Seamonkey does not work correctly(Mac Catalina)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
quartersaw

Seamonkey does not work correctly(Mac Catalina)

Post by quartersaw »

I was a Netscape user, since 1995, and I always liked the interface, and followed it, when it became Seamonkey.
I constantly have 'spinning beach ball' freezes, and 'Stop Script' issues, that I have to force quit, out of.
Since I have the same symptoms, with 3 different (Mac) computers, I believe that it is a Java issue(??) Since Mac Seamonkey apparently does not have Java, I was wondering what the workaround is for these issues.
Previous Mac OS's have burdened me, with the very same issues.
Thank you in advance, for any suggestions!
therube

Re: Seamonkey does not work correctly(Mac Catalina)

Post by therube »

(SeaMonkey) CPU & RAM usage when this happens?

More generally, some sites (like the ones you have mentioned) simply may not work well with SeaMonkey, so you may need to use something else.

PS: "Java" is not the issue. JavaScript is what is being used. There are ways to limit JS (like with an ad blocker, uBlock Origin), but in general JS is needed.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
James

Post by James »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Javascript_is_not_Java

If only they kept the original name of LiveScript and not go with JavaScript to minimize confusion.
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

I do run an Ad blocker. I also run a program called 'Little Snitch', which blocks incoming Ads. I can disable the 'snitch' app, with a mouse click, but that doesn't make any difference.
Should I try disabling the Ad blocker?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Should I try disabling the Ad blocker?
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

Thanks! I will give this a try. I was unaware of 'Safe Mode', for Seamonkey!
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

It pretty much has the same behaviors, except it runs slower. I get an 'Unresponsive Script' error, on Twitter.
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

I have the same issues. I'm setting up a new pc and trying not to use old data to see if it helps. I can barely shop on Amazon anymore. I built my old pc and just switched to a prebuilt one that's not as powerful but I can shop on Amazon and look at cooking websites without freezing.
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

No matter how I run Seamonkey, it is not recognized as a 'current' browser by most websites. For Banking, I have to use Firefox, as I am directed to 'other choices' if I try to logon, under Seamonkey. Forget about using it for Facebook, altogether. You can't even type within a field. (No response to keying)
I know this Browser is a 'Freebee', but it seems to me, that (no offense) the Mac version, has been completely neglected. I have the exact same issues, across three different Mac computers. With every update, I have expected that some fixes would be forthcoming, but have always been disappointed.
Thanks for listening. Apologies in advance, if I am somehow, doing something extraordinary.(I can't imagine what)
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

...Anybody??
therube

Post by therube »

For banking, Bank of America, I use - SeaMonkey.

Has nothing to do with neglect.
It has to do with whether a browser works, or works well, with particular websites.

If it does, fine.
If it does not, you have to find something else that does, or does better.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

The Browser runs slow, on most websites. The 'spinning beach ball', is only too common.
Just trying to give constructive feedback, but whatever....
quartersaw

Post by quartersaw »

The latest:
Craigslist 'categories' brings up blank pages. (Firefox works)

Twitter does not work at all. : ({"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}) (Firefox works)

FEDEX will not respond when entering a tracking number: (Unfortunately we are unable to retrieve your tracking results at this time. Please try again later. ) (Firefox works)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

quartersaw wrote:The latest:
Craigslist 'categories' brings up blank pages.
Works fine for me.
quartersaw wrote:Twitter does not work at all.
Works fine for me.
quartersaw wrote:FEDEX will not respond when entering a tracking number:
Didn't test, don't have a tracking number.

On your other posts -
I constantly have 'spinning beach ball' freezes, and 'Stop Script' issues, that I have to force quit, out of.
I don't have those problems.
Forget about using it for Facebook, altogether.
The site works fine for me, although you do have to paste something into the Reply box before you can type. As I'm not 'replying' much, that's a bug I can live with.

As well as the other stuff, I suggest you try a new clean testing profile -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »