Single profile under Windows and Linux

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Phaust

Single profile under Windows and Linux

Post by Phaust »

Hi,

Here's another question from Linux newbie: I have WinXP and Debian (Woody) on my computer (and, of course, Mozilla 1.5). I want to use the same profile (Bookmarks, Emails, Address book) under both OSes. For this, there's a FAT32 partition to harbor the profile. I have been able to set this profile for both Mozilla installations. Bookmarks and address book are working perfectly (I create a bookmark under Linux and it also appears under Windows).

However, there's a trouble with email messages: Mozilla appears to hard link the storing path. As Linux and Windows use different directory structure, the same path doesn't work. I have tried tricking with symbolic links but that doesn't appear to work. Has anyone been succesful breaking this limitations? Would it the possible to use relative paths for message storing folder?

Phaust
Finland
brykins

Post by brykins »

Please! If anyone has an answer to this (in nice easy steps that a Linux newbie can follow) then let me know. I sort of had it working under Thunderbird (but got fed up with the problems of not being able to open Mozilla while TB was running so went back to Mozilla Mail) but I can't get it to work for Mozilla.

Bryan Anderson
gazzer

Similar problems with Win98/Win2k profile sharing

Post by gazzer »

I've been trying to figure this one out as well. Two different system partitions - one 98, one 2k - running two installs of Moz 1.5, but pointing to the same profile which lives on a FAT32 partition which both OS's can see.

Many things work properly: same bookmarks, same address books, same Mail & Newsgroup settings.

Some things break: Themes have to be installed in each OS's version of Moz, and both Moz's can't "have" the same theme active - it breaks. Themes installed one one Moz will "show up" in the other Moz, but will break or work sporadically. As Phaust described, Moz has a hard path to mail & news files, so unless I juggle the system to get the same drive letter for that FAT32 profile partition, only one Moz at a time will be able to "see" the correct path to mail & news files.

I'm starting to think that the most robust solution will be to have separate profiles for each Moz, and edit each profile's prefs to point at the same files (bookmarks; address book; mail & news files, etc). This solution would have some drawbacks as well, but might be more "stable".

I'm still trying to figure out how to change prefs.js to point at specific files. Any tips are most welcome.