Totally separate installation?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Wish You Were Here

Totally separate installation?

Post by Wish You Were Here »

People here keep ragging on me for using 2.49.X which I use because I'm familiar with it and the plugins and extensions still work and it isn't Goo/Chrom based or whatever the new stuff is.

But if I wanted to try the latest version WITHOUT compromising the current install, how can I do it? There must not be any risk at all of corrupting anything in 2.49.x

I see to recall trying to install in a new folder and some parts still got shared in Users/AppData
hardys

Re: Totally separate installation?

Post by hardys »

Maybe have a look at the portable version of SM

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/ ... y_portable
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Wish You Were Here wrote:People here keep ragging on me for using 2.49.X which I use because I'm familiar with it and the plugins and extensions still work and it isn't Goo/Chrom based or whatever the new stuff is.

But if I wanted to try the latest version WITHOUT compromising the current install, how can I do it? There must not be any risk at all of corrupting anything in 2.49.x

I see to recall trying to install in a new folder and some parts still got shared in Users/AppData
As Hardys says. Try the portable version of SeaMonkey. Won't hurt your installed version at all. Personally I always use the portable version on my laptop and on my USB stick.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Wish You Were Here wrote:People here keep ragging on me for using 2.49.X which I use because I'm familiar with it and the plugins and extensions still work and it isn't Goo/Chrom based or whatever the new stuff is.

First of all make full backup of your SeaMonkey user's profile:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
(entire "SeaMonkey profile).

Search for information how to transfer data to new profile, e.g. here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey

You can choose what profile to start:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Starting_your ... ed_profile
... and you can do it simultaneously if you will use "-no-remote" switch, e.g.:

"C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -no-remote -P "Test"
Download latest SeaMonkey:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
... but don't install it yet!

If you don't have then install 7-Zip:
https://www.7-zip.org/

It will allow to "unzip" installer to new folder (your choice). There should be folder named "core". You can rename and move it if you like. The trick is to change shortcut to run unzipped latest SeaMonkey instead installed old one, e.g.:

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\Downloads\seamonkey-2.53.10.2.en-US.win64.installer\core\seamonkey.exe -no-remote -P "test2"
In the same time you have your old SeaMonkey with your old profile and latest SeaMonkey with old "imported-to-newer-version" profile. So you can test and check e.g. which extension is not working.
--
n0spam

Post by n0spam »

You can use a zipped portable version from https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/
The latest one is 2.53.10.2: https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... 2.53.10.2/

Obviously, make a backup of your profile or use a brand new one.
therube

Post by therube »

That is not "portable" (in a "portableapps" kind of sense), simply packed as a ZIP rather then a .exe installer.
(And actually, except for not containing "setup.exe" gives exactly the same results as manually unpacking that TPR mentioned.)

portableapps is actually self-contained & certainly should not conflict.
The same can be accomplished using any number of methods - simply by specifying Profile locations (& making sure your shortcuts are correct...).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Wish You Were Here

therube wrote: The same can be accomplished using any number of methods - simply by specifying Profile locations (& making sure your shortcuts are correct...).
That's what I'm hoping to try. The rest sounds too complicated.

Not sure about the third party thing.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Wish You Were Here wrote:
therube wrote: The same can be accomplished using any number of methods - simply by specifying Profile locations (& making sure your shortcuts are correct...).
That's what I'm hoping to try. The rest sounds too complicated.

Not sure about the third party thing.
Wish You Were Here,

To my mind, the simplest way to go forward is to download the portable version. It will keep all its data in its own program folder where it will not interfere with your older installed version.

For example: C:\portableapps\seamonkeyportable\seamonkeyportable.exe

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

install SeaMonkey in different place than default
Perhaps on a different drive

The following may not be applicable to you. It is more for having profiles is a separate location

in profile.ini
This is the default location (AppData)

[Profile(number)]
Name=Default User
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/xxxxxxxx.Default User
This would be a separate location

[Profile(number)]
Name=(name of profile)
IsRelative=0
Path=J:\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\profiles\(name of profile)
In profile.ini profiles start at 0 and go up
Name is what you call your profile
IsRelative 1 is the default location, 0 is a separate location
Path in the default location has forward slashes,
in the separate location Path has back slashes
in the separate location you have to tell windows exactly where the profile is

OR

you can do what I do now
Install SeaMonkey on a different drive
Each version of SeaMonkey in its own folder
Open SeaMonkey in Windows Explorer
Create a shortcut to seamonkey.exe
windows will place that shortcut in the folder where seamonkey.exe exists
Drag that shortcut to your desktop
right click on that shortcut, then click properties
In properties
There are two boxes
Target and Start in
Start tells windows where seamonkey.exe is at
Start in:

"J:\(Path to executable)"
Keep the quote marks, but not the parentheses
Target tells where profile is at

"J:\(Path to executable)\seamonkey.exe" -profile "J:\(name of profile)"
use the switch -profile to launch SeaMonkey
Last edited by rdtom on January 17th, 2022, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Wish You Were Here...
Please, there's absolutely no need for you to use anything but the PORTABLE version...as noted.
Why complicate things?

It will not interfere with your FULL version.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
oui

Post by oui »

LIMPET235 wrote:Wish You Were Here...
Please, there's absolutely no need for you to use anything but the PORTABLE version...as noted.
Why complicate things?

It will not interfere with your FULL version.
2 questions:

Question 1: I read at the download site "Windows". What is with Linux 32 bits / Linux 64 bits (without compatibility lib's)?

Question 2: are OLD versions from the PORTABLE version (for xulrunner programmers, I suppose base of it until Seamonkey 2.32.x) also available and for those OS's?
oui

Post by oui »

I use actually palemoon 29.2.0 (32 bits) in linux 32 bits to do that (and Seamonkey 2.32 for xulrunner)

As palemoon does not save in ~/mozilla/ but in ~/.moonchild productionjs/ , that is possible!
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

If you were using Linux, installing SM wherever you want, and completely independent of any other installations, is a breeze. Just place the new/different SM directory wherever you want it, and start using it. Done. It's not like windows at all, where you have to plod through an installation process and the system decides where to put various files. *YOU* decide where it goes, and that's that!
Wish You Were Here

Downloaded and installed the Portable version on the E: drive which should be fully separate from the main install on the C: drive, yet it won't let me run both so I can compare them side by side.

Screenshot:

https://ibb.co/K9YPDdP
therube

Post by therube »

That's odd.

Is your 2.49 also a Portable Apps version?
(Even if so, it should be independent, shouldn't it.)

Possibly, the 2.53 PA hung in memory at some point, so it is in fact reporting correctly?
See if ps (or whatever other utility Linux might have) might show that?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript