Email Troubles

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

Email Troubles

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
First, I've had SM for a very long time and unfortunately it's getting buggier as it ages. I'm currently using 2.53.7. I've considered starting from scratch but I have several folders in my email that I can't lose. My questions/problems are:
1) Is there any way to start fresh with the newest version of SM and be able to move those folders over without dragging all my "issues" with it?
2) One of my cats stepped on my keyboard and screwed all sorts of things up which I've probably made worse by trying to fix them. One is that emails disappear, I think after I read them. If I do a search, it finds the email which says it's in my inbox but isn't. How can I fix that so they don't disappear?
3) When someone sends me an email with a picture/file attachment, I can't see the file/pic attachment. It used to post as a link in the email which I just clicked on and it took me to the doc. Any fix on that?

Thank you!
DanRaisch

Re: Email Troubles

Post by DanRaisch »

The problems you describe as very unlikely to be caused by the program and are more likely due to issues with the stored message data.
How is the account set up, as POP or IMAP? In SeaMonkey, the path is Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type".
trevoz

Re: Email Troubles

Post by trevoz »

Dritz wrote:Hi,
First, I've had SM for a very long time and unfortunately it's getting buggier as it ages. I'm currently using 2.53.7. I've considered starting from scratch but I have several folders in my email that I can't lose.
I am using the original mail spool that I started back in January 1996 with Netscape Communicator on Windows NT. I have never had any of your reported email issues despite moving my mail from Windows NT to FreeBSD in the late 1990s and since then migrating from Netscape Communicator to Mozilla Application Suite and then to SeaMonkey.

Like the previous poster, I think it is more likely that there is some corruption in your email storage.

I'm guessing that you have not been keeping backups? The insurance you don't need until you do. If that is the case, you should backup your mail folder before doing anything else and preferably to a different disk.

Next I would try repairing the mail folders: right click on each one, choose properties, and repair folder.