SEAMONKEY and APPLE VENTURA

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wwe

Re: SEAMONKEY and APPLE VENTURA

Post by wwe »

Hi

Thanks for trying to help.

What I did is speak yo APPLE many times and we decided to downgrade my Mac Studio to Monterey the last operating system. It of course took hours but around 7 PM tonight I was downgraded but I still couldn't open SM. I am now reinstalling MONTEREY as the last Apple person I spoke to suggested and am hoping this will fix the problem. It's going to take a lot of hours to backup so I don't expect to finalize until tomorrow!!

But if anyone has any thoughts in the meantime I'd love to hear them. I'd love to update to VENTURA one day and hopefully someone will fix the issue with it and SM.

Thanks.
lbeliak

Post by lbeliak »

1. Did not had problems with "ANY" previous version prior to 13.0
2. The latest nightly 26-Oct-2022 00:12
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/n ... US.mac.dmg
does not resolve problem
therube

Post by therube »

You'll want to test with files from WG9s, here, WG9s SeaMonkey 2.53 Builds.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wwe

Post by wwe »

Just thought I would give an update regarding my problems when I downloaded VENTURA on Monday!!

I decided to try and downgrade to MONTEREY as I have mentioned before but at first it didn't work. I then called APPLE (for the 10the time I think) and I had to erase everything again and then downloaded MONTEREY again (actually it was a newer update!) and FINALLY at 2 AM this morning I am back to MONTEREY and can open SEA MONKEY and other apps / programs I was having problems opening with VENTURA! What a nightmare this has been. I probably have been on the phone with APPLE 6-8 hours a day since Monday!! Of course I have now learned a lesson which is NOT to download any new Apple operating system for a few months. I've never had any problems doing this since I got my first Mac in 1987 but somehow VENTURA causes problems and I know a few other people who have had issues with it also.

Let me just add that one thing MAY HAVE caused the problem and that is NORTON 3260. One of the people at Apple I spoke to yesterday told me to trash it because Norton could be blocking apps / programs so I did trash it before downloading MONTEREY for the second time. I'm not saying that Norton could have been the cause of this nightmare but if anyone is reading this keep this in mind.

Thanks.
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

wwe wrote:FINALLY at 2 AM this morning I am back to MONTEREY and can open SEA MONKEY and other apps / programs I was having problems opening with VENTURA!
Sorry you had to go through this. But if there's a silver lining, I certainly appreciated a reminder of why I bailed on Apple a few years ago
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

And, meanwhile, I'm wondering if something like this could happen with a Windows update!?!

Any thoughts?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

therube WG9s also uploads them to the nightly directory since a few months. The build won't help.

I will take a look over the weekend but first finalize the 2.53.15 beta.

Brian fixed this for Pale Moon but don't think it will help either:
https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... 582455c5ac
wwe

Post by wwe »

kjojo wrote:
wwe wrote:FINALLY at 2 AM this morning I am back to MONTEREY and can open SEA MONKEY and other apps / programs I was having problems opening with VENTURA!
Sorry you had to go through this. But if there's a silver lining, I certainly appreciated a reminder of why I bailed on Apple a few years ago

Thanks. Me too of course!! As I think I mentioned I have never ever had any problems like this with Apple in the 35 years I have been with them so I never even thought that something like this would happen. If I had compatibility issues with their newest operating system updates in the past I would have been a little cautious but the thing is I never have and with every upgrade SEAMONKEY always worked fine! I am hoping that the SM team or ?? can figure out how I can update to VENTURA and use SM but until that happens I'm sticking with MONTEREY. I mean the issue could have been simply having NORTON 360 on my Mac but honestly I;'m not about yo download VENTURA and find out right now as I have spent Monday Tuesday and Wednesday doing nothing but talking to Apple and even going to the local Apple store here in Sarasota Florida!!
davidcawsey

Post by davidcawsey »

Me too! No such problem before, so I didn't hesitate to upgrade to Ventura. I don't have Norton, so it's not that. I haven't yet had problems with anything else. I hope it can be sorted very soon - I'm not going back to Monterey.
wwe

Post by wwe »

davidcawsey wrote:Me too! No such problem before, so I didn't hesitate to upgrade to Ventura. I don't have Norton, so it's not that. I haven't yet had problems with anything else. I hope it can be sorted very soon - I'm not going back to Monterey.

Thanks for letting me know about NORTON.

So you've had the same problem trying to open SEAMONKEY?
davidcawsey

Post by davidcawsey »

Just the same. And it's now surfaced in 'Apple Community' here - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254326514
zenon1

Post by zenon1 »

Hello,

That would be nice if Seamonkey could run on Mac Ventura. Are-there any news about it ?
lbeliak

Post by lbeliak »

Latest 31 Oct Nightly still crashing:
File seamonkey-2.53.16b1pre.en-US.mac.dmg 50M 31-Oct-2022 00:08
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

wwe wrote:As I think I mentioned I have never ever had any problems like this with Apple in the 35 years I have been with them so I never even thought that something like this would happen.
You were probably due!
Personally, classic to OSX was problematic, PPC to Intel was also problematic. So when Intel to M1 was announced, I figured I'd quit before I got fired, so to speak.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

A tech guru speculates that "no one got the executable validated and signed, so macOS won't run the program".

Sounds like possibly a simple problem.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete