FaceBook Problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
nickhog

Re: FaceBook Problem

Post by nickhog »

Please help keep this thread on subject... This is NOT a general browser not supported / page will not open issue.. This is a specific problem typing in comments when using Seamonkey on Facebook.
gheth54

Post by gheth54 »

I just upgraded to 2.53.9.1, does it fix the FB issue?
Unfortunately I'm teaching and FB is blocked!
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

gheth54 wrote:I just upgraded to 2.53.9.1, does it fix the FB issue?
No, it doesn't.
gheth54

Post by gheth54 »

Yes, just got home and logged on to FB, no joy!

Oh well, Seamonkey its been a great 20 year ride. But if the team issues a release, but failing to fix a major problem like this, all I can figure is they aren't listening, or don't care. I've spent a large amount of my life working in motor racing (yes including F1!) then automotive safety (Ford Safety Systems) and I never had the luxury to ignore major issues.
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

You do realise that the handful of people keeping SM alive are volunteers, right?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

gheth54 wrote:Oh well, Seamonkey its been a great 20 year ride. But if the team issues a release, but failing to fix a major problem like this, all I can figure is they aren't listening, or don't care.
Your view of SeaMonkey's development cycle is not realistic. You posted about the problem here only eight days ago, when SeaMonkey 2.53.9.1 was already being finalized for public release. Moreover, there's no evidence that any SeaMonkey developer has seen this thread (which lives on an unofficial forum unconnected with the SeaMonkey project), nor that you raised the issue on the official bug tracker where the developers actually would have a chance of seeing it. In short, you haven't made your problem report discoverable and haven't allowed for enough time for it to be investigated, let alone addressed in the SeaMonkey code. (And that's assuming the problem really does lie in SeaMonkey and not in Facebook itself.)
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

FWIW, I've just raised the issue on the Mozilla Bugzilla as Bug 1733051. Note that web compatibility bugs of this sort have typically languished because they're very hard to diagnose, often due to the affected sites using obfuscated JavaScript and other dirty tricks. If someone in this thread can help track down a specific HTML/CSS/JavaScript feature that is missing/buggy in SeaMonkey and therefore causing this problem with Facebook, that would help the developers identify and perhaps provide a solution.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Psychonaut wrote:If someone in this thread can help track down a specific HTML/CSS/JavaScript feature that is missing/buggy in SeaMonkey and therefore causing this problem with Facebook, that would help the developers identify and perhaps provide a solution.
Change general User Agent because site specific override is for advanced users only:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14904696
Update SeaMonkey to latest 2.53.9.1 (64-bit preferably)... :-"

Works for me. Without UA override.

Oh! And remember! "Site specific override" is not per website. It's per domain. So you'll need it for:
weather.com
mapbox.com
... and maybe others if such website requires them.

If you're tired with such individual overrides then you can set general override:
general.useragent.override
(without any domain name it will work for all).
Set value:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
(latest Firefox ESR 64-bit for this moment)

After general override check Menu -> Help -> About SeaMonkey and you'll see new UA

Now you can remove all site specific overrides (will be obsolete). Find them, click RMB and choose "Reset". After restart of SeaMonkey they'll be history.

This general override should resolve FB problem too.
I'm using separate profile for FB and FB only. General override made FB usable again.

Unofficial beta version has such UA (Firefox 78) by default:
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
--
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

Is it being suggested that FB is specifically targeting Seamonkey with JAVAscript weapons????? Targeting Seamonkey would be the only reasonable assumption since NO Other browser on the market is have the same issue. If one takes time to read the symptoms and the actions that have been taken by users (I.E. User agent spoofing, Site specific overrides, etc) with no improvement, it becomes clear that this is a Seamonkey Specific problem. The genius of the developers (volunteer or not) isn't in question, it's the attention/focus of the developers that appears to be misdirected. Bottom line, this IS a Seamonkey problem. That is clear when EVERY other browser on the market is not demonstrating the same problem. Seamonkey has been promising a next generation browser that is compatible with current internet practices, for years. So far, nothing but User Applied band aids and delay excuses. If the goal is to eliminate complaints by eliminating Users, the present approach is working. If you have NO users, you have No complaints. Dust your pride off and get to work... You developed this product, this is your baby to spank. Or, keep pointing blame and lose what loyal users you still have.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Nickhog, your posting is out of line.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

nickhog wrote:Is it being suggested that FB is specifically targeting Seamonkey with JAVAscript weapons?????
No. What I was saying is that many sites serve code and markup in a way that obfuscates its purpose and operation, and that this obfuscation makes it difficult for third parties to troubleshoot browser compatibility issues. Facebook does engage in such obfuscation, but it does so for all visitors, regardless of what browser they use. There's no reason to think that they are deliberately trying to exclude SeaMonkey users.
If one takes time to read the symptoms and the actions that have been taken by users (I.E. User agent spoofing, Site specific overrides, etc) with no improvement, it becomes clear that this is a Seamonkey Specific problem.
The problem is specific to SeaMonkey insofar as it happens with SeaMonkey and not with other browsers, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's some defect in SeaMonkey that is causing of the problem. It could be the case, for example, that Facebook is using some method other than examining the browser's user-agent string to determine the browser's capabilities and consequently what data to send, and happens to be sending broken code or markup to SeaMonkey.
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

Peter Creasey, define your line any way you like but, IMO, there is Nothing I stated that is inaccurate or false. Say it any way you like, Seamonkey is still the ONLY browser in the world that seems to be confused by FB and cannot put text on a line. Though I hesitate to use other browser names in this forum, even WaterFox, (with an even smaller support staff and, Heavily based on Seamonkey/Mozilla code) managed to release a version nearly a year ago that works fine with 99% of all sites I visit. OBTW, even Walmart.com confuses Seamonkey.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

nickhog wrote:Is it being suggested that FB is specifically targeting Seamonkey with JAVAscript weapons?????
Corpo managers, webdorks and other lazy retards are choosing "easy path" when designing website. They're using some scripts to detect particular browser and if it's not latest Chrome/Firefox/Safari then user will see page/window/pop-up with information about "outdated browser". They didn't choose to detect functionality because it's too much work for them (lazy ba****ds) or it will break help desk scripts/scenarios.

In most cases using fake User Agent will help and such website will work. Unfortunately, some websites are made for Chrome browser only because they're using experimental mechanisms/functionality present in Google's product only. Event latest Firefox nor MS Edge (based on Chromium) were not able to display them correctly. They're were so arrogant that there was information "latest Google Chrome only".
nickhog wrote:Targeting Seamonkey would be the only reasonable assumption since NO Other browser on the market is have the same issue.
Watch out for low flying quantifiers... :wink:

I'm 99.98 % sure you didn't tested ALL web browsers in the world.
nickhog wrote:Peter Creasey, define your line any way you like[...]
Please don't write "wall of text" (without paragraphs) because it's hard to read.
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

nickhog wrote:The genius of the developers (volunteer or not) isn't in question, it's the attention/focus of the developers that appears to be misdirected. Bottom line, this IS a Seamonkey problem. That is clear when EVERY other browser on the market is not demonstrating the same problem. Seamonkey has been promising a next generation browser that is compatible with current internet practices, for years. So far, nothing but User Applied band aids and delay excuses. If the goal is to eliminate complaints by eliminating Users, the present approach is working. If you have NO users, you have No complaints. Dust your pride off and get to work... You developed this product, this is your baby to spank. Or, keep pointing blame and lose what loyal users you still have.
You and your tantrum twin really are getting carried away with your silly selves, aren't you? Both of you need to learn how to control your tempers or you will not be posting here very much longer,

Neither of you has had the need to make many posts in all your years of using SeaMonkey prior to this thread and yet both now feel entitled to rip the devs a new one over this. You really are a pair of ungrateful sods.
nickhog wrote:Nothing I stated that is inaccurate or false. Say it any way you like, Seamonkey is still the ONLY browser in the world that seems to be confused by FB and cannot put text on a line.
I can think of at least two other browsers that are experiencing the exact same problem with Facebook at the present time.

Let's look at the problem. At present, there are 3 ways to enter a comment on Facebook -

1. Posting a New Comment. - this works in SeaMonkey.
2. Replying to someone who has replied to a Comment - this works in SeaMonkey.
3. Replying to the original Comment by someone - this is not working at present in SeaMonkey and at least two other browsers.

Leaving aside why Facebook felt the need to add a complex censoring script before someone had even entered their reply/comment....do I know a solution to 3. without having to use any other browser or program? Yes.

Will I share the solution with you and your chum? Nope, I don't ever reward bad behaviour. Just be content in the knowledge that you two have also deprived other Facebook users on this thread from that solution.

Apologise in full to our volunteer SeaMonkey devs and I may reconsider. Otherwise, help-wise, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

nickhog wrote: OBTW, even Walmart.com confuses Seamonkey.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14885451

Is it SeaMonkey's fault that you haven't got the sense to set a site specific Walmart override showing a SeaMonkey ONLY suffix, despite being shown that is where your problem lies?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

Ok, here we go... As usual, you and you are one of the most guilty of this... Break out the flame thrower and blast the users. I've watched this out of you for years.

If you have other browsers that has same issues... Post the names.

Or just continue your childish rant and keep your precious secrets... That is if you really have a working solution....

Or grow up and help solve the problem....

You don't come close to qualifying to judge what sense I have.... Now, go back to primping in front of the mirror and convince yourself you're Special....

My apologies to all other's posting in this thread, I always try not to let this little twit get under my skin.....