SeaMonkey Not Allowed on Websi5ites?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
baumgrenze

SeaMonkey Not Allowed on Websi5ites?

Post by baumgrenze »

I'm finding it impossible to open websites when I browse using SM. Facebook won't open, even on my up-to-date Win10 machine. I tried an obscure website, purplemartin.org and got nowhere until I downloaded and installed Chrome. That worked fine.

If I put in the effort to shift to Firefox and Thunderbird, will I be better off? I see posts by users asking about moving to SM.

I came to SeaMonkey when Netscape Navigator stopped working. That's a long time ago.

I like the idea of a browser/mail program. I trust Mozilla. I do not trust Google and/or Microsoft. There is too much evidence that they violate privacy in an attempt to obtain more advertising by offering advertisers access to users based on their browsing and even the contents of their emails.

I tried Vivaldi and found their approach way too cute and cloying. It took major effort to find all the ways they cluttered up my storage.

What is the best path forward?
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
Frank Lion

Re: SeaMonkey Not Allowed on Websi5ites?

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote:What is the best path forward?
To try https://www.purplemartin.org/ again? It works fine for me, so it's always best to not assume that the sky is falling, without first testing on a clean profile or at least asking other people if they have the same problem.

I notice from your UA string shown under your post that you are using the 32 bit version of SeaMonkey, so it might be an idea to update to the proper 64 bit version if you can.

They are cases where SeaMonkey needs tweaking, like with Facebook - viewtopic.php?p=14955577#p14955577 or just will not work at all on a few sites and for those I use the Microsoft Edge browser.

But, seriously, does all that mean we have to endure these 'Goodbye, cruel world!' posts every time SM doesn't instantly work on a website? No testing, no trying, no looking for reasons or workarounds, just a blind assumption that the problem is totally unfixable and a new browser must be instantly sort?

I've used SeaMonkey for 9 years now only because it's a damn sight easier and better to use than the 10 years I spent with the constantly changing and breaking of Firefox and Thunderbird combo.

If you want to go back to all that for the sake of one purple martin website, then you go for it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Frank Lion wrote:
baumgrenze wrote:[....] I tried an obscure website, purplemartin.org and got nowhere until I downloaded and installed Chrome.
To try https://www.purplemartin.org/ again? It works fine for me, [....]
  • Image That page you mention, works perfectly fine. Using SeaMonkey 2.53.16 on GNU/Linux

- Graphic examples:

Cheers !! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Hello Frank
Thank you for your patience with an old man.
Here is what I find in Help>About for SM on this machine:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
Build identifier: 20230319204740

I may be reading this incorrectly, but I believe it says I am using the x64 version of SM

I should have waited for a new day to compose this. This morning I believe I followed the instructions for About:Config correctly.

For the sake of completeness I shut down the machine and restarted it.

Tried Facebook and encountered the same cryptic message:

Your Request Couldn't be Processed
There was a problem with this request. We're working on getting it fixed as soon as we can.

Return home

I returned to About:Config and navigated to the Facebook preference and found this:

general.useragent.override.facebook.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16

Perhaps there is a syntax error in the entry that I fail to see with my failing vision that will be obvious to you.

Once again, my apologies for posting a 'the sky is falling' message on a busy weekend.
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

baumgrenze wrote: [....] Tried Facebook and encountered the same cryptic message:

Your Request Couldn't be Processed
There was a problem with this request. We're working on getting it fixed as soon as we can.

Return home

I returned to About:Config and navigated to the Facebook preference and found this:

general.useragent.override.facebook.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16

Perhaps there is a syntax error in the entry that I fail to see with my failing vision that will be obvious to you.
  • WTF !! Image

You should pay attention, and read carefully the link indicated by Frank:

TPR75 wrote:
    [....] FB doesn't like Fx91 so you'll need to change User Agent. If you don't want to follow Frank's advice (such change will be for every website) then you can do this to FB only. Follow this:
    viewtopic.php?p=14906527#p14906527

Use e.g. this UA:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
    Oh! You must do this override for all Facebook's domains:
    facebook.com
    facebook.net
    fbcdn.net

Cheers !! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

baumgrenze wrote: Here is what I find in Help>About for SM on this machine:
Here is the UA string from your opening post here - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16

...which is the UA of a 64bit OS using a 32bit SM program. Maybe you were using a different computer for the first post in this thread.
baumgrenze wrote:general.useragent.override.facebook.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16

What we have here is a failure to communicate. The clue is in the word 'override'. Not much point in overriding your useragent with the actual useragent that you use anyway, is there?

Right click that general.useragent.override.facebook.com entry, select Modify and paste this in instead -

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)