Seamonkey reported as "obsolete browser"

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
roland39

Seamonkey reported as "obsolete browser"

Post by roland39 »

Many websites refuse Seamonkey as an up-to-date browser, and request use of a "current browser such as safari, chrome, or firefox".
This is puzzling, as Seamonkey is claimed to be built on the latest firefox base.
Is there something I can do, so that the web language does not think it to be obsolete?
DanRaisch

Re: Seamonkey reported as "obsolete browser"

Post by DanRaisch »

See if the recommendation in this thread is helpful -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14915235
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

DanRaisch wrote:See if the recommendation in this thread is helpful -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14915235
Dan, that is confusing. It says to use something prior to Firefox/78.

I thought that Firefox/78.0 is the best approach.

Can you clarify, please?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

roland39 wrote:Many websites refuse Seamonkey as an up-to-date browser, and request use of a "current browser such as safari, chrome, or firefox".
Bank of America and ADT have been telling me that FOREVER!!! It's so annoying.

I've contacted BofA numerous times over the years, and ADT at least 2-3 times, but to no avail.
roland39

Post by roland39 »

...I don't want a site-specific solution. There is a flaw in what Seamonkey tells html engines what it really is.
Here is another example:

Thank you for visiting nature.com. You are using a browser version with limited support for CSS. To obtain the best experience, we recommend you use a more up to date browser (or turn off compatibility mode in Internet Explorer). In the meantime, to ensure continued support, we are displaying the site without styles and JavaScript.

Advertisement
Nature Astronomy

View all journals
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The flaw is with the website that accepts only specific browser IDs when there may be nothing they require that other browsers do not support.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

roland39 wrote: This is puzzling, as Seamonkey is claimed to be built on the latest firefox base.
in terms of security (as in having the recent security fixes from recent Firefox ESR releases), yes
in terms of features & the newest browsing engine from firefox, no
Seamonkey does not use the "quantum browser engine" found in recent/modern Firefox versions
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

DanRaisch wrote:The flaw is with the website that accepts only specific browser IDs when there may be nothing they require that other browsers do not support.
This might explain why Peacock will only work in Firefox for me. I also have the Chrome-like SRware Iron on this PC, since I don't trust Google. That browser gets rejected as well as SeaMonkey.
frg

Post by frg »

> Seamonkey does not use the "quantum browser engine" found in recent/modern Firefox versions

There is no quantum browser engine. It is marketing. The latest 2.53.12+ versions are now well beyond the so called 57 Quantum level. What is still missing is enabling the new style engine which was enabled in 57 but really only stable in 60. If it were not for rust it would work too but later rust versions broke the code.

What is one of the problems is that large / many sites use bloated javascript frame works which need recent features not even stable and tailored for Google Chrome.

FRG