Google tightening email security

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Google tightening email security

Post by Peter Creasey »

Here is what Google is saying...
On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn moreWhat do you need to do?

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
What will need to be done for SeaMonkey email processor to continue to handle Google email?

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Re: Google tightening email security

Post by Anonymosity »

So far, SeaMonkey is still able to use Gmail.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, agreed.

The question is what needs to be done on or before May 30 so that SeaMonkey is still able to use Gmail.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Yes, agreed.

The question is what needs to be done on or before May 30 so that SeaMonkey is still able to use Gmail.
I'm not sure, but I think the answer is: nothing.

When I received that message from Google, I took it to mean apps and sites that access your account, with your permission. Since I never use this feature, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I do *not* think an e-mail client qualifies. What they mean by "third party apps" would be something like a gaming app or a social media site that you've allowed to log in and access your G account, like to view your contacts and match them up with other members, stuff like that.

I could be totally off-base here, and that's fine! We'll find out more when the time comes, but I'm not sweating it. I've always used SM for my Gmail and don't plan to stop, so one way or another I'm sure it'll work out okay.
davexl

Post by davexl »

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... ur-account

SeaMonkey support - Please liase with Google to get the gmail spec included within the next release of SeaMonkey!

All SeaMonket Gmail users need to use this "less secure app" option to download our Gmail. It simply doesn't work otherwise.

If not fixed, it will be the end of SeaMonkey for the thousands of us who use Gmail as our mail store. (POP / Imap).
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Hopefully, there will be an understandable explanation of what we SM users might need to do with gmail processing.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

I really think they're looking at *apps*--as in Android apps--not computer browsers/e-mail clients. But, again, I could be totally wrong...and then I don't know what I'll do. Luckily, I NEVER use my GM address at all, never have; the ONLY entity that even knows it is Google, and I only created it because it was mandatory in order to use the Play store. So the only mail I ever receive at my GM address is from Google... no big deal if I lose access to that! :)
davexl

Post by davexl »

Peter Creasey wrote:Yes, agreed.

I note that in the Thunderbird 60 release Notes that apply for 2.53.11...

"OAuth2 authentication is enabled for Yahoo and AOL..."

I guess if OAuth2 can be enabled for Gmail the problem might be fixed ??

I have turned off 3rd-party access to google and tried the OAuth2 authentication option in SeaMonkey.

I get the following:
"The STAT command did not succeed. Error getting message number and sizes. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Invalid credentials."

Fix this for Gmail and we can use OAuth 2 hopefully?
Friendly Troll

Post by Friendly Troll »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:I really think they're looking at *apps*--as in Android apps--not computer browsers/e-mail clients. But, again, I could be totally wrong...and then I don't know what I'll do. Luckily, I NEVER use my GM address at all, never have; the ONLY entity that even knows it is Google, and I only created it because it was mandatory in order to use the Play store. So the only mail I ever receive at my GM address is from Google... no big deal if I lose access to that! :)
I think you _are_ wrong. 'Apps' in this context are likely to typically be email clients. Like SeaMonkey - running on your PC.
Every person is unique, except for me.
LinuxUserSince1991

Friendly Troll wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:I really think they're looking at *apps*--as in Android apps--not computer browsers/e-mail clients. But, again, I could be totally wrong...and then I don't know what I'll do. Luckily, I NEVER use my GM address at all, never have; the ONLY entity that even knows it is Google, and I only created it because it was mandatory in order to use the Play store. So the only mail I ever receive at my GM address is from Google... no big deal if I lose access to that! :)
I think you _are_ wrong. 'Apps' in this context are likely to typically be email clients. Like SeaMonkey - running on your PC.
VERY possible! As I've already said. :)

I just think that the word 'app' generally refers to apps on mobile devices--smartphones, tablets, etc. Of course it can be broadened to include computer programs. We'll soon see how they mean it.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I believe that SeaMonkey is considered a 3rd party email client so that SM users will be affected. The question is what will users need to do.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Can anyone say how to enable OAuth authentication in SeaMonkey?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Peter Creasey wrote:Can anyone say how to enable OAuth authentication in SeaMonkey?
Sure:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3080355
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Okay, thanks, has anyone enabled OAuth authentication in SeaMonkey and found it to work fine with POP email accounts?

Is there anything that needs to be done in conjunction with enabling OAth authentication for POP email accounts?

Thanks for any thoughts/details.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I had to use 0Auth2 with the SM email reader in order to get it to work with Gmail IMAP. I am now wondering what I need to do to get Gmail webmail to work with Safari on an iPad after May 30.