Brand new computer and Seamonkey still "not responding"

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hayley3

Brand new computer and Seamonkey still "not responding"

Post by hayley3 »

Just trying to type this message is slow. I type and a minute later the text shows up. I have 4 tabs open. Chrome works fine.
TPR75

Re: Brand new computer and Seamonkey still "not responding"

Post by TPR75 »

hayley3 wrote:Just trying to type this message is slow. I type and a minute later the text shows up. I have 4 tabs open.
That's why user needs ads&scripts blocker like UBlock Origin:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... /releases/

Chromeism disease is spreading over the world and is infecting more and more websites. They do not care for standards as long as "it works with Google Chrome". With so few developers it's hard to "fix" SeaMonkey to make it fit with "latest Chrome". :(

Merry Christmas
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

I don't want to use Chrome. But I setup this new PC and didn't even import anything from the Old Seamonkey and still I'm having issues. I installed all my bookmarks individually so that my Seamonkey would work but it is actually worse. Surely there is something I can do?
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Have you ever considered a "Restore" of your Windows 10 O/S? Windows has this feature built in and can cure many issues like you describe.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... windows-10
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:Have you ever considered a "Restore" of your Windows 10 O/S? Windows has this feature built in and can cure many issues like you describe.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use- ... windows-10
That is really not the best advice for resolving this type of issue. Too many other elements are impacted by a Windows Restore.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

A Windows Restore froze my PC and the whole PC system had to be redone using a prior image before it could boot or run.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

It's a brand new PC...I just installed Seamonkey on it. It has Chrome and Seamonkey on it, plus discord.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

What are the specs of the new PC - Processor, ram, diskdrive etc??

What version of windows - 10 or 11??

When this happens, what amount of RAM and Disk useage does the taskmanager show?

If windows is still trying to install updates, this can consume most of your resources. Especially if you have an HDD as opposed to an SSD

Seamonkey can gobble up ram after a few hours of use, or with too many tabs open, so frequent restarts (of Seamonkey) help a lot
Chromeism disease is spreading over the world and is infecting more and more websites.
This would not be applicable when the user is trying to post a message on this forum, now, would it??
Have you ever considered a "Restore" of your Windows 10 O/S?
Before trying to help, it might be appropriate to read the subject of the question "Brand new computer..."
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

hayley3 wrote:Just trying to type this message is slow. I type and a minute later the text shows up. I have 4 tabs open [....]
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Rob_S wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Chromeism disease is spreading over the world and is infecting more and more websites.
This would not be applicable when the user is trying to post a message on this forum, now, would it??
"What's in the box?!" I mean, what was in other 3 tabs? Maybe some nice website bloated with scripts? This forum will not cause such effect. It was something different. Facebook? Discord? Other ads heavy website?

To avoid restart of SeaMonkey memory can be cleared:
viewtopic.php?p=14913632#p14913632
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

hayley3 wrote:Just trying to type this message is slow. I type and a minute later the text shows up. I have 4 tabs open. Chrome works fine.
What Anti Virus?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
hayley3

Post by hayley3 »

[quote="Rob_S"]What are the specs of the new PC - Processor, ram, diskdrive etc??

What version of windows - 10 or 11??

When this happens, what amount of RAM and Disk useage does the taskmanager show?

If windows is still trying to install updates, this can consume most of your resources. Especially if you have an HDD as opposed to an SSD

Seamonkey can gobble up ram after a few hours of use, or with too many tabs open, so frequent restarts (of Seamonkey) help a lot

Windows 10 Home, Intel I7 8700 3.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4 memory, Nvidia GTX 6gb, 240GB SSD (80gb used) + 1TB HDD (10GB used), 9% cpu and .1 MB/s disk

I'm also still getting the script issues: https://gyazo.com/bc43647bd5a021365d7f0b45c785d63c
I also notice that if I click a link in an email, the email window hangs me up.

Thanks
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Nothing in those specs would explain slow response by itself. Does any other program respond slowly when it happens?

Next time the slowdown actually happens, you could try checking windows task manager again to see if any particular process is hogging resources at that time.

Post a screenshot of the taskmanager processes tab, sorted by whatever column has the highest percent used. This might help figure out where to look further.

As to the script errors, that is an issue with seamonkey on certain websites, and some times you just need to give up and use some other browser for those.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

hayley3 wrote:It's a brand new PC...I just installed Seamonkey on it. It has Chrome and Seamonkey on it, plus discord.
Did you do a clean, fresh install, or did you do some kind of copy/restore/clone off the other system?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ElTxolo wrote:
hayley3 wrote:Just trying to type this message is slow. I type and a minute later the text shows up. I have 4 tabs open [....]
'OK so ive an issue with SeaMonkey, what gives huh?'
Instead of the ...

'OK so ive an issue with SeaMonkey, what gives huh?'

...type question often asked in SeaMonkey Support, the following is a list of information that would be 'useful' to have right at the start, instead of being slowly extracted like teeth from you.
Hmm, :-k I seem to have been blessed with the gift of prophesy. Then again, maybe people are just more predictable than they'd like to think.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)