Emergency: Bookmarks lost!!!

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
George P.

Emergency: Bookmarks lost!!!

Post by George P. »

Help me, please with the following. It is an emergency!!! While I was working in my PC, suddenly my system restarted with no reason. I said "OK! It's Windows...". When Windows XP Pro came back after the restart, I connected again with the internet and opened Netscape 7.1. But hello!!! Surprise!!!Netscape asked for username profile like I had done a fresh installation. All of my previous profile is there, but everything has been reset to zero. No bookmarks, no emails, etc!!!! I don't care about the rest, but only for my bookmarks! This is a work after long sleepless nights googling the web!!! I tried WindowsXP system restore, but nothing. And (how stupid can I be?) I have disabled Norton's Protection/Unerase Wizard. Any recommendations for restoring Netscape????? Thanx in advance....

George St. Pallis
fondacio

Post by fondacio »

I hope system restore hasn't already destroyed it, but... you can look for a file called "bookmarks.html" on your harddisk. It should be in the Documents and Settings\Mozilla\Profiles\<profile name>\<random string>.slt\ folder. Open it in your browser and see if it contains all your bookmarks.
y3k

Post by y3k »

orr try a file recovery program, this ones free http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
George P.

Post by George P. »

Thanx guys! The problem fondacio is that "bookmarks.html" for some reason has been overwriten as well as the email settings and all other settings. The funny thing is that the history file hasn't been changed as well as the file that keeps a record of all the passwords, the cache, etc. All this before and after the system restore.
Y3k great tool but unfortunately didn't help me to recover my modified "bookmarks.html" file. Fortunately I had a copy of my profile's directory. It is 3 months ago though, but at least I didn't lost everything.
Does anybody else has any suggestions? Anyway... Thanx again

Best regards,
George St. Pallis