Transfer Mail from Windows to Linux?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Eakamai

Transfer Mail from Windows to Linux?

Post by Eakamai »

Important mail computer died. No data loss, just the machine.

For some reason, I've missed or forgot that SM is ported to linux. :oops: Two questions:

Is it possible to transfer mail stores to a Linux [mint] system so I can get my mail client back up & running again?

If so, can they be transferred back if & when I get another win system up and running?

Massive Thanks for any help!
Eakamai

Re: Transfer Mail from Windows to Linux?

Post by Eakamai »

Could this question be far too stupid to be addressed? Or nobody has needed to actually do this crazy stuff? ;)

It's been eons since I've used Linux (since Red Hat 5.2!). I'm worried about the file system/storage differences.
I only have the linux system to work with until I get another Win system up which will be awhile.

If I hose the mail stores I'm toast. :(
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, I'll take a crack at it. Use the same method you would use to transfer your profile from windows PC to new windows pc.

If you use imap mail (stored on server) there is no issue, just sign in to your accounts on the linux machine, and your mail should be visible.

If you use pop mail, then your mail files are stored locally, so first, back up your existing mail stores files. Maybe back them up a second time.

Then, create a new profile in the linux computer, sign in to your mail accounts, and check where the new mail files are created.

COPY your existing (windows) mail files over the newly created ones on the linux machine.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey

The worst that can happen is that it does not work. You will still have your backup files.
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Very sorry I haven't been able to get back up here. Thanks Rob for the response :)

Haven't done anything on this yet. Awaiting some gear before tackling this.
If it gets crazy I might post back on what happened.

Thanks again Rob
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Eakamai wrote:Haven't done anything on this yet. Awaiting some gear before tackling this.
I've done all this and more when I added Linux to my PC, as well as Windows, i.e. duel booting. Let me know if you need a hand.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Frank Lion wrote:
Eakamai wrote:Haven't done anything on this yet. Awaiting some gear before tackling this.
I've done all this and more when I added Linux to my PC, as well as Windows, i.e. duel booting. Let me know if you need a hand.
Aloha Frank! :) Very sorry I missed this! Was able to get a windoze system up and running.

However, dual linux is still in progress.
Used to use slackware & redhat eons ago and I'm trying to decide on which [new] 'Flavor' I'll use.
It's been so long I'm liable to get crazy trying to re-learn it again. ](*,)

I switched to a win machine because of problems with devices. I had to constantly build kernels with special drivers etc.
I hope it's not as much of an issue now.

Mahalo again Frank