I've added add-ons - now what?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Gummyshoes

I've added add-ons - now what?

Post by Gummyshoes »

I haven't used Sea Monkey in quite a while (years) and I have forgotten how to use the add-ons.
On other browsers, the icons are shown on the browser icon bar.
I've been looking for the icons of the add-ons on Sea Monkey but I can't see them anywhere, nor can I see them mentioned anywhere in the menu bar options.
Specifically, I want to download some videos via YT et all, but I can't see how to do this.
v_v

Re: I've added add-ons - now what?

Post by v_v »

Gummyshoes,

It would be helpful if you indicated which version of SeaMonkey you are using and which add-ons (including version numbers) you are referring to.

To see what add-ons you have installed, in the Menu at the top of the browser, click Tools---Add-Ons Manager.

Many add-ons show up in the Navigation Toolbar but not all of them. To see this toolbar, in the Menu at the top of the browser, click View---Show/Hide---Navigation Toolbar.

v_v
Gummyshoes

Post by Gummyshoes »

Sea Monkey Version = 2.53.12
Add-ons:
DownThemAll 3.0.9
Easiest YouTube Video Downloader 7.2.1
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.4
FlashGot 1.5.6.14
Silent Block 3.3.0

The Navigation and Bookmarks toolbars are already showing.
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

The latest version of DownThemAll! is 3.0.9.2
You can get it here
https://github.com/dirkf/downthemall-legacy/releases/
DownThemAll! is broken in 13
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

All installed from Add-ons for SeaMonkey?

DownThemAll! 3.0.9 works with SeaMonkey 2.40 - 2.49.*, released in 2019. Probably won't work in 2.53.12.
Easiest YouTube Video Downloader works with SeaMonkey 2.11 - *, released in 2014. Probably won't work in 2.53.12.
You probably need AdBlock Plus to use the Element Hiding Helper, but the helper was last updated in 2017.
FlashGot was last updated in 2016, and Silent Block in 2017.

None of them probably work, but may install.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Gummyshoes

Post by Gummyshoes »

WaltS48 wrote:All installed from Add-ons for SeaMonkey?
Today, from addons.thunderbird.net

So the add-ons can't be seen on the location bar if they don't work?
I have other add-ons from years ago but only one of them appears on the location bar (Dark Background and Light Text).

Is the location bar where the add-ons would be?
therube

Post by therube »

FlashGot certainly works.

Now, if it "works" on Youtube that is an entirely different story.
But as a general interface to a download manager, it works.

Is the location bar where the add-ons would be?
Check "Customize...".
(Right-click the Menu bar, Customize.)
Sometimes an icon may end up in there until you actually drag it out & put is someplace.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gummyshoes

Post by Gummyshoes »

The customize option is just how to display the icons (icons only, text only, or icons and text).

Where would the FlashGot icon be?
therube

Post by therube »

1. Customize...
2. Customize Toolbar
3. FlashGot context-menu items
4. FlashGot statusbar icon

(Come to think of it... there might be an issue with FlashGot & its' (Browser Built In) "downloader"?
That kind of comes to memory? [But then I never use that, instead, an actual download manager.])
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Gummyshoes

Post by Gummyshoes »

Perhaps we are drifting off the subject now.
Its not a problem of this or that add-on. Its where the add-ons icons are supposed to appear so that I can use them when I want to.
On other browsers, the icons for add-ons/extensions automatically get added to the menu bar, but with SM, I can't see them.
I am thinking that they are not on the menu bar because the add-ons I have added don't work (in which case, why are they offered fin the extensions section addons.thunderbird.net?).
So how do people download stuff with SM? Are they more popular/stable downloaders you would recommend?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

WaltS48 wrote:All installed from Add-ons for SeaMonkey?

DownThemAll! 3.0.9 works with SeaMonkey 2.40 - 2.49.*, released in 2019. Probably won't work in 2.53.12.
Easiest YouTube Video Downloader works with SeaMonkey 2.11 - *, released in 2014. Probably won't work in 2.53.12.
You probably need AdBlock Plus to use the Element Hiding Helper, but the helper was last updated in 2017.
FlashGot was last updated in 2016, and Silent Block in 2017.

None of them probably work, but may install.
DownThemAll works with SeaMonkey 2.53.12. The one-click setup does not work, but just clicking DownThemAll and using its download window does work. Instead of Adblock Plus, I use the legacy version of uBlock Origin.
v_v

Post by v_v »

Gummyshoes,

I just downloaded and installed Easiest YouTube Video Downloader 7.2.1 and Complete YouTube Saver 5.7.36 from " https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ ". As you indicated I cannot find the icons for them anywhere. An entry for Complete YouTube Saver appears in the Tool menu, but it seems to be an information entry and not one to work from.

So as WaltS48 said all those add-ons may install but they probably will not work in SeaMonkey 2.53.12. My guess is that this confirms your statement that "I am thinking that they are not on the menu bar because the add-ons I have added don't work."

Just so that you know there was big changeover going from the SeaMonkey 2.49.xx series to the 2.53.xx series. A lot of things that used to work, such as some of the older extensions may no longer work. This may be the case with a lot of the extensions at " https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ ", since a lot of the extension developers have not updated their SeaMonkey extensions in years, especially the ones for the pre-2.53.xx versions of the browser.

Since I have not downloaded youtube videos I cannot vouch for any methods or programs. However I did search on Google for "How to download youtube videos" and several sites recommended a method using the free program VLC. The method seems to be cumbersome and convoluted but apparently it works and it is free. But there was also the following caveat at the pcmag site,
However, it appears that VLC is only going to save your file as 1080p and not any higher, even if the original YouTube stream was available in 1440p or 2160p (aka 4K). It also won't convert video to other formats.
So you might want to do your own similar searches and maybe you will find a solution that works for you.

v_v
Gummyshoes

Post by Gummyshoes »

Thanks very much v_v.

I use Opera for most of my browsing and occasionally, Firefox (I can't get it to work on one of my iMacs (a 2011 model, with High Sierra OS) so I only use it on an iMac from 2016 which runs Monterey now (I also use Safari but its a 2nd favorite for me). I am happy with Opera apart from a couple of niggling issues. I just wanted to use a different browser, in case the downloading is better/easier, plus the privacy/VPN, etc. is better.

I'll come back to Sea Monkey in the future to see where it is and if it suits me.

Thanks for everyone's time and input.