Those cool addons - adblockplus, noscript - where are they?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dezo

Those cool addons - adblockplus, noscript - where are they?

Post by dezo »

Hello,
I've been using Seamonkey since... hmmm, probably Netscape Navigator... and I have a very old profile I always copy.
Recently I bought a new laptop and tried to create a new profile. But when I wanted to install adblockplus, noscript, useragent switcher - I couldn't find any of those. Are they gone?

So I copied my old profile with those old cool addons and I'm a happy SM user again. And I hope my profile will never break.
Anonymosity

Re: Those cool addons - adblockplus, noscript - where are th

Post by Anonymosity »

You could find those extension .xpi files in the profile in the extensions subdirectory. The troubleshooting information from the Help menu can help you to identify them. Copy the .xpi files and then rename them to a recognizable form and save them as backups.
frg

Post by frg »

Mozilla basically destroyed the old add-on eco system with Fx 57. We didnÄt switch to web extensions yet. Not suited for the suite and code in the mozilla tree baiscally coded for Firefox only. Links to some of the still current extensions are in the release notes and some others in the status meeting notes under Extensions Tracking https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings

Adblock Plus is dead. Switch to Ublock Origin Classic/Legacy. Noscript 5.19 is still available from noscript.net. Soem others are on addons.thunderbird.net. Not sure how long but we will see.

FRG
dezo

Post by dezo »

OK, so the way forward is to keep the xpis in the vault somewhere and as soon as SM switches to web extensions then never ever upgrade... What a sad future!
frg

Post by frg »

Even if/when we start supporting web extensions does not mean the classic add-ons need to go. This is only something mozilla did. If you compile a Firefox from our codebase you see that both formats can co-exist.

And with manifest v3 web extensions get crippled further. Mozilla still wants to supports some of the older mv2 stuff but I suspect the world will leave them in the rear mirror here shortly.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The problem with SeaMonkey trying to download any .xpi file from github is that the assets on the release pages (including the link to the .xpi file) are hidden and the list does not open unless Palefill is installed. Palefill itself is also on github, so you have to download it using another browser. I found that chromium browsers can do that. Just right-click the link and choose Save. Install manually.
dezo

Post by dezo »

So I've downloaded NoScript 5.1.9 and Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.4.
Now I aim at User Agent Switcher (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... /versions/) but SM tells me that it cannot be installed because it is incompatible with SM 2.53.14.
This must be some kind of max version supported in the xpi, right? Any idea where it is so I can edit it?
dezo

Post by dezo »

And addons extracted from my profile are rejected because "they apper to be corrupt". Any hints with that? Thanks
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dezo wrote:... but SM tells me that it cannot be installed because it is incompatible with SM 2.53.14.
dezo wrote:And addons extracted from my profile are rejected because "they appear to be corrupt".
Run them through the Converter -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13564481

Any extension that gives a 'No install rdf' warning through the Converter will be a web extension version that does not work in SM anyway. So, just find an earlier version (suitable, roughly, for Firefox 58 or before) instead.

There are other ways of editing the install max version yourself and also how to check if a version is a web extension version or not, but as you're new to this, then the Converter is the way to go.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dezo

Post by dezo »

Thanks, it did help!
The only thing which does not work is Element Hiding Helper for Adblockplus (does not show "Select element to hide") but that's a minor.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Anonymosity wrote:The problem with SeaMonkey trying to download any .xpi file from github is that the assets on the release pages (including the link to the .xpi file) are hidden and the list does not open unless Palefill is installed. Palefill itself is also on github, so you have to download it using another browser. I found that chromium browsers can do that. Just right-click the link and choose Save. Install manually.
not exactly, Anonymosity

for Seamonkey, you need Polyfill from here, not Palefill
Palefill addon is for Palemoon browsers only and will not install on SM

and yes, Palemoon also has the github site problem and requires Palefill for PM
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

4td8s wrote: Palefill addon is for Palemoon browsers only and will not install on SM
not exactly, 4td8s

..in a way 'you are talking out of your backside' not exactly type way.

Try looking in the install.rdf for that extension and there is, amongst the rest -

Code: Select all

<!-- SeaMonkey -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>2.53.4</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>2.53.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
https://seamonkey.boards.net/thread/45/ ... -extension

Btw
github-wc-polyfill doesn't seem to be working on 'Assets' and other various parts of github these days. Which is odd, as that's the one and only website it's supposed to work on.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am using Palefill with both SeaMonkey and White Star (Pale Moon for Mac) and it is fine. I can see the github release assets.
luk3Z

Post by luk3Z »

frg wrote:(...)

Adblock Plus is dead. (...)

FRG
Nah. It is not dead. I'm using Adblock Plus 2.9.1 in SM 2.53.13, K-Meleon 76 RC1, K-Meleon 76.2.1.
Adblock Plus 2.8.2 in FireFox 47.0.2. Moreover ABPrime 3.1.7770 (Adblock Plus clone) in BNavigator 0.9.7944a1 (by Roytam1 build 20211217), ABPrime 1.0.7 in Basilisk 2020.11.25 and in PaleMoon 31.1.1.
SpyBlock 2.6.9 (Adblock Plus clone) in GNU IceCat 38.8.
Adblock Plus or ABPrime probably also work in the other browsers by Roytam1 for Windows XP like New Moon, Serpent, IceApe etc. Only in LibreWolf there is a problem to add Adblock Plus or ABPrime but there is uBlock Origin working there.
SM 2.53.x + Iceape-UXP/2.49.4 build by Roytam1 (for Windows 2k/XP & later rv:52.0) + BNavigator/0.9.8298a1
dezo

Post by dezo »

The bad thing is that it's not downloadable from anywhere...