgrading. Saved passwords, certificates, bookmarks and history, index db and web storage plus some mail folder and account data is incompatible. Sanitizer settings will change in 2.53.9 and add further to it.

uBlock includes an element zapper which is ok for me. ABP usage strongly discouraged. The classic version was never really updated for latest 56 imho.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Wish You Were Here wrote:I took Frank's advice and upgrade ...

That news to me, I suggested this -

Frank Lion wrote:You might want to hold off posting about this stuff until you've checked your stuff.

'this stuff' being you finding unsupported sites that worked for other people. That was my only advice,
Metal Lion SeaMonkey Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Either way Frank (or anybody), is there a way to restore browser history (if it wasn't wiped somehow)? Which profile file should have it?

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Wish You Were Here wrote:...restore browser history (if it wasn't wiped somehow)? Which profile file should have it?

places.sqlite
Metal Lion SeaMonkey Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Yeah, I remember that now and just found it. Shows to be 10,xxx Kb so I'm not sure why it doesn't have my history, but I think I can snag an version a few weeks old from another PC. Long story there.

At least the logons and PWs are still usable. None of those lost.

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 19th, 2021, 7:14 pm

frg wrote:Using 2.49.5 and 2.53.8 together with the same profile is the best way to trash it including downgrading. Saved passwords, certificates, bookmarks and history, index db and web storage plus some mail folder and account data is incompatible. Sanitizer settings will change in 2.53.9 and add further to it.

uBlock includes an element zapper which is ok for me. ABP usage strongly discouraged. The classic version was never really updated for latest 56 imho.

Didn't see this post until now. Somehow nearly everything survived, but I don't intend to open 2.53.x again and may uninstall it if I can without causing issues.

I like ABP because I know it. Never tried uBlock.

Wish You Were Here wrote:Now, I go back to my question from above .... what is the latest version where these things will work? When did the core change?

Is 2.49.5 as high as I can go and retain the old add-ons?

therube

Post Posted July 20th, 2021, 9:11 am

It's not about "old add-ons", it's about whether a particular extension works in a particular browser version.
*Appears that Adblock Plus (I looked at 2.8.2) does not work in current SeaMonkey (2.53.8).

Might it have worked in some earlier 2.53.x version?
Don't know?
But you could pull down the first 2.53 release & test.
(I'll suspect that it won't work.)

frg above, alludes to ABP not being updated for FF 56 (akin to SeaMonkey 2.43).

*Actually, maybe it does?
It installs (which really means nothing).
Initially there was no icon.
But if you look in Customize, you will see (or at least I saw), a "blank spot".
Dragging that blank spot out & onto the Menu Bar resulted in a ABP icon.

So it does appear to work.
The element hider, not sure what to do or how to interact with that part?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

frg

Post Posted July 21st, 2021, 11:46 am

If you like self inflicted pain continue with ABP. I would at least use 2.9.1 then which has been updated for 56:

https://www.filepuma.com/download/adblo ... 9.1-16687/

Not veryified if this download is ok. I had nothing but problems with the latest working ABP versions first under 2.53 and if some broke in one of the latest releases tough luck.

At this point in time clinging to it is foolish. Lists are not updated, not supported any longer and uBlock is a 100 times better and has a dedicated maintainer.

And yes I agree that the ABP ui is much better but still if the functionality is urgkkk I rather have the functionality fixed.

FRG

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted July 22nd, 2021, 2:14 am

With ABP and their EHH, I can simply click on something and make it go away ... permanently. The versions for Brave, Vivaldi and Opera all work more or less the same with a few minor differences in what to click where.

I know nothing of UO

I still use a cookie blocking tool I first got in the late '90s that takes care of a few things. This laptop I'm typing on now is over 10 years old and running Win7. Both of my cars are mid '90s models.

Old isn't always bad.

I was able to find a recent copy of Places and got it imported, so I have my history back and working.

As long as websites continue to work with 2.49.5, I guess I'll be OK for a while.

Still don['t have an answer though to the question about when the core changed. Is 2.49.5 the last of this version before all the extensions and add-ons stopped working? Do any of the 2.5x.x flavors allow them?

Return to SeaMonkey Support