Webp forum image attachments not viewable in SM 2.53.15

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
vtmozilla

Webp forum image attachments not viewable in SM 2.53.15

Post by vtmozilla »

(re. Linux Seamonkey 2.53.15 installed from Seamonkey official site on Puppy Linux BionicPup64.)

I've come across several webp attachments on a Small Machines Forum (SMF) served forum that are treated as binary attachments, despite their .webp file extensions. These files are not served with the usual forum thumbnail, and do not open when clicked in Seamonkey. Only the option to download is available in Seamonkey, and they are reported as "bin" files.

If I use Firefox and I click on the same webp image file attachments, Firefox does display the image in a new tab.

On the other hand Seamonkey does seem to have native webp support if I open images elsewhere on the web that are served directly, rather than as attachments. For instance, on Google's gallery site, webp images display properly in Seamonkey.

This leads me to believe that Seamonkey probably needs a helper application to display webp file attachments.

But when I check Seamonkey Edit>Preferences>Browser>Helper Applications I don't see any entry available for .webp mimetypes. So there is no choice to display these images rather than downloading to my computer and then opening them in a separate graphics viewer.

I do have applications that could display the webps, and would work with Seamonkey, but I don't see a way of adding them to its helper application list.

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification.
therube

Re: Webp forum image attachments not viewable in SM 2.53.15

Post by therube »

> I've come across several webp attachments on a Small Machines Forum (SMF) served forum that are treated as binary attachments

URL to the page they are on?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Thanks for replying therube. The message location is here:

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index. ... #msg263091

First post on that page. However you will only see two normal looking linked photos if you go there as a non-member. Attachments are not visible unless signed in.

Below those two photos in that post are 6 attachments -- all attached photos, all of which do not have (normal) thumbnails. Just filenames.

Some have the .webp extension, some have the .jpg extension. I found that the .jpg files were actually mislabeled webp files, after I downloaded them and took a look at properties.

So essentially they are webp photo attachments, which are not treated by SMF's viewer as photos. Likewise, Seamonkey is not treating them as photos, but only unknown files to be downloaded. Firefox, for some reason recognizes the filetype and does display them, but in a separate tab.

I don't know if Firefox is detecting the internal structure of the file or only reading the extension to determine it.

Anyway, hope that helps as a description, and what I can figure out so far.
therube

Post by therube »

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery1

SeaMonkey looks to work there.

Copy a couple of these files from modelenginemaker & throw them up somewhere.
Maybe https://www.zippyshare.com/ or https://www.upload.ee/
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

vtmozilla wrote:(re. Linux Seamonkey 2.53.15 installed from Seamonkey official site on Puppy Linux BionicPup64.)

...For instance, on Google's gallery site, webp images display properly in Seamonkey.
A couple of the files uploaded to zippyshare as requested:

https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/ydfvuiva/file.html
https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/u2Lt8kvT/file.html

This site provides a download of the files which causes my version of Seamonkey to ask whether to save or open the files (which are recognized as webp) with a helper application. Choosing Seamonkey as the helper application THEN does open the file properly in a new tab. Great!

This is different than the action I found in the same files hosted on the SMF server based forum. There downloading the file causes Seamonkey to identify the same file as a bin file, not a webp file. The option to open with a helper application is not given. Only downloading is permitted.

I do not know why Firefox (current) identifies the file as webp always, but Seamonkey sees it as a bin file when downloaded from a forum, but does correctly identify it as webp when downloading from theZippyfile site.

But in any case .....progress. Thank you The Rube
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

More info:

Screenshots of contrasting Seamonkey file messages -- same file -- hosted on zippyshare and on the original forum.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you want a type of file to be recognized by a browser to have a helper application, you need to have an application associated with that file's extension name. The browser takes information about helpers from the operating system.
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Thanks Anonymosity, I appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, I do have a helper application (mtpaint) associated with webp in the operating system and local webp files automatically open in it, If I download the file, and click on it, it opens fine.

I have also now successfully associated in Seamonkey, itself as a helper application for opening a webp file served as an "application/x-download". Seamonkey has the ability to display webp without helper (or using itself as a helper,)

So far, however, it doesn't seem to recognize a "WEBP file" at all, so it does not use either method. It offers only to download the file, not to open it in a helper application.

See the second of the two screen shot messages included above. No choice to use a helper application.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

vtmozilla wrote:So far, however, it doesn't seem to recognize a "WEBP file" at all, so it does not use either method. It offers only to download the file, not to open it in a helper application.
Download and save WEBP files. Then try to open them with SeaMonkey. You can use context menu (Open with) or just drag&drop on SeaMonkey's window. If such pictures will be displayed by SeaMonkey it means they're supported.

It can be problem with website - for some reason it can force SeaMonkey to download instead of display.

For test try this example:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... y2020.webp

More info about WebP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Thanks for your help TPR75.

As I've mentioned before, Seamonkey can open webp files.

In fact I just now set my operating system to use Seamonkey as the default viewer for opening local webp files, and it works perfectly. I can click on a local webp on my machine and it opens instantly in Seamonkey.

Nevertheless it still cannot open a webp file served as an attachment, because it doesn't recognize it as such. It only offers to download the file. It does not even offer to use a helper application to open the file.
therube

Post by therube »

Since the files do open successfully in SeaMonkey, then it most likely is not a SeaMonkey issue (I would think).

Do the files open, directly, in another browser?

If you look at your pic here, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14950566, it says (the "mime-type" is) "application/x-download" (& not knowing what that means), to me, it says it allows a download action rather then an open action (& that is irrespective of .webp).

That information is sent from the server (modelenginemaker).
(If the server changed their mime-type for the item, you would expect that it could then be opened directly in the browser.)

Now a particular browse may say (I suppose), "ignore that & open it in the browser instead", so maybe it works in some browser, but maybe not all? (No clue on this part.)