SeaMonkey 2.53.9 changed my email font

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hautem

SeaMonkey 2.53.9 changed my email font

Post by hautem »

Have always used Sans Serif (Arial) as my default email font in SeaMonkey for years. Installed SeaMonkey 2.53.9 and all my emails are now in Times New Roman font. Haven't changed any of my settings, but tried to see if I could get it back to Arial, but nothing seems to work. I installed the previous SeaMonkey version (seamonkey-2.53.8.en-US.win32.installer.exe) and the font went back to Arial as it should be, so it's version 2.53.9 that's doing it. If anyone has any clues, thanks.
frg

Re: SeaMonkey 2.53.9 changed my email font

Post by frg »

Check Preferences: Appearance->Fonts->Fonts for: Other Writing Systems. Set Sans Serif there as a Default. You probably have only Latin set.

Seems to be a new feature with all the backports if the mail does not contain a charset. Need to toss a coin if bug or not. In any case this is under heavy development and so might go away either way with a later build.

FRG
hautem

Post by hautem »

@FRG

Thanks much for the timely response. Since auto-upgrades has been re-enabled, I keep getting pop-ups to upgrade to 2.53.9 with SeaMonkey 2.53.8 installed, so figured I'd upgrade first from the link (about a half hour ago) to see if maybe an incrementally more recent build (not sure if these are changing daily etc.) would fix it, but the font was still Times New Roman. Did your simple advisory of changing "Latin" to "Other Writing Systems" in Preferences (w/o changing anything else) and that fixed it - email font is now back to Arial in 2.53.9.

Quite honestly, I must have spent a few hours here and there Googling/poking around in the dark looking for a fix for this, but I wouldn't have tripped over this one in a million years (helps to know what you're doing in these things). Not the most important thing in the world, but irritating that it just appeared out of nowhere with no apparent easy fix in sight.

Again, thanks...
frg

Post by frg »

Lots of platform fixes went in which changed this. Next version will default to sans-serif so no tinkering required (unless you want serif).

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1727982
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

Thanks! This fix also worked for the version I compiled on FreeBSD (updated from 2.49.5 :)