Exporting/Importing Mail and News

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
xxyyz

Exporting/Importing Mail and News

Post by xxyyz »

How can I export complete Mail and News (including servers, accounts, preferences) from one windows PC to another while keeping all the rest of the profile on the importing PC default - e.g. without the about:config changes made on the exporting PC.
ElTxolo

Re: Exporting/Importing Mail and News

Post by ElTxolo »

xxyyz wrote:How can I export complete Mail and News (including servers, accounts, preferences) from one windows PC to another while keeping all the rest of the profile on the importing PC default - e.g. without the about:config changes made on the exporting PC.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
xxyyz

Post by xxyyz »

Thank you, but the links do not cover what I want to do - they all require setting up the e-mail and news accounts on the new PC before importing the mail and news folders. I want to import the accounts/passwords/etc. as well as the folders.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I second that request, in case anyone knows how to do it.

I have also searched all the existing import export information without finding any reference to what I want to do.

In my case for example, I have similar profiles on two computers, with several matching mail accounts. Occasionaly, I might add a new mail account on one computer.

Later, I want to transfer this additional account to the second computer. I can copy the mbox files to the profile/mail folder, but it will not recognize them.

As a potential solution, I would like to know if I can edit the file where the account info is stored, and paste in the info for the added account.

Is that possible?

I know I can re-create the account, and then copy/rename the mbox files, so really just wanting to save the steps to re-create the account(s).
v_v

Post by v_v »

I do not know if this would help either one of you (xxyyz or Rob_S) but are you aware that you could copy the entire SeaMonkey profile from the old computer? By this I mean copying the entire folder at " C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey " (on Windows 10) and placing it in the same position on the second computer. (Of course you would need to install SeaMonkey first and then just replace the newly created folder with the copied folder from the first computer.) This would be everything and not just the Mail and News. Once you get the whole profile (meaning 'everything') over to the second computer, couldn't you modify/tweak it in any way that you want at that point?

v_v
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Agreed - recopying the entire profile works and I have done that frequently when I get a new computer, or just want to transfer my profile. Using an external hardrive makes it faster.

However, if I want to just copy the mail accounts without affecting bookmarks and browsing history and passwords, it would still be nice if somebody knew which exact file stores the mail account information. It does not appear to be inside the "mail" folder.

Then, we could look at that file, and see if it is do-able to insert the lines for an additional account, or try copying just that particular file to gain access to the additional account.

Maybe this is in a file with all kinds of other settings, thus not really possible. At this time I just don't know.

To some this may seem like trying to do things the hard way. Just recreate the desired account(s) using the normal interface, then copy in the requisite mbox files from the source computer, and done.
hardys

Post by hardys »

This settings are stored in your profile folder in the prefs.js file.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I had a good look in there - (prefs.js) and fairly quickly concluded that it would be much easier to create a new account in the interface provided!!

I also discovered it contained many lines of info relating to printers I no longer have. Anyone know if it is safe to just delete those?
xxyyz

Post by xxyyz »

Thank you, Rob_S - we want the same thing.
As I understand it, there is no way to import Mail and News except (a) import the whole profile or (b) edit prefs,js (or use about:config) - but each account has ~30 entries so it would be much easier just to set up the accounts on the importing computer, right?
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

Rob_S wrote:I had a good look in there - (prefs.js) and fairly quickly concluded that it would be much easier to create a new account in the interface provided!!

I also discovered it contained many lines of info relating to printers I no longer have. Anyone know if it is safe to just delete those?
Yes!
But do so with SeaMonkey closed.