userChrome.css and userContent.css

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
The.Purple.Hippo

userChrome.css and userContent.css

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

I'm still using SM 2.53.12. That's the last version that's stylish 2.1.1 will work. After that its a no go. So I thought I would put all the styles in userChrome.css and userContent.css files. Well, that didn't work, and its beyond me to figure out what's wrong. So, is there someone out there that I can email the files to, and you can look at them, and fix them. If so then PM me with your email address and I'll send them out right away.

Thanks
Anonymosity

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css

Post by Anonymosity »

The userChrome.css and userContent.css files have to be in a subfolder in the profile named "chrome". Actually, I have files in the chrome folder in SeaMonkey named userChrome-example.css and userContent-example.css. These give useful hints as to how to use the files. Do you not have those in your profile?
The.Purple.Hippo

yes I know where the files go, and yes, I have example files. Its just that my styles aren't working in the User.css files. I have no idea why, it's beyond my comprehension.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

By default, userChrome.css modifications are disabled in Firefox. You need to make sure that on the about:config page in Firefox, the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference is set to true and then restart the browser.
Or this was not ported to SeaMonkey?
frg

Post by frg »

This pref / Bug will not be backported. Both css files are still 100% supported without shady tricks:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1550157
The.Purple.Hippo

frg wrote:This pref / Bug will not be backported. Both css files are still 100% supported without shady tricks:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1550157
Are you saying that the css files work for you?
frg

Post by frg »

I am saying that userChrome.css and userContent.css in general are still supported without setting prefs.
The.Purple.Hippo

Then why doesn't my styles work in the css files.
hardys

Post by hardys »

In my case it is working to style elements in my browser or calendar but not for external sites with @-moz-document domain()
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hardys wrote:In my case it is working to style elements in my browser or calendar but not for external sites with @-moz-document domain()
wfm
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
The.Purple.Hippo

If its working for others then there's something wrong with my styles, and thats why I need help. Its above my head.
hardys

Post by hardys »

Frank Lion wrote:wfm
Frank you are right, I forgot to restart SM after changes in the userContent.css :oops:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hardys wrote: I forgot to restart SM after changes in the userContent.css
It happens, especially if you've come straight from Stylish. I have a Restart extension for this, but don't forget there's a builtin Restart button in about:profiles.
The.Purple.Hippo wrote:Then why doesn't my styles work in the css files.
Without even a single example here from you then that's for you to figure out.

No one in their right mind is going to PM you to read and re-write the yards of old styles of a total stranger. That is the reality and this 'above my head' stuff is just an easy cop out.

Here's how to set up and test userChrome.css and userContent.css files -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037817
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
The.Purple.Hippo

Frank Lion wrote:Without even a single example here from you then that's for you to figure out.

No one in their right mind is going to PM you to read and re-write the yards of old styles of a total stranger. That is the reality and this 'above my head' stuff is just an easy cop out.

Here's how to set up and test userChrome.css and userContent.css files -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037817
I'm using stylish, and if my understanding is correct, styish is the same as using userChrome.css and userContent.css files. Correct. There's no rewriting. Then it should be only a matter of cut and paste, right. Wrong. I've cut and pasted and nothing happens. Thats why I need someone to go over my stuff. Maybe I'm missing a line or two. Or maybe a bracket is in the wrong area. For me, I don't know, this is above my head. I even looked in the error console and there's nothing to report there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you post the code you are using others can check to see what's happening. If you don't want to do that we can lock this thread as no productive.