SeaMonkey half-freezes often

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
BenoitRen

SeaMonkey half-freezes often

Post by BenoitRen »

Ever since I've installed SeaMonkey 2.53.13, my browsing session has often half-frozen.

What I mean is that the page itself seems to be frozen, as if waiting for something, but the UI still responds to the mouse, making it change its cursor. When I try to change tabs, the title bar changes, but nothing else happens. If I try to close SeaMonkey, sometimes it works, sometimes it's really stuck and I need to kill the process.

While this is happening, CPU usage goes up, and I see SeaMonkey using up to 60%. Memory-wise, it seems to continually allocate and free about 20 MB.

I've tried disabling all my extensions, and tried a new profile. The problem remains. So, given that it started when I installed the new version, I installed the previous version alongside the current one. The problem has disappeared.

There doesn't seem to be any logic to when this happens. Anyone have an idea so I could submit a useful bug report?

This is on a Windows 7 (32-bit) computer with 2 GB of RAM. There is no antivirus.
Peter Creasey

Re: SeaMonkey half-freezes often

Post by Peter Creasey »

These reports on SM 2.53.12 are disturbing. Guess I better wait a while longer before upgrading.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

BenoitRen wrote: This is on a Windows 7 (32-bit) computer with 2 GB of RAM. There is no antivirus.
With all respect but 2 GB is a very low amount of RAM nowadays, I can hardly imagine some "magical" fix for you.

Btw, you can always try a 2.53 beta version from: http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

rainyd wrote:
BenoitRen wrote: This is on a Windows 7 (32-bit) computer with 2 GB of RAM. There is no antivirus.
With all respect but 2 GB is a very low amount of RAM nowadays, I can hardly imagine some "magical" fix for you.

Btw, you can always try a 2.53 beta version from: http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
but OP is NOT using a 64bit computer and the MAX amount of RAM on his PC is 2Gb and running a 32bit OS
can't put more than 2 gigs of RAM if the motherboard on the OP's computer is not equipped to handle more than 2Gb
therube

Post by therube »

But he's got both 32 & 64-bit versions there.

Ever since I've installed SeaMonkey 2.53.13
And what were you running prior, .12 or something (much?) older?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Benoit, try using task manger to check ram useage when this occurs.

You might find background programs or seamonkey itself using big amounts of RAM, so if you are at a high percent, what happens if you shut down and restart seamonkey?

Even with 8gb ram and the 32 bit version, I find myself frequently restarting SM to prevent ram useage building up.

By the way, a program called wisecare 365 has a little button onscreen that cleans you ram without closing anything, along with all kinds of other disk startup and registry management. Seems effective for me, and only uses 3.4mb for itself.
therube

Post by therube »

[programname] ... cleans you ram
In general, & much like "minimize memory" (in about:memory), "snake-oil" (IMO).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

2GB is the bare minimum for Windows. The halfway usable minimum is 4GB. Just by browsing amazon or ebay and or playing a few media files I can get a ram footprint of about 3GB easy.
Websites are bloated these days. The latest versions support more and more features and this shows. There might be the occasional bug or error occuring here but overall you end up with low ram and swapping to disk. Personally I am thinking of discontinuing all x86 versions and would have happened already if it was my decision alone. Not worth it any longer.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

BenoitRen wrote:Ever since I've installed SeaMonkey 2.53.13, my browsing session has often half-frozen.
[...]
While this is happening, CPU usage goes up, and I see SeaMonkey using up to 60%. Memory-wise, it seems to continually allocate and free about 20 MB.
[...]
This is on a Windows 7 (32-bit) computer with 2 GB of RAM. There is no antivirus.
Well, with such limited resources just make sure your RAM is not overused by SeaMonkey. How? Check settings if "cache" is stored on disk (HDD/SSD) not in RAM:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14894004

Too much websites are "bloated" with ads and 3rd-party "services". Use some blocker like uBlock Origin:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... /releases/

Don't open many tabs/windows. By "many" I don't mean hundreds. For your older PC it can be several or dozen. It worked before? Sure it was. But websites are updated too. With more heavy data content. With media (video) which demands modern CPUs to decode them. Older can "freez" while processing such amount or just such video data. World is going further and if we stop for a while then we're staying back. It's sad but that's how it works. Oh! I'm using right now not so new CPU (i5-4670K) and I know that within 2-3 years it will be badly obsolete.
Last edited by TPR75 on July 25th, 2022, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

4td8s wrote: but OP is NOT using a 64bit computer and the MAX amount of RAM on his PC is 2Gb and running a 32bit OS
can't put more than 2 gigs of RAM if the motherboard on the OP's computer is not equipped to handle more than 2Gb
I have no knowledge about maximum supported amount of RAM on his computer - if it is possible upgrade to 4GB he should do it.

Btw, about 10-11 years ago I had a very unpleasant experience of testing Acer netbook equipped with Intel Atom, 2GB of RAM, slow HDD and Windows 7 Starter.
Since then, programs including of course browsers have become only heavier in terms of CPU/RAM usage, websites are more bloated too.
Effectively, you need to have a laptop/desktop with more RAM and stronger CPU to just use Internet.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I have a similar problem with temporary freezing but it spans versions prior to 2.53.12. Seems like every 10 seconds or so my mouse freezes and can't scroll for a few seconds. Then it unfreezes and all is good for another 10 or so seconds. Not all websites do this. My local online newspaper is pretty consistent. Maybe someone can take a visit here: http://www.theday.com and see if they experience it. Might take a few minutes to manifest itself. Gets worse with a slower PC.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, I bit, I browsed and read there for about 15 minutes with no noticeable side effects or slowdowns on that site.

6 yr old HP Envy 14" laptop windows 10 8gb ram upgraded to SSD, using SM 2.53.14 b1pre

I do still have issues and failures on lots of sites that use scripting.
iFix

Post by iFix »

Stereodoc wrote: Maybe someone can take a visit here: http://www.theday.com and see if they experience it. Might take a few minutes to manifest itself. Gets worse with a slower PC.
Great little website/ paper, much better than the murdoch fare here in Australia, although we do have the independents (ABC/ SBS publicly funded :) ).

No difficulty browsing theday.com until the paywall manifested. :?
iFix
"the farmer in the great heartland, corporate greed and chemicals are killin' the land" {Neil Young - greendale 2003}
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

thanks for taking a look. So I just bought just an average run of the mill PC to replace a win7 box and fixed a problem in another thread regarding ver 2.53.13 not starting up but I still get this odd short cycling freeze up when scrolling on certain websites. SM is the only thing I've installed since unpacking this machine. I was just on the HowToGeek website, had a aggravating time there. Not sure what's up but if I close SM and revisit it is good for several minutes. when the SM logo in the upper right corner is animating it will stop every 8 seconds for about 2 or 3 seconds then resume which coincides with the scrolling difficulties. My other win10 boxes with SM do that too depending on the websites. And it is not specific to 2.53.13 either. I've had this strangeness with earlier versions of SM too. With faster PCs it is less of an issue.

This newer PC is a Win10 pro 64bit machine with 16GB RAM with a 512GB SSD.
Running SM 2.53.13 64bit
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So you've replaced almost everything except seamonkey and your internet server. Have you tried a speed-test on your network?

Given that others have no issues with seamonkey, you should take your computer to some other high-speed internet source, and see what happens.