So many bugs! Is this Mozilla or AOHell?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
southerndeathcult

Post by southerndeathcult »

On the rare occasion that Mozilla functions properly, it's great. Unfortunately,
most of the time there are so many bugs and technical issues I feel like
I'm back with AOL. All I need now is an error message saying that Mozilla
has caused a fatal error and will now restart.

I saved my bookmarks to DVD before reformatting my hard drive and then tried
to reinstall them in Mozilla and it turned out that the html page that was
saved was just a Mozilla bookmarks page without any of my bookmarks. That's
okay, it was only a thousand or so bookmarks.

I then reinstalled my old IE favorites for Mozilla to import, yet, it would
not import the favorites after many attempts using different methods. Finally,
after solving that issue I spent several hours tweaking the Mozilla toolbar
and prefbar only to have the bars revert back to their previous state losing
hours of work.

Just for the sake of being able to use Mozilla I reformatted my hard drive
again and started over. Got the favorites imported into Mozilla bookmarks.
That worked for about two days. Now, when I open Mozilla it looks like some
freaked out WYSIWYG version of the browser. Totally unusable.

As much as I hate Microsoft and relish the thought of using any of their
products it looks as if I'm stuck with IE. At least it works.

See for yourself:
http://www.geocities.com/southerndethcu ... sucks.html
clav

Post by clav »

you've managed to set the pref xul.debug.box to true somehow. edit your prefs.js in your profile folder and remove the relevant line, which will look something like:

user_pref("xul.debug.box", true);

you might have set it via Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Debug > Debug XUL boxes if using a nightly build.
WeSaySo

Re: So many bugs! Is this Mozilla or AOHell?

Post by WeSaySo »

southerndeathcult wrote:I saved my bookmarks to DVD before reformatting my hard drive and then tried to reinstall them in Mozilla and it turned out that the html page that was saved was just a mozilla bookmarks page without any of my bookmarks. That's okay, it was only a thousand or so bookmarks.

So you didn't check that you actually backed up the right file before erasing the original.

southerndeathcult wrote:Just for the sake of being able to use Mozilla I reformatted my hard drive again and started over.

You reformatted and reinstalled the entire operating system twice just to install another program? Looks like you need to make sure you're doing the system install correctly.
Ad astra

Post by Guest »

No, actually I did verify the html file I saved was really my bookmarks. That's part of the problem. I prepared for the reformat for about a week to make sure everything was everything. I didn't reformat it just for Mozilla. After I reformatted the first time Mozilla was the only thing I had installed besides Norton Internet Security and System Works.

I have an Alienware Area51m with a 3.06 Gh P4 and 1024 mb of RAM running XP Pro and I was having all kinds of problems with it locking up whille doing next to nothing. Alienware had said from the beginning that it's a good idea to reformat every so often as a part of regular maintenance, contrary to what the IT guy at work said. So, do I listen to the company from whom I bought the computer or IT? The answer may seem obvious until you consider that Alienware tech support was telling me to press DEL upon reboot to boot from CD when the correct answer was to press F12. By the way, the procedure included with my Area51m, a $4,000 mobile PC, for system recovery are incorrect. Those instructions are useless and Alienware knows it.

Since Mozilla was having so many issues after installation and unistalling it and reinstalling it didn't do any good I figured what the hell. Why not reformat it again? Start fresh. Somehow, uninstalling it and reinstalling it left my previous settings. While this was going on the builds changed from 1.4 to 1.5. Use the latest version, right? No. That didn't help.

Remember, this whole process took over a week. I couldn't remember every detail if I had to to save my life. But, take my word it, it's been a major pain in the ass. As I've said, on the occasion Mozilla actually works I like it. The problem is it hardly ever worked right. There's a reason for this meassage board. It's full of bugs!

The first reply is close to the solution. Somewhere along the way I selected xul.debug.box. Debug sounds like a good idea. WRONG! Instead of being called xul.debug.box it should be called make.mozilla.useless.