Seamonkey 2.53.9.1 slow down

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bigjeff66

Seamonkey 2.53.9.1 slow down

Post by bigjeff66 »

Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while. When typing it takes a few seconds to see the words after they are typed. Also when it is doing thing the cpu usage goes up for a bit. Some of the pages are slow to load with same effect on cpu. If I reboot my pc (windows 7 x 64 ) every thing works fine for a while then does it again. Any suggestions as to the problem?
Thanks
TPR75

Re: Seamonkey 2.53.9.1 slow down

Post by TPR75 »

bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while.[...] Any suggestions as to the problem?
Avoid pages heavy of ads/scripts or at least block some of such scripts. And free memory after visiting such websites:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14865896
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 20th, 2021, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
--
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Reboot of the computer is probably overkill. How about just reboot SeaMonkey?
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while. When typing it takes a few seconds to see the words after they are typed. Also when it is doing thing the cpu usage goes up for a bit. Some of the pages are slow to load with same effect on cpu. If I reboot my pc (windows 7 x 64 ) every thing works fine for a while then does it again. Any suggestions as to the problem?
Thanks
bigjeff,

Something seems weird in your setup, no clue what. Maybe somebody here can help you change your profile. I'm using SM 2.53.9.1 with no problems like what you are talking about here. Have run into a few web sites that choke SeaMonkey, but after asking about them from others, the common reponse is poor web site design.

about:memory

give you that ability to kill memory use which may be of some help to you.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while. When typing it takes a few seconds to see the words after they are typed.
I've seen this, starting back in the 2.4x series, but it only happens after SeaMonkey is open continuously for two weeks or more of solid daily use for both mail (including mailing lists), news feeds and web browsing. Merely restarting SeaMonkey always fixed it. I'll try the about:memory option myself next time it happens.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while.
[....] Any suggestions as to the problem?
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

bigjeff66

Let me know if it works for you.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

trevoz wrote:
bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while. When typing it takes a few seconds to see the words after they are typed.
I've seen this, starting back in the 2.4x series, but it only happens after SeaMonkey is open continuously for two weeks or more of solid daily use for both mail (including mailing lists), news feeds and web browsing. Merely restarting SeaMonkey always fixed it. I'll try the about:memory option myself next time it happens.
Indeed, About:Memory > GC CC Minimize memory fixed it for me!
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

trevoz wrote:
trevoz wrote:
Indeed, About:Memory > GC CC Minimize memory fixed it for me!
trevoz and bigjeff66,

IF you use Add-Ons Manager and install 1.0.2.1 Toolbar Buttons, there is a little house icon called Open favourite page. In Options for that extension for favorite page, put about:memory, then when you use customize to change your main toolbar, drag that house icon to your main toolbar and you will no longer have to type the whole thing into your search.

Nick
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

I keep hoping that every new version of SeaMonkey will fix this, but no such luck yet. Only solution for me is to exit the browser when RAM goes over 1 gig, and re-open. I suggest the same. I have no idea how to use about:memory, afraid I'll click something I'm not supposed to.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Launch about:memory and run the 3 "Free Memory" actions.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

I hope that future versions of SeaMonkey will finally address this slowdown as well as "site not working properly" issues. What's the point of updates that don't actually improve the performance of the web browser?
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

NWKnight77 wrote:[....] What's the point of updates that don't actually improve the performance of the web browser?
  • What is the point, of repeating like a broken record the same antics and stupidities, over and over again?
  • If your SeaMonkey installation is rotten, it is YOUR problem, NOT ours.
    I and many other people, use SeaMonkey WITHOUT any issues.
  • Miracles do NOT exist. It is up to the user, to solve the problems he/she has.
    And, you and others, have already been told to perform the diagnostics.
  • And last and most important. Stop discrediting, and disrespecting the people of the SeaMonkey Council (frg, IanN, Ewong ...),
    who care about maintaining and updating SeaMonkey in their spare time

Image pt mn
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240412 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

bigjeff66 wrote:Lately seamonkey slows down or hangs after a while. When typing it takes a few seconds to see the words after they are typed. Also when it is doing thing the cpu usage goes up for a bit. Some of the pages are slow to load with same effect on cpu. If I reboot my pc (windows 7 x 64 ) every thing works fine for a while then does it again. Any suggestions as to the problem?
Absolutely!! Use Linux.
Thanks
You're welcome. :)

Seriously, though, what you're describing just sounds like a typical part of using windows, i.e., having to reboot constantly to 'fix' problems--that don't exist on better operating systems.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

NWKnight77 wrote:I keep hoping that every new version of SeaMonkey will fix this, but no such luck yet. Only solution for me is to exit the browser when RAM goes over 1 gig, and re-open. I suggest the same. I have no idea how to use about:memory, afraid I'll click something I'm not supposed to.
NWKnight77,

Did you install toolbar buttons and type in about:memory in its dialog box where you can tell it most anything, including a favorite website, or this method of reducing memory usage?

Toolbar buttons, is one of the best extensions, in my opinion, that every showed up for Seamonkey. Invaluable and so easy to use, Give it a try. It will solve your memory issues quickly.

Nick