Less and less functional websites with Seamonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
northseaswiss

Less and less functional websites with Seamonkey

Post by northseaswiss »

Hi everyone,

recently I have noticed that less and less sites react positively to Seamonkey.
I wonder why that is. Irrespectively to any settings in HTTP Networking, icons in forum softwares (such as for "latest entry") are not shown, unread posts in forums do not show.
The latest, and worst, experience was that PayPal was not opening correctly - I was repeatedly presented with a Captcha tickbox, but no other window opened. Embarrasingly, the vendor was sent a message that I had paid, which was not the case.

Until recently Youtube did not work unless Firefox comkpatibility was advertised, and as much as I saw in the Seamonkey forum, Youtube was blamed for not accepting the Seamonkey identification.

Obviously, Seamonkey has continuous problems in dealing with scripts on websites.

Neither problem occurs with Firefox.
I must say that I cannot understand these striking differences in the functionalities of the browsers. When, in ancient times, I started to use Mozilla, later Seamonkey, there was never any talk of the standalone browser differing in function from the one in the suite.
I cannot understand why I, as a user, should embark on a mission to try and somehow master these problems. Why the hell don't they make Seamonkey work as any browser would? Why the difference in construction and functionality and identification? Hey, as much as I know Firefox comes from the same people, doesn't it?

One of the reasons I am using this software is that I don't want to support the big players' browsers for various reasons such as security problems etc. But at the moment I am forced into using those, and I really think that now, after almost 30 years, the usability of Seamonkey is at an end if the project is incapable of keeping up with the pace websites are redeveloping.

What do you think of these issues? Have you experienced the same? What is your solution?

Best,
Guido
(from Germany. Windows 10. Seamonkey 2.53.16)
v_v

Re: Less and less functional websites with Seamonkey

Post by v_v »

Guido,

I have no answers for you but if you want to see some previous discussions about these issues and other peoples' experiences and perspectives, then take a look at this now-locked thread, " http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3071978 ".

One minor point that I can answer is that Firefox and SeaMonkey do not come "from the same people." Even though they might have a shared history from a long time ago they are now completely different browsers being developed and maintained by two different groups of people. Firefox essentially has an organization for its support, while SeaMonkey is largely being carried forward by a very small number of volunteers.

v_v
northseaswiss

Post by northseaswiss »

Hi,

Thank you for the insights, I was not aware of these facts.
Unfortuantely, this ensues dark prospects. If there are only few developers, plus they are volunteers, this means that there is a limited amount of resources to keep Mozilla up to the required standards of websites.
Maybe I have to say goodbye after all and choose another browser.
Too bad.
Guido
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

YouTube does not like SeaMonkey or Pale Moon, but it works with them if I use a user-agent override claiming to be Firefox 60.
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

Seamonkey 2.53.16
Windows 10 22H2, etc

I have to add to this. I use the Next Door neighborhood network (www.nextdoor.com) to discuss area issues with neighbors, but just this past week Seamonkey ceased working. The login page won't even load.

That system sends e-mails which I can get with the mail client portion of the program, and usually those have a click link to view a specific message thread. However, clicking that only loads a browser window and no content.

If I copy the link and open it in a different browser, it works. So this site is browser sniffing for sure. Before this week, this was working ok. Slow, (but that site is always slow) but working.

I am not adept at changing the user agent in about:config but if someone posts the process I can try.

Unless this can get fixed, or a spoof of the user agent does not work, this may be a swan song for me after all these years.

At the least allow us to use an external browser so we can continue to use the mail and news clients.

Thanks

DK
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

sunclad wrote: Seamonkey 2.53.16
Windows 10 22H2, etc

I have to add to this. I use the Next Door neighborhood network (www.nextdoor.com) to discuss area issues with neighbors, but just this past week Seamonkey ceased working. The login page won't even load.
I have to add this - that site works fine for me on SM 2.53.16. The login page is fine, as is the new member sign in page.

The UA is - User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16

If I copy the link and open it in a different browser, it works. So this site is browser sniffing for sure.
That is an illogical conclusion, as something at your end may well account for your problem and thus have nothing to do with 'browser sniffing'.

I suggest you start the troubleshooting process with SafeMode and then a new testing profile - viewtopic.php?p=14867877#p14867877

Unless this can get fixed, or a spoof of the user agent does not work, this may be a swan song for me after all these years.
However you may or may not have intended that, that reads like the usual passive/aggressive blackmail stuff we get from people who have trouble just asking for support here. It never goes down well.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I only get a blank page with SeaMonkey using this for dropbox...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 3:56 pm I only get a blank page with SeaMonkey using this for dropbox...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
As I've mentioned before, choosing, as you do, to change the SeaMonkey default UA string for all websites is going to bring problems, as you've found.

Meanwhile, both Dropbox and the site mentioned earlier - Image

...both work fine for me. You make your own luck with the stuff.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 4:16 pm As I've mentioned before, choosing, as you do, to change the SeaMonkey default UA string for all websites is going to bring problems, as you've found.
Frank, I don't understand how I might be thought to be changing the UA for "all sites". I just changed SeaMonkey UA for dropbox with the FireFox 91.0 parameter like it appeared that you had done.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 5:30 pm Frank, I don't understand how I might be thought to be changing the UA for "all sites".
Because you've been posting in these forums for nearly a year showing a UA of Firefox 91? ....(until recently, the UA string was shown at the bottom of every post here)

Peter Creasey wrote: I just changed SeaMonkey UA for dropbox with the FireFox 91.0 parameter like it appeared that you had done.
Frank Lion wrote: April 6th, 2023, 11:53 am For me, Dropbox loads fine and, before you ask, logs in ok and then still displays and works fine.*

* test performed, as usual, with a clean default additional testing profile.
Meanwhile, you spent the next 3 pages writing about this - viewtopic.php?p=14953461#p14953461

https://keepcalms.com/p/f-this-i-m-outta-here/
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 4:21 amBecause you've been posting in these forums for nearly a year showing a UA of Firefox 91?
Frank, until the change you recommended, I had the UA for DropBox to be something BESIDES FireFox 91. Neither the previous setting nor the FireFox 91 setting works for me with DropBox. I would be interested to know what I can do to remedy this problem.
you've been posting in these forums for nearly a year showing a UA of Firefox 91?
I had the default UA to be FireFox 91 in accordance with what was recommended here. I would be interested to know what you feel the default setting should be.

Thanks for responding.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

The login page won't even load
This, https://nextdoor.com/login/ ?

WMF.
And then when I enter my (invalid) un/pw, it asks me to sign up.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

I only get a blank page with SeaMonkey using this for dropbox...
URL to a avalid dropbox download link (assuming it is some download link you're noting)?
(Anyhow, "dropbox" itself looking to be loading without issue.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Okay, dropbox is now loading for me. I don't know what happened before.

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
krjarman

Post by krjarman »

I am experiencing the same problem. It seems to have gotten worse since the last release 2.53.16. more and more of the largest sites are rejecting inquiries from SeaMonkey for "Security Reasons." Here is an example of what I am now getting when simply trying to log in to my Google account using SeaMonkey: "This browser or app may not be secure. Use a supported browser. These and other browsers support JavaScript:"
Chrome
Safari
Firefox
Opera
Edge
Banks
I love SeaMonkey and have been using it for many years. I certainly don't have the solution to its decline, but I am certain someone out there has figured out how to get past the security issue. Please help us out!!