How to open ICS files in Lightning

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

How to open ICS files in Lightning

Post by ndebord »

In edit preferences, you have helper apps. Right now ICS uses the default of ask. How to get it to open up automatically in Lightning?

Tks for listening

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LinuxUserSince1991

Re: How to open ICS files in Lightning

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

ndebord wrote:In edit preferences, you have helper apps. Right now ICS uses the default of ask. How to get it to open up automatically in Lightning?
Does clicking on "Always Ask" do anything? It does for me--it opens a drop-down menu where I can make choices.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
ndebord wrote:In edit preferences, you have helper apps. Right now ICS uses the default of ask. How to get it to open up automatically in Lightning?
Does clicking on "Always Ask" do anything? It does for me--it opens a drop-down menu where I can make choices.
LinuxUser

Yes, I get the drop-down, but I see no way to have SM load lightning. It does give me choices, but not Lightning.

Tks,

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
hardys

Post by hardys »

as far as I'm aware you can not open a ics file in Lightning, you have to import it into Lightning
v_v

Post by v_v »

Nick,

Hardys is probably right on this. What I tried to do just now was to go to Windows Settings --- Apps --- Default Apps --- Choose Default Apps By File Type (and also Set defaults by app).

In "Choose Default Apps By File Type" I tried to reset ".ics" file types but I could find no way to set it for Lightning; Windows did not give me any palatable choices and wanted me to go to the Microsoft Store to look for an app. Since Lightning is not a program app but only a program app extension there was no way to set it to open all ".ics" files.

In "Set defaults by app" a similar situation occurred; Lightning is not mentioned in the apps, only SeaMonkey, and there was no choice under SeaMonkey for ".ics" file types.

How did you get ".ics" in your Preferences helper apps section? It does not show up in mine. But irregardless, the same situation seems to occur; because Lightning is an extension and not a program app it will not show up under the choices if you were to choose the "use other" option under the "actions".

So like hardys said it appears that Lightning is limited to importing ".ics" files and will not be able to open them by default.

[Edit 1 - Actually I just came up with another idea. Did you indicate that you have the ".ics" choice in the content type part of your "Helper apps"? If so, do you also have the Lightbird extension installed, and if so do you also have a Lightbird shortcut on your desktop? If you have answered yes to all of these, you might try the following: 1. under the ".ics" content in your Helper apps choose the action of "use other"; 2. when the app choices screen pops up, browse to your desktop and choose your Lightbird shortcut --- and see what happens. My Lightbird shortcut has the target command set to: "seamonkey.exe" -calendar ; or rather the full path of "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -calendar . On my computer this shortcut allows me to open the calendar directly from the desktop without opening the browser part of SeaMonkey. So just maybe if the shortcut is assigned to open ".ics" files it might work. I would try it myself but I do not have the ".ics" choice in my Helper apps content section and I do not know how to get it there.]

v_v
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

v_v wrote:Nick,

[Edit 1 - Actually I just came up with another idea. Did you indicate that you have the ".ics" choice in the content type part of your "Helper apps"? If so, do you also have the Lightbird extension installed, and if so do you also have a Lightbird shortcut on your desktop? If you have answered yes to all of these, you might try the following: 1. under the ".ics" content in your Helper apps choose the action of "use other"; 2. when the app choices screen pops up, browse to your desktop and choose your Lightbird shortcut --- and see what happens. My Lightbird shortcut has the target command set to: "seamonkey.exe" -calendar ; or rather the full path of "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -calendar . On my computer this shortcut allows me to open the calendar directly from the desktop without opening the browser part of SeaMonkey. So just maybe if the shortcut is assigned to open ".ics" files it might work. I would try it myself but I do not have the ".ics" choice in my Helper apps content section and I do not know how to get it there.]

v_v
v_v

Nice idea, but doesn't work. Created shortcut for lightning as you did, on my computer which is setup primarily for portable apps it is:

"C:\totalcmd\portableapps\seamonkeyportable\App\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -calendar

Works just fine as a shortcut from the desktop, but fails when you try to insert it in the helper applications. I do have that ICS File dialog box, but when I try to tell it to use that shortcut it fails because it does not recognize LNK as an application.

Nice try!

Nick
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

ndebord wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
LinuxUser

Yes, I get the drop-down, but I see no way to have SM load lightning. It does give me choices, but not Lightning.
I'm afraid I can't help you then, because we're using different OSes. With Linux, we can control *everything* but I don't know what your options are on Windows. So if it's not a SM setting issue, then it must be at the system level...and I'm of no help there!
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Can't help what I don't know. System level? Brrrrrr. Have used Puppy in the past, but most of the non-profit people I work with use Windows, so...

Nick