Can't Log In On Banking Site

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
IdOp

Re: Can't Log In On Banking Site

Post by IdOp »

I'm having a similar problem and was going start a new thread before seeing this one. Since the OP's problem seems resolved, it should be possible to report my problem here without interjecting. I'll indicate which bank it is since, hey, if their site is causing problems people should know.

I'm using seamonkey-2.53.9 on Linux (64-bit). I can't load the login page for EQ Bank (Canada). What happens is the browser thrashes, endlessly trying to re-load the page. Since this doesn't require logging in, anyone could try to confirm this.

It does work with Firefox and Iridium. I'm not using any add-ons. I've tried clearing all cookies and it didn't help.

The solution above for the OP was to change the user-agent, but ATM I'm unable to do that. When I go into about:config and type in general.useragent there is no entry for general.useragent.override . Seamonkey Help has no entry for "user agent". Am I doing something wrong? Other ideas?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The sign-in page loads fine for me.

I don't know what might be correct for Lilnux. For Windows, add a new string in about:config...

general.useragent.override.eqbank.ca

For SM 32-bit, the new string is...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

I can't load the login page for EQ Bank (Canada). What happens is the browser thrashes, endlessly trying to re-load the page.
Confirmed on my end, 2.53.10 Build identifier: 20210913140340.

Code: Select all

SyntaxError: invalid regular expression flag s
[Learn More]
0-es2015.eeea65334b4c8434e908.js:1:2395
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://jj203.equitablebank.ca/fp/tags.js?org_id=5mem3i7z&allow_reprofile=1&session_id=3swsj85mcknzmqrwejgyl6rb2zu48upt”.
secure.eqbank.ca:1
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js”.
secure.eqbank.ca:1
It does work in 2.53.8.1 Release, so possibly some regression there?

<frg_Away> therube intial modules support is in 2.53.9. So probably something loads which now causes a loop. I have seen this stuff with analytics sh*t. Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false might work around it but not recommended. Blocking the scripts with NoScript should work.
<therube> frg_Away: no, NoScript "works", but then it gives you a "no javascript" message, & once you allow eqbank.ca, it goes into the loop
<therube> (toggling) dom.moduleScripts.enabled looks to work.
Last edited by therube on September 21st, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

Thank you both very much for testing the page, and your replies!

I see at the bottom of Peter's post, he's using SeaMonkey/2.53.8.1 so that seems to be why it worked for him.

I'll try to figure out how to add a new preference to about:config, but in the big picture it may indeed be a regression that needs to be fixed in the SM source?
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

type about:config in the address line
click enter
ignore or dismiss the warning
click anywhere on the page
select new
then select string
therube

Post by therube »

Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false might work around it but not recommended.
When I pasted, part of that quote got squished together (since changed).
The Pref, dom.moduleScripts.enabled, already exists, so all you have to do is to toggle its' value to 'false'.
Do note the warning ("not recommended" - of which I don't know why, so my thought would be to toggle that value, do your banking - hopefully will then complete successfully, then reset its' value back to default, 'true').
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

rdtom wrote:click anywhere on the page
select new
then select string
Thanks, that's the part I was missing.

So I created and set general.useragent.override.eqbank.ca to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0. It didn't help. Not a big surprise as the cause of this problem is likely quite different from that of the OP.

Is there a quick way to remove that preference entirely? So far I can just reset it to a null string.
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

therube wrote:
Setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false might work around it but not recommended.
When I pasted, part of that quote got squished together (since changed).
The Pref, dom.moduleScripts.enabled, already exists, so all you have to do is to toggle its' value to 'false'.
Do note the warning ("not recommended" - of which I don't know why, so my thought would be to toggle that value, do your banking - hopefully will then complete successfully, then reset its' value back to default, 'true').
Thanks. I tried that one and it worked as you suggested. It is good to have that to fall back on in a pinch, but I will probably just use Firefox for that site until (hopefully) the Seamonkey problem is resolved likewise.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

IdOp wrote:
rdtom wrote:Is there a quick way to remove that preference entirely?
Just click on it, right click, and select <reset>.
Last edited by Peter Creasey on September 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

In this case, the override is immaterial.
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

Peter Creasey wrote:Just click on it, right click, and select <reset>.
Right, thanks, and that's what I had done, but didn't explain that fully. So now the variable is there and is set to an empty string. It's not immediately clear what that will do. For exmaple, it could

(a) mean "ignore this variable entirely". SM will use its normal user agent for this site.
This would be what I want.

or it could mean

(b) do not send any user agent to this site. This could cause unwanted problems.

Without diving into the source code it would be hard to know what the effect is, for sure. What I'll try to do is, exit Seamonkey, look for the preferences file and edit that line out if possible.
therube wrote:In this case, the override is immaterial.
Agreed. :)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

It should have disappeared next you go to about:config.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

You're right it did! Cool. :)