Can Receive But Cannot Send

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

Can Receive But Cannot Send

Post by Bluelead »

SeaMonkey 2.53.15 has been working for me then suddenly I can receive emails, but I cannot send composed or forwarded messages. When attempting to send the message green bar goes across as if to send, but an overlaying window appears saying: Retry - Enter New Password - Cancel. I do not want to change the password as it is working well on my laptop, where I am sending this email using the same password. I compared the SeaMonkey setting on my Laptop to my Desktop where the problem is and they are the same. My wife's SeaMonkey is working well. AOL works using this password. The Desktop is Windows 7 along with my wife's, the Laptop use to be 7 and now Windows 11. Any solution to my problem? Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Can Receive But Cannot Send

Post by DanRaisch »

Who is the email provider?
Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have in the Mail window under menu path Edit->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Just tell us if it is your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Authentication Method:
Connection Security:
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Provider is AOL.
Server name: smtp.verizon.net
Port #: 465
User name before @: Bluelead
Authentication Method: Normal password
Connection Securitu: SSL/TLS
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

The AOL OAuth 2.0 authentication strategy authenticates users using an AOL account and OAuth 2.0 tokens.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I don't know how to use the OAuth. I am not that computerwise. I did download SeaMonkey over the current SeaMonkey on my computer and that did not work. I might try replacing the sent file and replace it with a backup sent file I have. Periodically, I copy the Mozilla file to a separate folder on the computer. I have noticed recently that SeaMonkey crashs frequently when I am composing messages. And, I have to get out of SeaMonkey and start it up fresh. I like SeaMonkey and have used it from when it was first introduced years ago. Sad I cannot fix it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Right now it doesn't seem that the issue is actually with SeaMonkey (the program itself) but with the selected settings for that mail account. And you don't have to be all that computerwise to switch the setting for Authentication Method from Normal Password to "OAuth". It's just a matter of selecting that from the drop down list of options found under Edit->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->click on the account name at the upper right of the dialogue: After selecting that you'll want to close the SeaMonkey mail window and then load it again so that account can look for an authentication value.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

It did not work for me. This is what I changed to from above message. And made it my default, closed SeaMonkey and came back in. I have been upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.53.16. What now?

Description: Bluelead
User name before: <not specified>
Authentication Method: OAuth2
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Bluelead wrote:User name before: <not specified>
Fill it with your e-mail address.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I filled in with the email address and also just my logon name. Both ways failed. The changes were made, made it default, and got out of the computer totally and came back in. I always was able to use the link sent to me that a reply was there for me to read in Mozillazine. However, now I am getting the below message. I had to log into Firefox to get to Mozillazine to read these messages. Now what?

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to forums.mozillazine.org:80.
SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

What are your settings for the outgoing server?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

My normal default setting is below (Provider is AOL).
"Details for selected server:"

User name: Bluelead
Authentication Method: Normal password
Connection Securitu: SSL/TLS

I tried the following setup but it too failed.
User name: Bluelead
Authentication Method: OAuth2
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Your settingw are the same as mine except for Description I have "not specified" and my server name and user name are different.

[EDITED TO ADD] You might try Port 587 as some people I believe have said they use this.
Last edited by Peter Creasey on April 3rd, 2023, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I made the port change. Tried to send a simple 3 word message. I did not get the original failure message (noted above in previous messages). However, it looked as if it was going through, then this message came up:
Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.verizon.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I believe I have solved my problem. I changed the name of Mozilla under Roaming and then used by backup file of Mozilla from January in place of it. It worked for me. The problem is the missing messages from January to today. I am not sure if this is going to work, but I switched the Mozilla file names back so I could see the missing messages in corrupted SeaMonkey. Here is where I am not sure it is going to work for me. I marked the missing messages and did a Save To command to an Explorer folder. What I will try to do is revert back to the January backup SeaMonkey and figure out a way to move the messages in the folder into the backup SeaMonkey that is working for me. Any suggestions? I just hope this work-around works. I appreciated everyone's help with the original problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in SeaMonkey, as POP or IMAP?