Where did my browsing history go?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Wish You Were Here

Where did my browsing history go?

Post by Wish You Were Here »

Pretty sure it was there yesterday, but nothing today further back than 'Today'. I didn't knowing delete it.

Any chance it can be recovered?
Rob_S

Re: Where did my browsing history go?

Post by Rob_S »

I believe it is contained in a file named places.sqlite in your profile folder. mine is about 25,000 kb

Profile is usually located at C:\Users\..username..\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\_______.default

Some computer cleaners delete all of your browsing history as part of their cleanup and privacy settings

Have you by chance recently backed up your profile someplace? If so, copy said file back in from there.

I don't believe there are any automatic backups of this information.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Don't know if it would help but there are a couple free UNERASE programs from the web.
Glary disk utilities
Recuva
I have used Recuva for years but I don't recall if it restores the proper file names.
Might be worth a try.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

When there is a problem updating and saving the "places.sqlite" file in the Profile at the end of a FF/SM session, the previous version is saved with the name "places.sqlite.corrupt", and a brand-new "places.sqlite" file is created -- so, in the next session, it will only have that day's history.

The 'corrupt' file may still be usable to get your data back, so close SM/FF, then go to the Profile and rename the current one as "places.sqlite.bak"; make a copy of the corrupt one, renaming it as "places.sqlite", and then try to re-open FF/SM (with fingers crossed): It may be accepted (or mended) now, and you should have its contens back.
Wish You Were Here

^^^ Ahhh, that file is there dated 8/26 which is probably when this happened ... so I'll give it a shot for next restart.
Wish You Were Here

That worked .. this time.

Course now I don't have the lest two or three day's history, but that's no issue.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

• Code: Select all

general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:103.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/103.0 Lightning/5.4

Damn it, but what the hell is this clowning around? Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Wish You Were Here

^^^ Trying different things to get sites to work.

Got a few of them back, but not all.

Latest flavors of SM won't support some of the tools I reply on.
Wish You Were Here

Well, it happened again and I still don't know why. I'll try restoring it again and maybe open and close SM a couple of times without doing any browsing to see what happens.