named localhost URLs - Address Not Found in Seamonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
fedoracore

named localhost URLs - Address Not Found in Seamonkey

Post by fedoracore »

Hi there. I remember why I stopped by the other day.

I setup my development server (Debian as WSL on Windows 11) to serve some old Apache htdocs folders i found on an old hard drive.

I even named them creatively. for Windows "H:" drive, and an "L:" drive, like so:
htdocsH.localhost
htdocsL.localhost

I happened to be using Seamonkey at the time. It won't open those locations. I'm sure it can, but I don't know what to tweak to tell it it's okay to go to those addresses. It keeps wanting to load, E.g. :
http://www.htdocsl.localhost/

and I get the error page:

Address Not Found
www.htdocsl.localhost could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

I'd like to use Seamonkey to browse that, but it's not a huge deal. What is causing that? I don't really feel like setting up SSL there for just looking at nostalgic stuff on an old HDD.

BTW. Last time I posted, I'd mentioned about the forum loading slowly. Turns out, it was my connection. Not a problem w/ your sever. my apologies. Neighbor was stealing my Wi-Fi!
jeffsabarese bandcamp com
Anonymosity

Re: named localhost URLs - Address Not Found in Seamonkey

Post by Anonymosity »

Can you not just use File > Open and browse to those drives?
fedoracore

Post by fedoracore »

yes, i can browse to those drives. most of my stuff requires PHP to be running on server to render the pages.
:(

I see that Basilisk also does the same thing w/ putting the www in there. (realizing of course that's not official mozilla... just sayin')
it's really not a big deal. i'm mostly just curious as to why the browser would modify the URL like that. i've seen those docs a thousand times. it's more of a "why is that happening?" vs "my day is ruined until this is repaired" sort of concern.
:lol:

maybe i need to fix my hosts file. i'll check that and report if i ever figure it out.

Cheers, and best regards!
fedoracore

Post by fedoracore »

Just to note, newer versions of Firefox WILL display the "localhost subdomain"

sorry to cloud the forum, but I am still curious about this. just curiosity. no technical issues here.

Does anyone know of a way to get Seamonkey to load a dot-locallhost domain like that?
therube

Post by therube »

file:// or something along the lines of http://127.0.0.1/..., perhaps?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
njsg

Post by njsg »

Can you try playing with the "Unknown Locations" options in Edit->Preferences->Browser->Location Bar? Do you still have trouble with both options disabled? Or are these disabled already?
Nuno J. Silva