SeaMonkey half-freezes often

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
BenoitRen

Re: SeaMonkey half-freezes often

Post by BenoitRen »

rainyd wrote:With all respect but 2 GB is a very low amount of RAM nowadays, I can hardly imagine some "magical" fix for you.
That depends on how the computer is used. Can we please focus on the problem?
therube wrote:And what were you running prior, .12 or something (much?) older?
SeaMonkey 2.53.12
Rob_S wrote:Benoit, try using task manger to check ram useage when this occurs.

You might find background programs or seamonkey itself using big amounts of RAM, so if you are at a high percent, what happens if you shut down and restart seamonkey?
When this happens, SeaMonkey is using between 200 and 400 MB of RAM. If I close and re-open SeaMonkey, the problem disappears for a bit after I restore the session.
frg wrote:Personally I am thinking of discontinuing all x86 versions and would have happened already if it was my decision alone. Not worth it any longer.
I'm glad they're still around, or I wouldn't be able to use SeaMonkey on that computer. The more computers that SeaMonkey can run on, the better.
TPR75 wrote:Too much websites are "bloated" with ads and 3rd-party "services". Use some blocker like uBlock Origin
I already do.
TPR75 wrote:Don't open many tabs/windows. By "many" I don't mean hundreds. For your older PC it can be several or dozen. It worked before? Sure it was. But websites are updated too.
You must have missed the part where I said that it works fine using the older version of SeaMonkey. Hence it seems to be a bug.
frg

Post by frg »

> You must have missed the part where I said that it works fine using the older version of SeaMonkey. Hence it seems to be a bug.

2.53.13 has lots of updates compared to 2.53.12 including a significant update of the internal libangle library. It might simply be triggered by more stuff loading correctly or later code needing more ram. I will probably switch the next version over to a later clang compiler. Might help or not. You can try to latest 2.53.14b1 pre which was done using a later clang.

As for the x86 it is just a matter of resource allocation. We don't have enough of them and almost all people run x64 these days.

There are also bugs like these where probably old drivers affect stability:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1780322

No one does x86 drivers any longer.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BenoitRen wrote: Can we please focus on the problem?
You still using a 32bit PC in 2022, Benny?

I recall as recently as 2009 that you were advocating for and using Win95, so I suppose you've made some progress since, even if only by using Windows 7 now.

Looks like you're going to be using SM 2.53.12 on that OS from now on, don't it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I see you have a selective memory, Frank Lion.

Back in 2009 I was using two PCs, running Windows 95 and Windows XP. The Windows XP box broke since, while my Windows 95 box keeps chugging along. The former got replaced by a Windows 7 box.

It wasn't my choice to use Windows 7 32-bit as that's what the PC came with. It was gifted to me by an ex-colleague, and I kept it as a back-up. I'm using it now because the Windows 7 box I was using broke.

At any rate, if you're not going to be helpful, please don't post.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

BenoitRen wrote:At any rate, if you're not going to be helpful, please don't post.
Says the relentlessly 'unhelpful' guy from the ol' MozillaZine Tech forum.

But, how can anyone be helpful on this Support thread? You don't use antivirus and use uBlock and that pretty well only leaves SM's safebrowsing or the OS defragging, both of which I'm sure you've checked.

After that, it's a bug in your OS or a bug in the 32bit (x86) version of SM 2.53.13 (which frg has already made clear is 'low priority', due to near zero SM devs around these days.)

tl;dr?
This Support thread is not going to be helpful to you, Benny, go file a bug on it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

The safebrowsing fetches are local only. The only data which is transmitted are the lists themselves and I have yet to see a big or any network delay or freeze here lately.

I remember that I put in some backports which added to the stack size. Needed for some complex websites. When I did them I thought about x86 but decided I rather have a fully working x64. Given that no x86 regressions were attached to the mozilla bugs doesn't mean the memory footprint stays the same.

In any case check the machine spec. If it is a Core2Duo or later probably could be updated to 4 GB or more. If it is an earlier one or early AMD Bulldozer you have other problems anyway :) The Windows 7 x86 key can be used for the x64 version and an additional 2 GB or more of used ancient ram cost next to nothing these days.

FRG
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Rob_S wrote:So you've replaced almost everything except seamonkey and your internet server. Have you tried a speed-test on your network?

Given that others have no issues with seamonkey, you should take your computer to some other high-speed internet source, and see what happens.
No internet speed issues. I can stream forever without issue. I also use Brave browser and these cycling freezes when scrolling don't occur with the Brave browser or MS Edge.

And to BenoitRen, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I thought we were having similar issues. I will cease posting on my issue.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I'm trying the first beta of SeaMonkey 2.53.14 (x86) on a newer machine and the entire UI is very glitchy, disappearing into white and black rectangles. Turning off hardware acceleration seems to help.

It's easy to say that this is a bug with x86 drivers, but it's probably a major regression in libangle. Old working drivers don't suddenly become buggy.
frg

Post by frg »

AMD drivers for pre HD7770 cards are cr*p on Windows 7. Same for Nvidia 3.xx.xx drivers which are the latest for Windows x86. My old T61 with an ancient Intel driver is working better and I really dislike Intel graphics. Angle is at ESR91 level plus a few fixes now and working for me on a few old laptops. Just not with the above drivers and cards. Usually black and white rectangles, redraw problems when playing media after a short time and then it goes downhill and eventually crashes. Disabling hardware acceleration helps. Check if advanced layers is enabled and disable it. Next version will enable omtp and this will put even more strain on the drivers.
Used gfx card prices did come down. I picked up a RTX2060 Super for my Windows box and it is great. And a RX480 for the Windows Linux combo. Cr*p for Windows Server but works there with the Windows 7 driver. My travel laptop has a HD 4000 and also more or less ok. For Windows I recommend a Pascal or later card. For Linux AMD Rx4xx or later. The R9 and HD7770 and up are ok but a bit power hungry.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I don't see an about:config preference to disable advanced layers. Is it something I need to create?

Why are you recommending Pascal, an Nvidia card, when you just said that their Windows 7 drivers suck?

I'm currently using Intel integrated graphics, which are okay for my needs, so I don't need something with much power.
frg

Post by frg »

Try layers.omtp.enabled and layers.mlgpu.enabled

If you see "Compositing Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers)" in about:support it is on. Same for "Off Main Thread Painting Enabled true". Thought it was off in 2.53.14 but already on.

> Why are you recommending Pascal, an Nvidia card, when you just said that their Windows 7 drivers s*ck?

Because the x64 Windows 7 drivers are very stable and the 4xx branch is still updated for security there too at least till the end of the year. The x86 drivers are no good but this is 2022 and not 2007. Even my old T61 Thinkpad from 2008 is fine with x64 and 4GB if I don't stress it too much with media playback. If MS extends the ESU updates support might be even longer but won't count in it. And the cards work on everything from Windows 7 to 11. AMD basically only has 10 and 11 drivers left and they are a bloated pig with social media stuff and even a bundled web browser based on qt. The less you say about Intel the better: 1GB for a recent graphics driver and everything below gen 9 discontinued. Good work... On Linux it is different. Nvidia and Linux s*cks unless you run the binary only drivers.

I am not an Nvidia fan but AMD and Intel are way worse when it comes to Windows drivers.

FRG