Missing mail icon/shortcut now. Can't seem to make a new one

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
soltasword

Re: Missing mail icon/shortcut now. Can't seem to make a new

Post by soltasword »

Peter Creasey wrote:As indicated in the screen shot I included upthread, the SM email icon is still positioned as the second icon from the left in the bar just above my most bottom bar in SM 2.53.8.1.

I still can't figure out what icon is reportedly being missed by some people here.

Hit the start button, scroll down to the seamonkey folder and open it. In that folder there should be a seamonkey mail icon/shortcut. Mine is missing from there since the 2.53.8.1 update. That isn't entirely true. After I auto updated to 2.53.8.1, the mail shortcut on my taskbar quit working because windows said the program it was pointing to had been removed or changed location. I still had the shortcut in the start menu but I couldn't add it to my taskbar because it said it was already there. Which the mail shortcut wasn't anymore. So, I uninstalled seamonkey and made sure all folders were deleted and then reinstalled version 2.53.7.1 since that was the last profile save I had. It did not install the mail shortcut in the start menu as it should have. I updated to 2.53.8 and it still did not install the mail shortcut in the start menu. Saved my profile and installed 2.53.8.1 which also did not install the mail shortcut in the start menu. Either they removed the mail shortcut altogether upon installation or for some unknown reason, the installer won't install it on my computer. But using 3 full installers should have worked at least once if the mail shortcut was still in the installer.

So, Peter, the mail icon in the browser isn't the one I am talking about. It's the one that should be in the start menu but mine is missing.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

soltasword wrote:Hit the start button, scroll down to the seamonkey folder and open it. In that folder there should be a seamonkey mail icon/shortcut. Mine is missing from there since the 2.53.8.1 update.

So, Peter, the mail icon in the browser isn't the one I am talking about. It's the one that should be in the start menu but mine is missing.
Okay, I did what you said and the SM mail icon/shortcut is there, but I didn't try to do anything with it.

Thanks for steering me to what's been/being discussed.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

Check the properties of the shortcut.
Right click on the shortcut, in Win 7 it is the last item.
Make sure that windows knows exactly what file the shortcut is pointing toward.
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

rdtom wrote:Check the properties of the shortcut.
Right click on the shortcut, in Win 7 it is the last item.
Make sure that windows knows exactly what file the shortcut is pointing toward.
The mail shortcut points to seamonkey.exe since there is no seamonkeymail,exe file. At least there isn't one in the program files (x86)/seamonkey folder. I have seamonkey on another computer and made the mail shortcut exactly as that one is and it still doesn't allow me to add it to my taskbar. The question is though, why didn't seamonkey install the mail shortcut in the start menu in the first place. I used 3 different full installers and not one of the installed the mail shortcut in the start menu. So, it had to be removed at one point or all 3 installers are messed up somehow.
hardys

Post by hardys »

The param to open SM-Mail is "seamonkey.exe -mail"
There never was a seamonkeymail.exe file [-X