SM 2.53.10 crashes after upgrade [SOLVED with rollback]

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Rick!

SM 2.53.10 crashes after upgrade [SOLVED with rollback]

Post by Rick! »

--------------------------------------------------
20220109 - Update
After many tries I uninstalled 2.53.10* and deleted it's profile data.
Copied back profile saved for 2.49.5 pass-throug version and installed that, restarting windows in-between.
It's working fine, so will stay with that until a 128bit or a Quantum version ](*,)

The most annoying thing is that there was ABSOLUTELY no clue of what was going wrong with my profile data.
Not one single crash report as been sent back (even for 2.53.10 despite this https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/2021 ... incl-beta/)

Thanks everybody.
--------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody.
I sadly didn't minded for years that was still using an old 2.46 version on Win7/64bit (cannot go over 7 on this PC due to legacy progs).
So 2 hous ago I perferctely followed all in this topic viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3080420&hilit=upgrading+from+2.46 and all gone well until the upgrade to 2.49.5 that worked fine.

The last step was to be 2.53.10 but being available I installed 2.53.10.2 overwriting the 2.49.5.
Here the wolves came: SM crashes (after randomly 1 or 10 minutes) and crashes in safe-mode too :-(

I need it only for email and occasionally use it for browsing, but all my emails are only there, so at the end don't need the really last version, just one working.

Due to profiles changes made by 2.53.x version (as I read here: https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/) what is the safest way to rollback (to 2.49.5 or even the 2.46)?
Of course I have full backups of my folder profile on another disk and 7zip-tested-MozBackups, so restoring the profile folder and installing an older version could be the easy and safest way?

Until not strictly necessary I do prefer not to switch to Thunderbird

Thanks in advance

EDIT: already tried to restart and to uninstall/reinstall the 2.53.10 :(
Last edited by Rick! on January 9th, 2022, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
frg

Re: SM 2.53.10 crashes after upgrade

Post by frg »

fwiw I am regularly using 2.53.10.2 on real Windows 7 x64 hardware and my mail account is on it too in a vm. No crashes of this sort.

Might be worth to check extensions and also list hardware specs from about:support.

FRG
Rick!

Post by Rick! »

Hi frg, thanks for helping.
Got both about:support raw and text stuffs, can I paste (one or both or them?) for an help?

Some more details
Only strange things I can see are printers I dismissed more than 10y ago, and local settings being en-US on an it-IT local system, but was the same on 2.46.
It crashed again ("not responding") while scrolling the page, I stored the crash report data if useful

My profle folder is more than 12GB (yes GIGA bytes, mostly email data), but was working fine in 2.46

The only new thing came with newer version is Lightning 5.8.10 (the calendar)

There was a very old "True Full Screen in SeaMonkey" extension installed years ago; just deleted, but after crash, reopen and closing SM it remained as a process getting 13% of CPU
The only (un-needed) other extensions I got are:
* Chatzilla 0.10
* DOM Inspector 2.0.19
* Lightning 5.8.10

But still crashes ](*,)

TIA
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rick! wrote:The last step was to be 2.53.10 but being available I installed 2.53.10.2 overwriting the 2.49.5.
Here the wolves came: SM crashes (after randomly 1 or 10 minutes) and crashes in safe-mode too
For test create new profile:
Menu -Tools -> Switch profile -> Manage Profiles -> Create Profile
Important things:
1) set mail server to keep messages
2) set mail account to not automatically download new messages

Don't use e-mail part, just browse letting SeaMonkey to run for some time. Did it crash? If answer is "NO" then something is wrong with your old profile. Like FRG wrote it could be outdated extension, plugin or theme. Disable/uninstall it one by one and check again.

If answer is "YES" (new profile crashes) then something is wrong with your OS or hardware. Or with 3rd-party software like antivirus. In past it happened that some files of SeaMonkey were recognized as "dangerous" and moved to quarantine or even deleted.
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rick! wrote:It crashed again ("not responding") while scrolling the page, I stored the crash report data if useful
What "page"? Website or message body?

If webpage will it "crash" on every website or just some?

By "crash" you mean that SeaMonkey is not responding and you must forcefully close it? Or maybe it really disappears without your intervention?

Do you use some ads/scripts blockers? Like Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin?
--
Rick!

Post by Rick! »

TPR75 wrote:
Rick! wrote:It crashed again ("not responding") while scrolling the page, I stored the crash report data if useful
What "page"? Website or message body?

If webpage will it "crash" on every website or just some?

By "crash" you mean that SeaMonkey is not responding and you must forcefully close it? Or maybe it really disappears without your intervention?
The last you told: mostly times SM crashes(and ask to send report) or simply goes "not responding" and I must force close it via the process panel
It crashes, after some minute, even with no sites opened and only one blank tab
Do you use some ads/scripts blockers? Like Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin?
None of them on SM, except for those 3 extension it has always been a full, standard, raw install.

Just for testing, a brand new clean profile is regularly working, so maybe there's someting in my old data that's disturbing.
At this point a procedure/tutorial for simply import bookmarks and email data from my backups may be a good solution
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rick! wrote:The last you told: mostly times SM crashes(and ask to send report) or simply goes "not responding" and I must force close it via the process panel
It crashes, after some minute, even with no sites opened and only one blank tab
Strange thing. Yesterday I've experienced some crash. There were no external website open (just about:mozilla). E-mail accounts were set to automatic download in background (in c.a. 20 minutes intervals) but there were no incoming messages.

Crash reporting doesn't work so far so I can't decipher what is in crash report. Oh! And I have crash report for SM 2.53.10.1 too but I though it was caused by websites (several tabs with medium JS load) when I leaved them for some time without "attention" (one hour or more). Maybe latest SeaMonkey updates requires more attention from user... :?
--
Rick!

Post by Rick! »

TPR75 wrote:Crash reporting doesn't work so far so I can't decipher what is in crash report. Oh! And I have crash report for SM 2.53.10.1 too but I though it was caused by websites (several tabs with medium JS load) when I leaved them for some time without "attention" (one hour or more). Maybe latest SeaMonkey updates requires more attention from user... :?
Yes, they aren't being uploaded for me too :(

BTW the summary crash info can be copied from the submitting window (there's a button, caution your email address is in there in case you share them), and all crash data with *.dmp files are in "Crash reports" folder and subfolders of the profile Roaming/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/ folder

My suspetcs are all for memory troubles, but I'm not able to investigate.
The clean profile still works well, but my own one still creashes (12GB blob of stuff) even if still appear intact. email, passwords, bookmatks, etc. are still ok

I'm wondering if:
- uninstall 2.53
- backup and delete the actual (corrupted?) profile content and replacing it with the 2.49.5 one
- installing 2.49.5
restarting PC on every step may work and land me to a stable situation :-k

I'm also tempted to try reverting to 2.46 :shock:
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rick! wrote: I'm wondering if:
- uninstall 2.53
- backup and delete the actual (corrupted?) profile content and replacing it with the 2.49.5 one
- installing 2.49.5
restarting PC on every step may work and land me to a stable situation :-k

I'm also tempted to try reverting to 2.46 :shock:
If you really must to downgrade then try 2.53.9.1:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... /2.53.9.1/

I'll wait for 2.53.11 but in my case such crashes are sporadic (one at 2021-12-23 and second at 2022-01-07).

You can test 2.53.11 beta version:
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
(backup your profile first)
--
TPR75

Re: SM 2.53.10 crashes after upgrade [SOLVED with rollback]

Post by TPR75 »

And another one:
https://crash-reports-test.seamonkey-pr ... 20a0220111
Crash Reason EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION [ 0xc0000005 ]
No website was open. I was on IMAP inbox and was trying to copy some text from message.
--