Very odd mail problem

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LinuxUserSince1991

Very odd mail problem

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

This one is so weird, I really don't expect much help, especially since I can't include the part of the message causing the problem. Let me explain...

Yesterday, I forwarded to myself a message I'd received; this was after signing up on a site--I always forward the initial 'welcome' message to myself, and a message filter directs this type of mail to my 'accounts' folder. So I forwarded it. Nothing. I checked that it had been sent; it was. I waited. Nothing. I tried again, repeating the whole process. Nothing. I waited. Nothing.

Then I simply sent myself a message with all the exact same sender, recipient and subject info, but hand-typed the info I wanted in the body. It came immediately. Okay, there's something weird about forwarding the original. I went to bed.

This morning, NONE of my tries from yesterday ever arrived, but they all show as sent. Repeated what I did yesterday, got the same result: nothing. Tried changing--one at a time--the sender and recipient. Success! Partially. When I left the recipient as my 'real' e-mail address, the Earthlink account I've had for 30 years, none ever arrived, but changing it to an address at my own domain it did. Okay, it's an Earthlink problem....?

Then I tried forwarding it with my usual sender/recipient but DELETING all of the forwarded message's actual message, IOW the only part of it that remained in the forwarded mail was its date, sender, recipient, and subject info at the top of the body. Arrived immediately.

Okay, there's something in the BODY of the message that causing it not to arrive. It *sends* but doesn't *arrive* to my real account. I'm in the experimenting stage right now to see if deleting certain chunks of its message will solve the problem. I eliminated the most likely culprit, a link to click to verify my account, but that wasn't it.

Sorry for the long-winded message but it all needed to be said. I am *not* receiving any kind of error message from Earthlink, I am *not* receiving the message bounced back as undeliverable or anything, it just shows up as sent but never arrives. There's definitely something in the body of the message that's the problem--but what on earth kind of problem is this?! I've never come up against this before, and I've been using SM and my Earthlink address FOREVER.

ETA: I totally forgot something important--I tried forwarding the message as an attachment, to my real address, and it arrived immediately.
Peter Creasey

Re: Very odd mail problem

Post by Peter Creasey »

Surely you have checked your spam folder.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Peter Creasey wrote:Surely you have checked your spam folder.
Of course I did--even though it would be UNBELIEVABLE that mail *from* and *to* my 30-year-old Earthlink address, that SM has known FOREVER, would suddenly be routed as spam! :shock:
LinuxUserSince1991

Apparently, no one else has this issue or has any ideas on how to fix it, but I thought I'd update it with a new tidbit.

As I added to my OP, if I forward the mail as an attachment to myself, it's immediately delivered, however the same mail forwarded to myself inline *never* arrives. Here's the weird thing: inline forwards *do* arrive when they're sent to other people! IOW, the only time it fails is when it's coming from and going to my [same] address. SMH...