SeaMonkey Theme documentation

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
MelvinG24

SeaMonkey Theme documentation

Post by MelvinG24 »

I am looking to make my own SeaMonkey theme, but there is not tutorial nor documentation on the official website. I have tried edit an existing theme but it is hard to understand because, I can not find information online about the CSS element named on the template, making harder to understand what I am doing and which element I am looking for.
Frank Lion

Re: SeaMonkey Theme documentation

Post by Frank Lion »

MelvinG24 wrote: I can not find information online about the CSS element named on the template, making harder to understand what I am doing and which element I am looking for.
https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_margin.asp

Be sure to use the Dom Inspector as well - Menu>Tools>Web Development>Dom Inspector

This thread may also prove useful - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2777255
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
n0spam

Post by n0spam »

There's no docs. Even if you manage to google something that resembles docs, chances are 99.(9)% it won't be usable because the classes and ids have changed since then about two billion times.
There are two DOM inspectors under Tools -> Web Development.
1) The good old DOM Inspector (Ctrl+Alt+I) -> File -> Inspect Chrome Document.
2) If you hate yourself, use the new DOM Inspector in Browser Toolbox (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I). You'll need to enable Allow Remote Debugging.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

n0spam wrote:There's no docs. Even if you manage to google something that resembles docs, chances are 99.(9)% it won't be usable because the classes and ids have changed since then about two billion times.
Nope, I recently updated a SeaMonkey theme that was coded in 2006/2007 and the classes and ids were identical to today (apart from the Help buttons).
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
MelvinG24

Post by MelvinG24 »

Frank Lion wrote:
n0spam wrote:There's no docs. Even if you manage to google something that resembles docs, chances are 99.(9)% it won't be usable because the classes and ids have changed since then about two billion times.
Nope, I recently updated a SeaMonkey theme that was coded in 2006/2007 and the classes and ids were identical to today (apart from the Help buttons).
Thank you for the quick response to my question. But you have misunderstood what I was talking about. Here is a screenshot of the CSS file of a SeaMonkey Theme I am using to modify it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1piCvPM ... sp=sharing

@"Frank Lion", I'm happy to see you responded to my post because I have seen your theme for SeaMonkey, and they are very good. I have a question for you.

You have created a few themes for SeaMonkey; where can I read about the SeaMonkey UI elements for CSS? Or do you have any YT videos explaining how to create a custom SeaMonkey Theme?

Thank you for your time
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MelvinG24 wrote: Thank you for the quick response to my question. But you have misunderstood what I was talking about. Here is a screenshot of the CSS file of a SeaMonkey Theme I am using to modify it.
Well, how about you explain what I have misunderstood?

Your screenshot is only showing exactly what I would expect to see .css code-wise (apart from the fact that it is not a SeaMonkey theme at all *) and I have already given you info on how to find the node/id/class names (via the DOMi) and what the .css terms mean. That is the basis of all theme writing.

* that is a simplistic theme for Firefox 80+ on the Linux OS.
MelvinG24

Post by MelvinG24 »

Para quien lo pueda llegar a necesitar...

Aquí encontré este enlace que muestra los nombre de elementos CSS de la UI de SeaMonkey, algo mas o menos a lo que estaba preguntando

https://www-archive.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
MelvinG24

Post by MelvinG24 »

The other day I found a YouTube tutorial that may be helpful for anyone who like me, is trying to learn how to create a SeaMonkey CSS theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw_M7q3Mtag