SM version 2.53.13 crashes upon start up

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Stereodoc

Re: SM version 2.53.13 crashes upon start up

Post by Stereodoc »

sorry for the late reply.

I know where you are going with this and I will say you're most likely right, I need new hardware. The PC is an old Dell Dimension E510,probably 13 years old. According to Dell Win 7 was not supported by this hardware or vice versa. Anyway, I got it to work but did have some hoops to go through to make it work years ago so most likely 2.53.13 does not like the hardware. That's fine. I can accept that since I have wanted to replace the hardware. CPU is a Pentium D and if I recall correctly it has 4GB of RAM.

4td8s wrote:
frg wrote:Fully patched with SP1 and latest official fixes which should include SHA-2 support?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... f9aa5f8339

Older VS2015 runtime installed by chance? SeaMonkey 2.53.13 has the latest VS2019 runtime in and this might break if the system is not up to date I think. The runtime files no longer work on XP e.g.

I switched 2.53.12 already to SHA-2 so sonder if it is the runtime. My 7 x86 vm works fine but is up to date with ESU patches.

FRG
SHA2 updates for Win7 SP1 should include both KB4490628 & KB4474419, frg.
KB4474419 alone may not be enough and latest ESU W7 patches won't install without KB4490628 update installed first

many apps (including latest Malwarebytes app) these days are SHA2 only signed and require all the SHA2 patches for Win7
Stereodoc wrote:OK. rereading my earlier post, I neglected to mention that the PC is a 32bit PC running 32bit Win7 Pro and the 32bit version of SM.

So trying again, I downloaded 2.53.13 and installed it. It crashed and the Crash Reporter popped up after it tried to restart. Next I tried in safe mode and got the same thing.

I am unable to start SM to create a new profile and just the same can't get to any of the other profiles. So I'm back to 2.53.12 for the time being.
what kind of computer do you have, Stereodoc?
list specs of your computer (including CPU/{listed as "central processor"}, amount of RAM) after running a portable version of HWiNFO

AND be sure that your computer meets ALL the system requirements for Seamonkey, including the CPU/processor and that the CPU has SSE2:
Minimum Hardware
SeaMonkey on Windows needs a CPU supporting the SSE2 instruction set.

Pentium 4 1.5GHz (Recommended: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz or greater)
1 GB RAM
500 MB of free hard drive space
old processors like AMD Athlon XP don't qualify because that one does not have SSE2
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I cured my issue by ditching windows 7 with a new PC with Windows 10.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

That's great, good to hear it.

It has often been said better to wait until others have used it for a while, and all the bugs have been worked out, etc.

There is, however, a fine line between that, and waiting til the said new software (ie Windows 10) is also obsolete again. :)

Windows 11, best to wait a bit longer.