Ebay shopping cart non-responsive with SM 2.53.15

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

My user agent string is stock, and correct below. I do normally run No-Script as an Add-on. However, to confirm, I've just tried this with a restart with Add-ons Disabled:

Steps:

1.) I add an item to my shopping cart.

2.) I then go to Shopping Cart in Ebay,

3.) I hit the Check Out button. Nothing happens.

4.) Also while in shopping cart I try to remove the item with the button for that, nothing happens.

(I have also reported this to Ebay, several times in the last month, however, their reporting method says to expect no response.)
Peter Creasey

Re: Ebay shopping cart non-responsive with SM 2.53.15

Post by Peter Creasey »

I have had to resort to using my backup browser for these actions.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Thanks Pete.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Yep, that's because it is with SM.
vtmozilla wrote:4.) Also while in shopping cart I try to remove the item with the button for that, nothing happens.
To remove any items added to cart then go to My Ebay and hit the basket in the top right. A dropdown appears and there's a small delete icon on that dropdown. Use that and don't hit the Go to Basket at all.

I only discovered this basket problem after you mentioned it, so although I use Ebay a fair bit, I guess I must buy single items and always select 'Buy Now'.

The rest of Ebay works fine, so I do all the item browsing there, but the PayPal popup doesn't appear when you're buying, so I complete the purchase by opening the page in Chromium or Edge Beta and I'm fine with that.

Fixed!

#1.
Enter about:config in addressbar and search for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction Right click that entry, select Modify to set to the value 0

#2.
Menu> Edit>Preferences>Browser>Link Behaviour .... check/tick A New Tab in the Current Window (2nd option from the top)

#3. You're done. The Ebay never loading PayPal popup now opens up instead in a new tab and works fine.

For the way I use Ebay (not ever using the 'Basket') Ebay is now working 100% fine for me. :)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.link. ... estriction
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Frank, thanks kindly for this fix. Unfortunately today when trying to make an Ebay purchase, I could not purchase at all, not via Add to Cart, not via Buy It Now,
Add to Cart also did not add anything to the cart.

Steps to reproduce:
1.) about:config browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction = 0
2.) Edit>Preferences>Link Behavior>A New Tab in the Current Window is checked

I tried in Safe mode. Nothing, other than additional ads showing up (normally blocked by NoScript).

Using: 2.53.17 on X64 Linux and
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.17
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

vtmozilla wrote: September 15th, 2023, 11:05 am Frank, thanks kindly for this fix. Unfortunately today when trying to make an Ebay purchase, I could not purchase at all, not via Add to Cart, not via Buy It Now,
Add to Cart also did not add anything to the cart.
In a word, swing over to https://www.chromium.org/Home/ as your backup browser and use it for future Ebay stuff, until this gets sorted.

Money type things and ordering stuff are just too important for anything to go wrong.

Just tried Ebay and although the 'Buy Now' seems to work for me, I did notice Errors in the Error Console.

I now use Chromium on both Linux and Windows now as the backup browser. It's lighter than Chrome and M$ Edge and will not have Mozilla related problems that Firefox may have with websites. Don't use Chromium much, but, yeah, it will get you out of trouble, as here.

When I get time, I'll see if I can fix the Ebay side or at least fully understand the problem.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I also cannot finish transactions now with SeaMonkey at eBay site. A fix would be most appreciated.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

I truly appreciate your help on this so far Frank, and Peter.

I have another solution. Rather than being web-coded to force me out of my choice of browser, I've just been buying on Amazon for the last few months instead, where I continue to have zero problems making a purchase. Mostly I buy new, anyway.

If a supermarket told me what make of car could park in their lot, I'd drive to another one that didn't care.
frg

Post by frg »

I believe this is working in 2.53.18b1pre already.
therube

Post by therube »

If a supermarket told me what make of car could park in their lot, I'd drive to another one that didn't care.
+1.
If only more took the same attitude.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript