Seamonkey 2.53.12 bookmarks not working

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bigjeff66

Seamonkey 2.53.12 bookmarks not working

Post by bigjeff66 »

I made a new profile to clean up seamonkey as I was having a few issues. I backed up my bookmarks before doing so. When I tried to restore them I go to manage bookmarks and restore back up, nothing happens. Even when I try to bookmark and new page nothing happens. All I have in the bookmarks is a 3( no title) can not delete them or do anything with bookmarks.
Thank you for helping.
therube

Re: Seamonkey 2.53.12 bookmarks not working

Post by therube »

I backed up my bookmarks
How? json or html or...?

In your original Profile, you should have multiple (backed up) versions in /bookmarkbackups/.
Are you able to successfully load any of them into your new Profile?

If the json doesn't work, if you export to html, then import that... ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
bigjeff66

Post by bigjeff66 »

I have tried both backup html and json. Nothing works. Tried importing from another pc nothing. Books marks does not work. Uninstalled seamonkey reinstalled used old profile same problem.
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

bigjeff66 wrote:I have tried both backup html and json. Nothing works. Tried importing from another pc nothing. Books marks does not work. Uninstalled seamonkey reinstalled used old profile same problem.
I'm only familiar with SM as it exists on Linux; I don't know whether this will be of any help to you, but for me, this restored all of my bookmarks and bookmark toolbars after a new installation. I simply copied these files:

bookmarks.html
places.sqlite

from the old location to the new. On Linux, these files belong in SM's main directory, located in /home/<username>/.mozilla/seamonkey/xxxxxxxx.default -- you'll have to place them in the appropriate directory for your system.

If you try this method, be sure to close SM after copying the files and then restart it.
therube

Post by therube »

(bookmarks.html is not used. bookmarks.html can be created, updated... but it is not used, directly.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

therube wrote:(bookmarks.html is not used. bookmarks.html can be created, updated... but it is not used, directly.)
Then I must have created it. And by placing it and places.sqlite in my SM directory, it restored all of my bookmarks and bookmark toolbars.
therube

Post by therube »

about:config, browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

"SeaMonkey 2.1 (and later) store their bookmarks bookmarks in places.sqlite and use JSON as the format for backups stored in the bookmarkbackups folder so, by default, bookmarks are no longer saved in HTML format. This preference allows bookmarks to be exported at shutdown to the Firefox or SeaMonkey profile folder as bookmarks.html."