Modern authentication OAuth2

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

Modern authentication OAuth2

Post by ndebord »

Wonder if SeaMonkey can handle this?
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
ElTxolo

Re: Modern authentication OAuth2

Post by ElTxolo »

ndebord wrote:Wonder if SeaMonkey can handle this?
  • Image Yes, SeaMonkey 2.53.9.1 can use OAuth2, without any problems.

At least, I use a Yahoo! imap account with OAuth2:

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

I, on the other hand, am having trouble with OAuth2 and POP access to the Office 365 server... SMTP works fine.

This has come up a time or two around here, and I believe the last thing frg said - I may be paraphrasing here - was that I needed to be able to run the initial (very first time) sequence again, and make *sure* that things like uBlock Origin are disabled at that time.

My problem is that (I think) frg suggested the only way to make this "first-time" password setup to happen again would be in a fresh profile, which I *think* is a non-starter for me (I have 20+ years of email in this profile).

Hmmm... this will be an issue with the Microsoft email servers some day, we just have a reprieve for now.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

RDaneel wrote:I, on the other hand, am having trouble with OAuth2 and POP access to the Office 365 server... SMTP works fine.

This has come up a time or two around here, and I believe the last thing frg said - I may be paraphrasing here - was that I needed to be able to run the initial (very first time) sequence again, and make *sure* that things like uBlock Origin are disabled at that time.

My problem is that (I think) frg suggested the only way to make this "first-time" password setup to happen again would be in a fresh profile, which I *think* is a non-starter for me (I have 20+ years of email in this profile).

Hmmm... this will be an issue with the Microsoft email servers some day, we just have a reprieve for now.
RDaneel,

Not sure I understand the difference between Mod Auth and OAuth2 or if there is a difference. This is what Microsoft says about this new protocol: Modern authentication is based on the Active Directory Authentication Library (ADAL) and OAuth 2.0.

Sometime next year it will be the standard for their servers. For now, my POP3 Hotmail account uses outlook.office365.com at normal password.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks, "N"... :)

I may not have communicated very clearly - I am currently using password-based authentication without issue on my Office365 email account - but as I said, for POP access.

And yes, I was also referring to the postponed but still coming time when that will quit working - just under a year from now.

There is an "unusual" and complex [apparently] one-time sequence that is used to generate the OAuth2-required security tokens, and my working theory is that didn't work perfectly, due possibly to clashing with uBlock Origin... in any case, my POP access always fails with a generic "unknown user or bad password" message when I re-enable OAuth2.

I don't really *know* what the issue is, and it is difficult to do any experimentation because of being unable to force re-initiation of the whole OAuth2 security token building process - short of using a profile that this hasn't happened in, like one that doesn't contain my 25 years of email. :(
frg

Post by frg »

The oauth2 authorization code uses a provider specific web callback. For this to suceed NoScript and uBlock need to be temporary disabled. As soon as you have saved the password in your profile (something I usually don't do) you can turn them on again.

FRG
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Not to be argumentative, but this (disabling uBlock, NoScript has been uninstalled for some time now) makes no difference at all - I just tried this again.

I am still fairly sure that the initial process of setting up the OAuth2 authentication has to be re-started somehow - while uBlock is disabled, and I had thought previously that you were of the opinion I needed a fresh profile(?) to get this to happen.

It may be true that some method of purging the non-working OAuth2 "stuff" that has been saved to my profile will help - but nothing I have tried works.

As an example, the SM Password Manager insists that it has NO saved password info for office365.com... but of course it does, at least for the POP interactions. So does the email machinery even *use* the Password Manager?

Thanks for looking at this, I know it isn't a serious problem - yet. :|
frg

Post by frg »

I think I suggested to do it in a new profile to see if it even works there. I backported pop support but was unable to test this. If it fails in a new profile back to the drawing board and I need to check.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:I think I suggested to do it in a new profile to see if it even works there. I backported pop support but was unable to test this. If it fails in a new profile back to the drawing board and I need to check.

FRG
FRG,

OAuth2 works for my Yahoo account, what I wonder about is if there is a newer version of it that will cause issues, particularly with my POP3 Hotmail account somewhere down the road.

Nick
frg

Post by frg »

> OAuth2 works for my Yahoo account

For imap or pop? Imap is fine. I am not sure if pop was ever tested. Too many backports and errands run to keep in memory :)

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I use POP email almost exclusively so surely hope that SeaMonkey continues to be supportive of POP.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete