Update Changed My Default Page Display Font

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
terryj99

Update Changed My Default Page Display Font

Post by terryj99 »

When my SeaMonkey (Mac) updated from 2.53.9 to 2.53.9.1 my default display font changed — reading html files from disk, these former Times default displays suddenly all appeared in Arial/Helvetica. These are files that were created in SeaMonkey Composer largely with no font coding. They still look normal (Times) when read by Firefox. Temporary solution: turn off auto-updates and reinstall an older SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1

Is there something I can edit (like in about:config) to set this default to Times where a font is not designated in the html code?
LinuxUserSince1991

Re: Update Changed My Default Page Display Font

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

terryj99 wrote:When my SeaMonkey (Mac) updated from 2.53.9 to 2.53.9.1 my default display font changed — reading html files from disk, these former Times default displays suddenly all appeared in Arial/Helvetica. These are files that were created in SeaMonkey Composer largely with no font coding. They still look normal (Times) when read by Firefox. Temporary solution: turn off auto-updates and reinstall an older SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1
I'm sorry, but I'm not clear on what pages you're talking about. Do you mean web pages in general, like the one you're viewing right now? Or specific pages you created that are being served up locally?
Is there something I can edit (like in about:config) to set this default to Times where a font is not designated in the html code?
Have you thoroughly explored Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Fonts? Or does that not apply here?
terryj99

Post by terryj99 »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Do you mean web pages in general, like the one you're viewing right now? Or specific pages you created that are being served up locally?
The latter -- pages created in SeaMonkey Composer being served up locally, all WYSIWYG composition, seldom was html code messed with.

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote: Have you thoroughly explored Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Fonts? Or does that not apply here?
I will have to give that a try when I read up on what and where that has effects in the presentation of a web page. Maybe I'll need to see if its settings change between what I've downgraded back to (SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1) versus the newer 2.53.9.1 where the problem appeared after the upgrade. I've been upgrading SeaMonkey over the last 10 years or more, never ran into anything like this.

Thanks for responding.
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

terryj99 wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:Do you mean web pages in general, like the one you're viewing right now? Or specific pages you created that are being served up locally?
The latter -- pages created in SeaMonkey Composer being served up locally, all WYSIWYG composition, seldom was html code messed with.

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote: Have you thoroughly explored Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Fonts? Or does that not apply here?
I will have to give that a try when I read up on what and where that has effects in the presentation of a web page. Maybe I'll need to see if its settings change between what I've downgraded back to (SeaMonkey 2.53.8.1) versus the newer 2.53.9.1 where the problem appeared after the upgrade. I've been upgrading SeaMonkey over the last 10 years or more, never ran into anything like this.

Thanks for responding.
You're welcome. :)

Okay, see what you find after tinkering with the font preferences. There are other things that can be changed, too, for example in userChrome.css and/or userContent.css files; I long ago gave each of my SM tabs its own color by making use of those files! See what you find out and post again--if no one else comes along with a solution. :)
hardys

Post by hardys »