Unarchiving omni.ja

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Unarchiving omni.ja

Post by Anonymosity »

Does anyone know why unarchiving omni.ja (using the Mac terminal) would now have to be done from an admin account and not a standard account with MacOS Monterey? Up until and including Sierra, I could copy omni.ja for SeaMonkey or Thunderbird from the app package and paste on the desktop then unarchive it from my standard account, but no longer. The unzip command does not require sudo to be used, so why does it need an admin?
LinuxUserSince1991

Re: Unarchiving omni.ja

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Anonymosity wrote:Does anyone know why unarchiving omni.ja (using the Mac terminal) would now have to be done from an admin account and not a standard account with MacOS Monterey? Up until and including Sierra, I could copy omni.ja for SeaMonkey or Thunderbird from the app package and paste on the desktop then unarchive it from my standard account, but no longer. The unzip command does not require sudo to be used, so why does it need an admin?
I know zip, zilch, zero about Mac, but as a *nix it should work in a pretty standard way. It doesn't make sense that a particular *file* could trigger the OS to ask for an admin user. Have you tried any other files? Did they unzip okay? What if you rename omni.ja to something else--can you unarchive it then? Please post results as that will help troubleshoot the problem.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I also tried that with palemoon.res as well as an ordinary .zip file and got the same result: "Operation not permitted".
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Anonymosity wrote:I also tried that with palemoon.res as well as an ordinary .zip file and got the same result: "Operation not permitted".
Okay, so as I thought it's a system problem, and has nothing to do with SM, per se.

Since I have no knowledge of Macs at all, I can't offer much help, other than the fact that I've been using *nix, exclusively, for 35+ years. If I saw an error like that I'd start poking around to see how my system settings for security are set. Also, if you can recall when it last worked correctly, and think back to anything you may have done or added to the system since then, you might find the culprit there. It definitely sounds like a system problem, so if my paltry 'help' doesn't help, I strongly suggest posting on a Mac forum. Someone there will likely have it fixed in minutes!
therube

Post by therube »

paste on the desktop
Sounds like it is because of "Desktop".

"macOS 10.15 added new user data protections for common user directories, like Downloads and Desktop. ...
Accessing these directories is meant to trigger a permission alert which allows the user to grant or deny the access"

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/129834
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You are right! I copied omni.ja into another directory in my account and was able to unarchive it. Thanks. That is much better.