Problem with ASUS page.

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Justinh

Problem with ASUS page.

Post by Justinh »

When I load https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/RT- ... Desk_BIOS/, I get a huge X that fills the page. Can this be fixed in SeaMonkey code to support this page?
ElTxolo

Re: problem witn ASUS page

Post by ElTxolo »

Justinh wrote:When I load https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/RT- ... Desk_BIOS/, I get a huge X that fills the page. Can this be fixed in SeaMonkey code to support this page?
  • Image I am using SeaMonkey 2.53.13 βeta 1. And if I open the page you mention, I have NO problem viewing it correctly:

full size image

Cheers !! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ElTxolo wrote:
Justinh wrote:When I load https://www.asus.com/US/supportonly/RT- ... Desk_BIOS/, I get a huge X that fills the page.
I am using SeaMonkey 2.53.13 βeta 1. And if I open the page you mention, I have NO problem viewing it correctly:
I my case I can see big X as well. I can click on it to make X disappear but website is unusable. It happens under SeaMonkey 2.53.12, 2.53.13b1 and latest 2.53.14 (Build identifier: 20220705210007). It can be old profile, modified test profile (UA) or default new profile but result is big X.

If you have some modification in userChrome.css then try new profile with default settings.
--
therube

Post by therube »

X here also.
But, if you click it, it goes away.

Nonetheless, the page then still does not display/work properly.
(Not to mention it loads like crap, so that's what I call it, a crap site.)

(Does not work in Pale Moon either.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Not to be argumentative, but this is working completely fine for me - displays, fully functional, etc...

Using Build By Bill(tm) from 20220711 (the later 64-bit Windows build that day) *with* uBlock Origin - but disabled for the ASUS site - maybe it is still doing something to "clean up" the interaction with the site?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

RDaneel wrote:Not to be argumentative, but this is working completely fine for me - displays, fully functional, etc...

Using Build By Bill(tm) from 20220711 (the later 64-bit Windows build that day) *with* uBlock Origin - but disabled for the ASUS site - maybe it is still doing something to "clean up" the interaction with the site?
Doesn't work for me. SeaMonkey 2.53.14 beta (Build identifier: 20220712103003), test profile with uBO and completely new profile without any extra extension and with default settings. The same problem like previously.
--
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

RDaneel wrote:Not to be argumentative, but this is working completely fine for me - displays, fully functional, etc ...
  • Image NO problem at all, using the final version of SeaMonkey 2.53.13 (> 20220704103305)

Cheers !! 8-)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ElTxolo wrote:NO problem at all[/url], using the final version of SeaMonkey 2.53.13 (> 20220704103305)
It doesn't work. And yes it works. How is it possible? Well, when I opened that website I was not working correct but I saw some bar/banner at the top:

It was asking me to stay here it go to my localization (Poland). When I'll "stay" then website doesn't work. I can click blue button but it just reloads. But when I manually changed URL to my local place:
https://www.asus.com/pl/supportonly/RT- ... Desk_BIOS/
... then website started to work.

ElTxolo, does PL version works correct for you?

EDIT: Corrected quote.
Last edited by TPR75 on July 13th, 2022, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

TPR75 wrote: [....]
ElTxolo, does PL version works correct for you?
  • Yep, NO problem at all. Even with the Polish page. :)

full screen

PD.- In your previous message, you have attributed to me a quote, which is certainly NOT from my authorship.

Cheers !! Image
Last edited by ElTxolo on July 13th, 2022, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

~
therube

Post by therube »

It doesn't work. And yes it works. How is it possible?
It appears it has to do with "cookies".
And more specifically your acceptance of cookies from Asus.

If that acceptance is not set - via a cookie no less ;-), then you will get an X and the page will not display/interact correctly.

Once the cookie is set, the pages will load correctly.

And it seems that on a direct link to (particular ?) pages (like the link in the first post), that page does not generate a cookie prompt, & if you hadn't visited Asus before, no cookie gives you an X.

The main Asus page, https://www.asus.com/, does check if a cookie acceptance has been set, & once set, you won't get the X.

If you clear cookies, or if you were to start in a new, clean Profile, & visited the link in the first post, you should see the X.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

therube wrote:
TPR75 wrote:It doesn't work. And yes it works. How is it possible?
It appears it has to do with "cookies".
Nope. It's not about cookies. Old profiles have cookies accepted for "asus.com". New profile should display it correct at least at second visit. PL website is not "domain" so cookies are the same.
--
therube

Post by therube »

Something with cookies, best I can tell.

"isReadCookiePolicyDNT", in particular.

Note that you may have more then one of those; asus.com & www. asus.com.
And it seems that it is the www. asus.com variety that matters.

Create a new Profile
Go to, https://www.asus.com

See if you get an X

Click the X & the page will display, but it won't be "right".
Note your cookies.
www. asus.com/isReadCookiePolicyDNT will not be there

Click a link to another page.
If the page generates a "cookies" prompt, answer that prompt.
Note your cookies.
www. asus.com/isReadCookiePolicyDNT should be there

At that point, you shouldn't see any more X's (unless the cookie is deleted/expires...).

(Or simply delete that particular cookie; www. asus.com/isReadCookiePolicyDNT, & see if on page refresh you don't get an X.)

(I "split" the www. so as to not generate hyperlinks.)

Now, whether the cookie should be "asus.com" or "www. asus.com" (or both) is a different matter.

FF looks to handle things a bit differently, where the page itself is "blanked out" & you can't even interact until you accept the cookie prompt.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

therube wrote: It appears it has to do with "cookies".

If that acceptance is not set - via a cookie no less ;-), then you will get an X and the page will not display/interact correctly.

Once the cookie is set, the pages will load correctly.

And it seems that on a direct link to (particular ?) pages (like the link in the first post), that page does not generate a cookie prompt, & if you hadn't visited Asus before, no cookie gives you an X.
[....]
  • Image I don't think cookies have anything to do with it. Right now, I'm using SeaMonkey Private Browsing. So, no cookies at all.

And the damn page, is still loading correctly:

full screen

full screen

Cheers !! Image

~
4td8s

Re: Problem with ASUS page.

Post by 4td8s »

@Justinh, TPR75 & therube - just try the ASUS site at a later time or another day
or clear both the web browser cache, cookies AND dns cache AND visit the Asus site at a different time or day (sometimes the folks at asus do site maintenance from time to time, which can make the asus site act weird sometimes)

I'm with ElTxolo & RDaneel on this one as the Asus site works fine without the big "X" problem on my end lately in both Seamonkey & Palemoon
Justinh

Re: Problem with ASUS page.

Post by Justinh »

I've seen scaling issues on other sites, and therube showed that that is the issue here. So I poked the X and got to the page.