User Agent String updates?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

User Agent String updates?

Post by Peter Creasey »

I'm lately having to adjust quite a few User Agent Strings to get the sites to launch.

Will the User Agent Strings being entered now need to be updated periodically? If so, how will we know when and what to do?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Re: User Agent String updates?

Post by Anonymosity »

I have been updating the user-agents in User Agent Switcher, but not so much in the overrides. As long as the overrides keep working, I have left them. If one of the overrides stops working, I try to fix that one, but not the others.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

We should not have to do this kind of thing. I don't even know how to do it per site. I know some sites don't work, but I would have no idea how to tweak a fix for a single site.

Google Image Reverse search no longer works with SM. I had to go to Vivaldi to do one the other day. I don't know why it doesn't work, but I'm sure many of you will say it works fine for you.

Yes, I'm using 2.49 because 2.53 breaks too much stuff I depend on. The UA string you see is scarfed from somebody else here and I don't even know what it means.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, that is a concern -- see my posting in SeaMonkey General titled "Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey".

Back to my original question, how do we find out what to update the overrides to when they stop working?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Peter Creasey wrote:Yes, that is a concern -- see my posting in SeaMonkey General titled "Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey".

Back to my original question, how do we find out what to update the overrides to when they stop working?

Thanks.
This page lists the most commonly seen user-agents:
https://techblog.willshouse.com/2012/01 ... er-agents/
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

OK, I guess I wasn't clear. Here is the string I'm using in the overrides -- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

So my question is, when this one doesn't work any longer, how can it be determined how to update/modify this string so it will work?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

how can it be determined
Trial & error. Guess. Throw a dart. Finger to the wind...
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I'm starting to catch on to that. Hopefully, though, we can communicate here and share info so that there is some consensus as to what is best to deploy.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete