Dropbox is the only website that won't load

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
hardys

Re: Dropbox is the only website that won't load

Post by hardys »

jgreer wrote: new (and there are three choices there)
right click -> New -> Select "String"

For Name enter: General.useragent.override.dropbox.com
for Value enter: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Click new and enter the two items.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

Peter Creasey wrote:Click new and enter the two items.
I messed up. I entered the first value twice. Dropbox still won't come up. When I tried to re-do it and add the two values, the first value could be put into the box but it wouldn't let me go to the second one to put in the other item.

Can it be redone?
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

I just found out that I can't get on Facebook either. There's an error message "Your Request Couldn't be Processed
There was a problem with this request. We're working on getting it fixed as soon as we can." It doesn't happen on firefox.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Right click the entry you want to delete and select reset.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

Peter Creasey wrote:Right click the entry you want to delete and select reset.
Nope. Didn't work. It's still there unchanged and I can't get Dropbox to load. Name and value are both listed one right after the other on the page.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

You need to exit and return and it should be gone.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

Peter Creasey wrote:You need to exit and return and it should be gone.
Yes, it was gone so I did what you said and put in the string name and value correctly. But dropbox still won't load. It starts to load then goes blank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jgreer wrote:..But dropbox still won't load. It starts to load then goes blank.
No, it wouldn't. If just one person can get to/log in at Dropbox using a default SM profile, with its default UA string (as here) then you already know that UA overrides are not needed here.

For future reference though, there is a locked Sticky thread on that subject - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14948460

I suggest you work through this list - https://www.technipages.com/how-to-fix- ... n-browser/

and also do SafeMode and New testing profile actions shown in Sections #1 and #2 of this Sticky thread - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877

A blank screen for Dropbox is quite a common problem, irrespective of the browser used.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

:sigh: I tried all the stuff that the link you gave me suggested. I just can't get into Drropbox using Seamonkey. I did read that the preferred list of browsers that support Dropbox do not include Seamonkey so it looks like I'll just have to use another browser.

Thanks for trying.
v_v

Post by v_v »

jgreer,

I don't know but if Peter Creasey was able to get the Dropbox fix that I supplied to work then you should be able to also.

I guess I would be interested in seeing exactly how your override looks in your "about:config". I know that you said that you copied what Peter posted but I would like to see exactly what is there.

So if you still have the override please copy it and post exactly what you have entered there -- both the Name and the Value. (Right-click on the override and copy)

v_v
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

And be sure you are entering at https://www.dropbox.com/login
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

v_v wrote:jgreer,

I don't know but if Peter Creasey was able to get the Dropbox fix that I supplied to work then you should be able to also.

I guess I would be interested in seeing exactly how your override looks in your "about:config". I know that you said that you copied what Peter posted but I would like to see exactly what is there.

So if you still have the override please copy it and post exactly what you have entered there -- both the Name and the Value. (Right-click on the override and copy)

v_v
General.useragent.override.dropbox.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9

I tried to cop[y and paste the whole page but couldn't. Also, since I've been having Firefox problems, I've started using the Brave browser so I could get into dropbox. Brave wouldn't let me go to about:config. I went to the Seamonkey browser to get it.
jgreer

Post by jgreer »

Oh, and I found that Facebook wouldn't load either, so I used the stuff you gave me for Dropbox but used Facebook instead, and it worked. But Dropbox won't.
v_v

Post by v_v »

jgreer,

Your override appears to be accurate; I was hoping that there would be an easily noticed typo somewhere but there was not.

One thing that I am curious about is that your override appears to be
General.useragent.override.dropbox.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9
But then right under that you posted
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.9

Hopefully in the "Value" part of your override you do not have the value part listed THREE times?!! If you do then that might be part of the problem.

Beyond the preceding suggestion you might want to see if "Firefox/68.0" or "Firefox/60.0" might work. But as I said previously there are no guarantees.

By the way for Facebook, PaleMoon uses a pre-installed override with the "Firefox/68.0" value. So if you got "Firefox/68.9" to work for Facebook then bravo for you!

Also with regards to the Brave browser, it does not have an "about:config"; the latter is related to browsers with roots in the Gecko lineage of browsers: Firefox, SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, etc. In Brave the closest equivalent would be "brave://flags". But it looks totally different and would not really compare to or be transferable to "about:config".

v_v